DIETRICH VON ZEITZ AND JOACHIM HENNING'S EPITAPH IN THE BAUSKA HOLY SPIRIT CHURCH (Ditrihs fon Ceics un Joahima Heninga epitafija Bauskas Sv. Gara baznica)
The Bauska Holy Spirit Church houses a painted epitaph dedicated to Joachim Henning who died in 1677. At the turn of the 20th century the church had the largest number of painted epitaphs in Latvia, seven in total. In 1904 they were dismantled and relocated to the loft of the church where they had perished. (Some fragments were moved to the Latvian History Museum and the Rundale Palace Museum.) There were two artists' portraits painted on one of the carved frames but the text of dedication included their names 'Nicolaus Rabin from Lubeck and Dietrich von Zeitz from Hamburg'. It was the frame of the votive plate with a painted allegory of reward of the Virtue that the artists had dedicated to the church in 1665. The artists arrived in Bauska before I 665. Zeitz settled there to become the elder of the town in 1682, court official in 1702 and mayor in 1704. Nicolaus Rabin's name has been mentioned in documents only in 1665 and 1666. The votive plate and six epitaphs were created in the late 17th century. They featured a common artistic idea and technical treatment: painting with a Biblical subject enclosed by a painted and carved frame. They also were united by a common 'artistic style' The epitaphs can be attributed to Dietrich von Zeitz. The epitaph dedicated to Johann Georg Wittig aus Ohrdruff and his wife Elisabeth Magdalena Hering (1672) depicted the blind Tobit led by the angel Raphael, but patrons' portraits were painted on the frame. The Bauska mayor Daniel Buchholtz's epitaph (1676) featured a dedication at the centre and his portrait and coat of arms on the frame. The epitaph to the town council member Gotthard Vicke and Anna Koch (1672) showed a painted scene of Entombment of Christ. Johann Moller's and Elisabeth Pogg's epitaph (1694) depicted the Resurrection of Christ. Nicolaus von Brunnow's and Maria von Schoppingk's epitaph (1677) with the Crucifixion scene depicted the Brunnow family members at the foot of the cross.
CEJSH db identifier