Diurnal hormonal responses in exercise and sports medicine research: range effect adjustments
The paper discusses the means in which exercise hormonal data are transformed and expressed as a way to deal with the inherent variability in endocrine measurements. Specifically, the aim of the paper is to present an alterative transformation adjustment method for expressing the exercise responses of hormones, especially those which exhibit a diurnal behaviour in their circulating concentrations. The suggested alterative adjustment method attempts to account for the influence of the "range effect" on diurnal hormonal data and the subsequent effects it may have on statistical, and perhaps physiological, outcomes and data interpretation.
- Dantas E. H. M., T. Pires, J. C. Castro, F. A. C. Bastos, C. A. S. Santos, L. F. Caetano (2008) Serum levels of IGF-1 in elderly women engaged in various motor activities. Phys. Educ. Sport 52:81-83. DOI: 10.2478/v10030-008-0017-3[Crossref]
- Goodman H. M. (2001) Endocrinology concepts for medical students. Adv. Physiol. Educ. 25:213-224.
- Hackney A. C. (2006) Stress and the neuroendocrine system: the role of exercise as a stressor and modifier of stress. Expert Rev. Endocr. Metab. 1:783-792.
- Hackney A. C., M. C. Premo, R. G. McMurray (1995) Influence of aerobic versus anaerobic exercise on the relationship between reproductive hormones in men. J. Sports Sci. 13:305-311.
- Hackney A. C., A. Viru (1999) Twenty-four hour cortisol response to multiple daily exercise sessions of moderate and high intensity. Clin. Physiol. 19:178-182.
- Hübner-Woźniak E., P. Ochocki (2009). Effects of training on resting plasma levels of homocysteine and C-reactive protein in competitive male and female wrestlers. Biomed. Hum. Kinet. 1:42-46. DOI: 10.2478/v10101-009-0011-0[Crossref]
- McMurray R. G., A. C. Hackney (2000) Endocrine responses to exercise and training. In: W. Garrett, D. T. Kirkendall (eds.) Exercise and Sport Science. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia. pp. 135-161.
- Tietz N. W. (1990) Clinical Guide to Laboratory Tests. Saunders Publishing, Philadelphia. pp. 78-130.
- Viru A., M. Viru (2001) Biochemical Monitoring of Sport Training. Human Kinetics Publishing, Champaign IL. pp. 170-192.
- Viru A. (1991) Adaptive regulation of hormone interaction with receptors. Exp. Clin. Endocr. 97:13-28.
- Widmaier E. P. (1992) Metabolic feedback in mammalian endocrine systems. Horm. Metab. Res. 24:147-153.
- Winer B. J. (1971) Statistical Principles in Experimental Design. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY. pp. 110-210.