Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis of International Standing in Group Competition in the Sport of Rhythmic Gymnastics
Background: Until now, analyses gave no information about the numerous quantitative parameters that might affect the level of performance of a group composition. The research was undertaken with a more advanced computer program to analyze competitive performance using the performance parameters such as space parameters, running path, throwing distances, movement network, arrangement forms, etc during the 2008 Baltic Rhythmic Gymnastics Cup (Senior) in order to find which quantitative and qualitative criteria distinguish the performance of the best teams.Material/Methods: Videos from the Baltic Rhythmic Gymnastics Cup 2008 in Poland were analyzed. In the final analysis results of national teams from Poland, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Japan and Lithuania were taken into consideration. Each team included 5 participant plus one substitute, aged 16-25 (senior group), practicing rhythmic gymnastics for 11 years. Participants executed 2 routines performance: with ropes and with hoops and clubs. The computer software "SIMI Scout" developed by University of Magdeburg in co-operation with the firm SIMI GmbH Munich was applied.Results: For the evaluation of results, data are summarized and considered logically by groups. The first group documents is the spatial behavior of 5 gymnasts in the competition area. The second group contains data on selected difficulties, such as mobility elements, waves, turns, balance elements and standing. In the third group, data are recorded for the behavior of the hand apparatus, for example, apparatus changes and distances covered by the hand apparatus without body contact. The fourth group gives an overview of the degree of difficulty of the techniques in different categories, while the fifth group contains data on the synchronicity of motor actions.Conclusions: The number of formation parameters, the throws parameters, the number of artistic elements parameters and the catch parameter can be considered as important criteria in the ropes performance of the group competition.This research failed to show any important criteria in the clubs and hoops performance of the group competition.
- Heinß M. Schallpegeldiagramme - ein Hilfsmittel für Leistungsdiagnostik in der Rhythmischen Sportgymnastik [Graphic aid for results analysis in rhythmic gimnastics]. Leistungssport 1993;5:26.
- Graf S, Nicklas I. Ergebnisse und Probleme aus Wettkampfanalysen der Rhythmischen Sportgymnastik [Results and competition analysis issues in rhythmic gymnastics]. Leipziger Sportwissenschaftliche Beiträge, 2001;42(2):103.
- Graf S. Wettkampfanalysen in der Rhytmischen Sposrtgymnastik [Competition analysis in rhythmic gymnastics] Hamburg 2004.
- Hökelmann A, Blaser P, Quantitative movement analysis of gymnastic performances in group competitions for qualitative assessment and for performance comparison. In Dancs H, Hughes M, O′ Donoghue P, editors Book of proceedings. WCPAS7, Szombathely Hungary: Berzsenyi Daniel College; 2006, 174-179.
- Lohse H, Ludwig R, Röhr M. Statistische Verfahren für Psychologen, Pädagogen und Soziologen [Statistics for psychologists, pedagogues and sociologists]. Berlin: Volk und Wissen; 1986.
- Hughes M, Bartlett R. The use of performance indicators in performance analysis. J Sport Sci 2002;20:739-754.[Crossref]