Tourism through the Eyes of the Holy See
The Vatican's vision of tourism is based on Christian humanism, integral humanism and personalism. At the very core of the vision are human beings, who are not only the creators of tourism but also its ultimate goal, and for this reason all values of the natural world should be unconditionally subordinated to the good that are people. Consequently, the fundamental goal of tourism is to satisfy the needs of exploration, relaxation, entertainment and, first and foremost, the spiritual and intellectual needs of every person. Tourism has to help build a sense of community. It should also contribute to the elimination of poverty and foster the sense of responsibility for the environment. Tourism must not be exclusive to the rich and it should never be a time of depravity, promiscuity and, consequently, the degradation of people. Tourism should become an opportunity for all people to discover their contemplative dimension, giving them a chance to see God in nature and first of all, in other people.
- Gałązka, G. (2002). Na szczyty z Janem Pawiem II/Climbing to the Summits with John Paul II/. Marki.
- John Paul II (1987) Encyclical Sollicitudo rei socialis (on the 20th anniversary of the Populorum progressio encyclical).
- John Paul II (1989). Message for the World Day of Peace. L'Osservatore Romano, issue no 12 bis.
- John Paul II (2000a). Homily for the Jubilee of Farmers.
- John Paul II (2000b). Technology and Nature: Two Challenges for Tourism at the Dawn of the 21st Century. Message of John Paul II for World Day of Tourism. At:
- John Paul II (2001a). Tourism: A Means of Peace and Dialogue between Civilizations. Message of John Paul II for the 22nd World Day of Tourism. At:
- John Paul II (2001b). God's Footprints in Nature. Contemplation Before "Angelus" in Les Comber. At:
- John Paul II (2002). Ecotourism, the Key to Sustainable Development. At:
- John Paul II (2003). Turystyka jako narzędzie walki z ubóstwem oraz źródło pracy i ładu społecznego. Orędzie Jana Pawła II na XXIV Światowy Dzień Turystyki. / Tourism as a Tool for Fighting with Poverty and as a Source of Work and the Social Order. Message of John Paul II for the 24th World Day of Tourism / At:
- John Paul II (2004). Sport and tourism: two living forces for mutual understanding, culture and the development of societies. Message of John Paul II for the 25th World Day of Tourism. At:
- Kiera, S. Sto świec dla Piera Georgia. /A Hundred Candles for Piera Georgia/. At:
- Krawczyk, Z. (2007). O turystyce i rekreacji. Studia i szkice. /On Tourism and Recreation. Studies and Essays/Warsaw: WSE.
- Martino, R. (card.), Marchetto A. (abp) (2006). Tourism Enriches. Message of the Vatican for World Day of Tourism. At:
- Ostrowski, M. (1997). Turystyka w myśli Jana Pawła II. /Tourism in the Thought of John Paul II/ Peregrinus Cracoviensis, issue no 5.
- Sodano A. (card.) (2005). Travel and transportation: from the imaginary world of Jules Verne to the reality of the 21st century. Message of Cardinal Angelo Sodano in the Holy Father's Name on the Occasion of the 26th World Day of Tourism. At: