Visible or Invisible Games? A Critique on the Future of the World Games
As the crowded calendar of world sport and the increasing competition between sporting festivals is likely to affect more second-tier global sporting festivals than the Olympic Games (Cashman 2004, p. 134), this paper attempts to answer a few questions concerning the future of the World Games, i.e. a multi-sport mega event. The first and primary question is whether it is worthwhile to host the World Games. In this paper reasoned justification will be provided with a critical eye. Furthermore, questions will be raised about the when and particularly about the where. The content of the World Games' programs will be briefly discussed and critically evaluated as well. As an example the author will use the 2009 World Games in Kaohsiung, Taiwan for discussion.
- Cashman, R. (2004). The Future of a Multi-Sport Mega-Event: Is there a Place for the Olympic Games in a ‘Post-Olympic’ World? In J. Bale & M. Christensen (Eds.) Post-olympism? Questioning sport in the twenty-first century. (pp. 119-134). Oxford, England: Berg.
- Ferstl, C. & Hsu, L.H. (2009). Mega-Sport-Events - Olympic Approaches after Beijing 2008. A paper prepared for 2009 Asian Association for Sport Management Conference June 10-13, 2009.
- Gratton, C. & Preuss H. (2008). Maximizing Olympic Impacts by Building Up Legacies. The International Journal of the History of Sport, 14, pp. 1922-1938.
- Hsu, L. (2008). Olympism and East Asia: A philosophic reflection. Presented for the Conference on The Olympics in East Asia: Nationalsim, Regionalism, and Globalsim on the Center Stage of World Sport. Yale University, 2008, October 3. In press.
- Jeng, L.J, Liao, F.C. (2008). Strategic Planning of World Games 2009 in Kaohsiung- From the Experience Olympic Games 2004 to KOC's World Games 2009. Proceeding of 2008 Sport and Recreational Management Conference. pp. 341-351.
- Naul, R. (2008). Olympic Education. Oxford: Meyer & Meyer.
- Olympic Programme Commision (2002). Review of the Olympic Programme and the Recommendations on the Programme of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad, Beijing 2008, IOC Executive Board, August
- Ren, H. (2008). Olympic Education and Cross-Cultural Communication. Olympic Studies Reader, Beijing: Beijing Sport University Press, vol 1, pp. 57-65.
- The World Games 2009 Kaohsiung (2009). Bulletin Vol.
- Wu, C.K. (2009). The impact for Chinese Taipei is Enormous. An interview of The World Games 2009 Kaohsiung. Newsletter Vol.