ARCHAEOLOGICAL EXCAVATIONS OF TROPSZTYN CASTLE
The article presents the results of excavations carried out between 1993 and 2000 at Tropsztyn Castle. The original timber fortifications must have been burnt down during the Tartar invasion of 1241. In the 13th century they were replaced by a stone castle. However, at the end of the 13th or the beginning of the 14th century both the keep and the southern wall of the castle collapsed in a landslide. Restoration work continued for the next hundred years, culminating in an early 15th-century adaptation, which enhanced the castle's residential value. The earliest mention of castrum Tropsztyn comes from the year 1412. It was reduced to little more than an impressive landmark in the 16th century. Wrecked by a major fire, it became of little use as a residence and had to be abandoned.
CEJSH db identifier