The index of insulin resistance (FIRI) is not associated with plasma homocysteine levels in young, non-obese healthy men and women
Study aim: To evaluate plasma homocysteine (Hcy), insulin and glucose levels in blood and the insulin resistance index (FIRI) in young, healthy non-obese men and women.Material and methods: A total of 152 young, healthy, non-obese (BMI<30) men (n = 81) and women (n = 71) participated in the study. The following substances were assayed in blood using commercial kits: total plasma homocysteine by fluorescence polarisation immunoassay, plasma glucose - by the oxidase method, and insulin by radioimmunoassay using monoclonal antibodies. From the latter two, the index of insulin resistance (FIRI) was computed.Results: Mean plasma homocysteine concentration in men was significantly (p<0.001) higher than in women (10.3 ± 3.0 and 8.4 ± 2.4 μmol/l, respectively) and that of FIRI was significantly (p<0.001) lower than in women (1.310 ± 0.483 and 1.437 ± 0.420, respectively). Neither in men nor in women were plasma homocysteine concentrations correlated with FIRI.Conclusions: Although no association between circulating homocysteine and FIRI was found in young, non-obese men and women, the existence of such association in Type 2 diabetes cannot be ruled out.
- Department of Physiology, University of Physical Education, Warsaw, Poland
- Department of Biochemistry, University of Physical Education, Warsaw, Poland
- Department of Sports Medicine, University of Physical Education, Warsaw, Poland
- Department of Newborn Screening, Institute of Mother and Child, Warsaw, Poland
- Department of Physiology, Institute of Sport, Warsaw, Poland
- Björck J., M. Hellgren, L. Rästam, U. Lindblad (2006) Associations between serum insulin and homocysteine in Swedish population - a potential link between metabolic syndrome and hyperhomocysteinemia: The Skaraborg project. Metabolism 55:1007-1013.
- Cetinkaya A., B. Kantarceken, M. A. Buyukbese, M. Celik, F. I. Tolun (2007) Serum homocysteine levels in patients with non-alkoholic fatty liver disease. Eur. J. Gen. Med. 4:19-24.
- Chou S. T., L. E. Ko, P. S. Lim, J. L. Huang, C. S. Yang (2000) Effect of age and sex on plasma total homocyateine in Taiwanese subjects. Chin. J. Physiol. 31:159-164.
- Chwatko G., G. H. Boers, K. A. Strauss, D. M. Shih, H. Jakubowski (2007) Mutations in methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase or cystationine β-synthase gene, or a high-methionine diet, increases homocysteine thiolactone levels in humans and mice. FASEB 21:1707-1713.[WoS]
- Daly S., A. Cotter, A. E. Molloy, J. Scott (2005) Homocysteine and folic acid: implications for pregnancy. Sem. Vas. Med. 5:190-200.
- Derosa G., A. D'Angelo, E. Fogari, S. Salvadeo, A. Gravina, I. Ferrari (2007) Effects of nateglinide and glibenclamide on prothrombotic factors in naïve type 2 diabetic patients treated with metformin: A 1-year, double-blind, randomized clinical trial. Internal Med. 47:1837-1846.[WoS]
- Duncan M. H., M. M. Singh, P. H. Wise, G. Carter, J. A. Alaghband-Zadeh (1995) A simple measure of insulin resistance. Lancet 346:120-121.
- Emoto M., H. Kanda, T. Shoji, T. Kawagishi, M. Komatsu, K. Mori (2001). Impact of insulin resistance and nephropathy on homocysteine in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 24:533-538.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Fonseca V. A., L. M. Fink, P. A. Kern (2003) Insulin sensitivity and plasma homocysteine concentrations in non-diabetic obese and normal weight subjects. Atherosclerosis 167:105-109.
- Fukagawa N. K., J. M. Marin, A. Wurthman, A. H. Prue, D. Ebenstein, B. O'Rourke (2000) Sex-related differences in methionine metabolism and plasma homocysteine concentrations. Am.J. Clin. Nutr. 72:22-29.
- Gallistl S., K. Sudi, H. Mangge, W. Erwa, M. Borkenstein (2000) Insulin is independent correlate of plasma homocysteine levels in obese children and adolescents. Diabetes Care 23:1348-1352.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Giltay E. J., E. K. Hoogeeven, J. M. Elbers, L. J. Gooren, H. Asscheman, C. D. Stehouwer (1998) Effects of sex steroids on plasma total homocysteine levels: a study in transsexual males and females. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 83:550-553.
