THE HISTORY OF WALENTY ZEBROWSKI'S WARSAW POLYCHROME
According to monastic records, Brother Walenty Zebrowski (d. 1765), a painter for the Greater Poland (Wielkopolska) province of the Franciscan Observants became a member of the Warsaw convent of his order in May 1747. The polychrome decorating the interiors of St. Anne's church in Warsaw is supposed to have been the first for which he took the full responsibility of conceiving, although its actual execution was carried out both by himself and a second, unnamed painter working under his supervision. He was also the author of some of the altar paintings in the same church. The realisation of this particular, monumental polychrome had in the creative work of Zebrowski a fundamental significance while also representing a significant role in the artistic life in Warsaw during the first half of the 18th century.
CEJSH db identifier