Tradition and new services
A new historical research library was opened in autumn 2007 on the third floor of the Central Library of the Corvinus University of Budapest. The Library, founded as the library of the University of Economics of Budapest in 1948 had several legal predecessors: the Library of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Budapest (1850), the Library of the Department of Economics of the Hungarian Royal University (1925), and the Library of the Department of Economics of the University of Technical and Economic Sciences (1934). The current research library holds and makes available the historical items of the book collections of the above mentioned libraries, and also holds the original furniture and artefacts of these libraries. The most prestigious collection is the Chamber Library, founded in 1850. Between 1900 and 1904, under the direction of Ervin Szabo, the collection was developed into a high quality research library well ahead of its time. Its collection was opened to the wide public in 1901. The historical volumes were re-catalogued in 2006 in the framework of the Hungarian National Shared Catalogue project. The online cataloguing made it possible to access the owner stamps, ex libris and possessor labels of the historical books, which is a very important step made in the reconstruction of the history of the library collection.
CEJSH db identifier