Anaerobic endurance of young swimmers aged 12 years
Study aim: To assess the effects of swimming training on anaerobic endurance, swimming velocity and chest girth in children aged 12 years.Material and methods: Two groups of children aged 12 years were studied. Group S (14 boys and 6 girls) training swimming at a sport-oriented school 3 days a week, 90 min per session, and Group R (6 boys and 6 girls) engaged in competitive swimming for 4 years. Children from Group S were subjected twice (in September and in February) to a swimming test consisting of 6 bouts of swimming the 12.5-m distance, spaced by 30-s intermissions. Mean and maximum swimming velocities in the entire test were recorded together with their ratio (Performance Index, PI). In children from Group R the swimming velocity at one 12.5-distance was recorded.Results: Apart from somatic indices, significant increases over the 5-month training period were noted in mean swimming velocity in boys and girls (p<0.001) and in maximum velocity in boys (p<0.01). No significant changes were noted in the performance index or in heart rate.Conclusions: Performance index as a measure of anaerobic endurance may serve as a useful tool in assessing the adaptive performance changes in young swimmers.
- Åstrand P. O. (1985) Sexual dimorphism in exercise and sport. In: I. Ghesquiere, R. D. Martin, F. Newcombe (eds.) Human Sexual Dimorphism. Taylor & Francis, London, pp. 247-256.
- Avlonitou E. (1994) Somatometric variables for preadolescent swimmers. J. Sports Med. Phys. Fitness 34:185-191.
- Bernardi et al. (2000) Oxygen consumption and intensity of exercise in sports for disabled athletes. Proc. 5th Scientific Congress, Paraolympic Games, Sydney 2000, OR4C05.
- Bompa T. (1994) Power Training for Sport: Plyometrics for Maximum Development. Mosaic Press, New York.
- Colwin C. (2002) Breakthrough Swimming. Human Kinetics Publishers, Champaign IL.
- Costill D. L., R. Thomas, R. A. Roberqs, D. Pascoe, C. Lambert, S. Barr, W. J. Fink (1991) Adaptations to swimming training: influence of training volume. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 23: 371-377.
- Dybińska E. (2005) The learning and teaching efficiency of swimming as related to selected somatic predispositions. In: Scientific Fundaments of Human Movement and Sport Practice, Sports Kinetic, Rimini 2005, p. 121.
- Dybińska E. (2006) Somatic conditions vs. swimming efficiency of 11-year-old boy and girl swimmers during the first year of the swimming training process. Ann. UMCS (Medicina, Sectio D)Lublin, 60(Suppl. 16/2):24-28.
- Engstrom I. (1971) Preliminary report on the development of lung volumes in young girl swimmers. A. Pediat. Scand. 217: 73-276.
- Maglischo E. (1993) Swimming Even Faster. Mayfield Publishing Co., Mountain View, CA.
- Mujika I., T. Busson, A. Geyssant, J. C. Chatard (1996) Training content and its effects on performance in 100 and 200 m swimmers. In: J. P. Troup, A. P. Hollander, D. Strasse, S. W. Trappe, J. M. Cappaert, T. A. Trappe (eds.) Biomechanics and Medicine in Swimming VII. E. & F. N. Spon, London.
- Narang I., E. Baraldi, M. Silverman, A. Bush (2006) Airway function measurements and the long-term follow-up of survivors of preterm birth with and without chronic lung disease. Pediatr. Pulmonol. 41:497-508.
- Olbrecht J. (2000) The science of Winding. Planning, Periodizing and Optimizing Swim Training. Luton, England
- Poprzęcki S., J. Cholewa, A. Zając (2005) Changes in anaerobic capacity of young swimmers in an annual training cycle. Ann. UMCS (Medicina, Sectio D)Lublin, 60(Suppl. 14/4):395-398.
- Sienkiewicz-Dianzenza E., P. Tomaszewski, R. Stupnicki (2005) "Performance index" and its application to the assessment of multiple bouts of leg exercise. Phys. Educ. Sport 49:113-116.
- Sienkiewicz-Dianzenza E., P. Tomaszewski, D. Iwańska, R. Stupnicki (2009) Anaerobic endurance of young untrained male and female subjects Biomed. Hum. Kinetics 1:16-19. DOI: 10.2478/v10101-009-0005-y.[Crossref]
- Smoll F. (2002) Children sport development. In: Children and Youth in Sport. Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co., Dubuque IA.
- Strzała M., A. Tyka (2009) Physical endurance, somatic indices and swimming technique parameters as determinants of front crawl swimming speed at short distances in young swimmers Medicina Sportiva 13:99-107.
- Stupnicki R., E. Sienkiewicz-Dianzenza (2004) "Anaerobic endurance" and its assessment. J. Hum. Kinetics 12:109-115.
- Sweetenham B., J. Atkinson (2003) Championship Swim Training. Human Kinetics, Champaign IL.
- Wilmore J. H., D. L. Costill (1999) Training for Sport and Exercise. Human Kinetics Publishers, Champaign IL.