- Godsland I. F., J. R. Rosankiewicz, A. J. Proudler, D. G. Johnston (2001) Plasma total homocysteine concentrations are unrelated to insulin sensitivity and components of the metabolic syndrome in healthy men. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 86:719-723.
- Herrmann M., T. Widmann, G. Colaianni, S. Colucci, A. Zallone, W. Herrmann (2005) Increased osteoclast activity in the presence of increased homocysteine concentrations. Clin. Chem. 51:2348-2353.
- Ilhan N., M. Kucuksu, D. Kaman, N. Ilhan, Y. Ozbay (2008) The 677 C/T MTHFR polymorphism is associated with essential hypertension, coronary artery disease, and higher homocysteine levels. Arch. Med. Res. 39:125-130.[WoS]
- Kim J., M. N. Park, E. Kim, C. Han, S. A. Jo, I. Jo (2007) Plasma homocysteine is associated with the risk of mild cognitive impairment in elderly Korean population. J. Nutr. 137:2093-2097.
- Konstantinova S. V., S. E. Vollset, P. Berstad, P. M. Ueland, C. H. A. Drevon, H. Refsum (2007) Dietary predictors of plasma total homocysteine in the Hordaland Homocysteine study. Br.J. Nutr. 98:201-210.
- Li Y., C. Jiang, G. Xu, N. Wang, Y. Zhu, C. Tang (2008) Homocysteine upregulates resistin production from adipocytes in vivo and in vitro. Diabetes 57:817-827.[WoS]
- Lim H. S., Y. R. Heo (2002) Plasma total homocysteine, folate, vitamin B12 in Korean adults. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol. 48: 290-297.[Crossref]
- Nakhai-Pour H. R., D. E. Grobbee, M. Muller, M. Emmelot-Vonk, Y. T. van der Schouw (2006) Serum sex hormone and plasma homocysteine levels in middle-aged and elderly men. Eur.J. Endocrinol. 155:887-893.
- Ndrepepa G., A. Kastrati, S. Braun, W. Koch, K. Kölling, J. Mehilli (2008) Circulating homocysteine levels in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutr. Metab. Cardiovasc. Dis. 18: 66-73.
- Nygard O., H. Refsum, P. M. Ueland, S. E. Vollset (1998) Major life-style determinants of plasma total homocysteine distribution: the Hordaland Homocysteine Study. Am.J. Clin. Nutr. 67:263-270.
- Patterson S., P. R. Flatt, L. Brennan, P. Newsholme (2006) Detrimental actions of metabolic syndrome risk factor, homocysteine, on pancreatic β-cell glucose metabolism and insulin secretion. J. Endocrinol. 189:301-310.
- Rosolovă H., J.Šimon, O. Mayer, J. Racek, T. Dierzé (2002) Unexpected inverse relationship between insulin resistance and serum homocysteine in healthy subjects. Physiol. Res 51:93-98.
- Song Z., Z. Zhou, I. Deaciuc, T. Chen, C. J. McClain (2008) Inhibition of adiponectin production by homocysteine: a potential mechanism for alcoholic liver disease. Hepatology 47: 867-879.[WoS]
- Tanrikulu-Kiliç F., S. Bekpinar, Y. Unlűçerci, Y. Orhan (2006) Insulin resistance is not related to plasma homocysteine concentration in healthy premenopausal women. Physiol. Res. 55:285-290.
- Troughton J. A, J. V. Woodside, I. S. Young, D. Arveiler, D. Amouyel, J. Ferriérs (2007) Homocysteine and coronary heart disease risk in the PRIME study. Atherosclerosis 191:90-97.
- Tulloch-Reid M. K, R. L. Hanson, N. G. Sebring, J. C. Reynolds, A. Premkumar, D. J. Genovese (2004) Both subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue correlate highly with insulin resistance in African Americans. Obes. Res. 12:1352-1359.
- Wijekoon E. P., M. E. Brosnan, J. T. Brosnan (2007) Homocysteine metabolism in diabetes. Biochem. Soc.Trans. 35:1175-1179.[WoS]
- Williams K. T., K. LShalinske (2007) New insight into regulation of methyl group and homocysteine metabolism. J. Nutr. 137:311-314.