THE OFFICIAL ACTIVITIES AND SOCIAL LIFE OF THE MEMBERS OF THE LWÓW BRANCH OF THE POLISH HISTORICAL SOCIETY DURING THE INTERWAR PERIOD
The article concerns the activities of the Lwów Branch of the Polish Historical Society from its foundation (16 January 1925) until the outbreak of World War II. The author presents the organizational structure of the group, its managing officers, its financial basis, the subjects of the held sessions, conference attendance, publications, and the social life of its members. The Lwów historical community was relatively numerous during the interwar period because the city boasted many institutions active in researching the past (the University, archives, museums). Hence, with respect to membership, the Lwów Branch of the Polish Historical Society was second only to Warsaw: shortly before the second world war it numbered 200 persons (while all the branches of the Society together encompassed ca 1300 members). Apart from discussing the official activities Ciara also points to the importance of informal meetings held at the restaurant 'U Rudka'. An important exchange of ideas took place during the members gatherings there, which while not recorded in the official archival materials of the Society, received specific attention in the memoirs of their participants.
CEJSH db identifier