The Effects of Water Exercises and Swimming on Physical Fitness of Children with Mental Retardation
The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of water exercises and swimming on physical fitness of children with mental retardation. Nine trainable and 7 educable male children (n = 16) were recruited from a rehabilitation center. The mean ages of the groups were 12.22±0.49 and 14.71±0.52 years, respectively. Training program was applied for 10-week, two times a week for 40 minute each session. Pre- and post-tests measurements were taken for cardiovascular endurance, muscle endurance, speed, static balance, and agility. Results showed that both groups improved significantly (p<0.05) in all dependent variables. Water exercises and swimming appear to be a viable and effective way to improve physical fitness capacity of the children with mental retardation.
- School of Physical Education and Sports, Anadolu University, Eskisehir, Turkey
- School of Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
- The College at Brockport, State University of New York
- School of Sport Sciences and Technology, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
- School of Physical Education and Sports, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
- Alpar R. Yüzme ve sutopu antrenmanlarının temelleri (principles of swimming, diving and water polo training). Yüzme Atlama Sutopu Federasyonu Yayınları, 1985. 1: 11-29.
- Baltaci G., Ergun N., Gönül B. Yüzme sporu yapan çocuklarda kardiyo-respiratuar özelliklerin karşıllaştırılması (Comparison of cardiovascular characteristics of children practicing swimming exercises). Fizyoterapi and Rehabilitasyon, 1996. 8: 16-23.
- Barton B.J. Aerobic dance and the mentally retarded: A winning combination. The Physical Educator, 1982. 39: 25-29.
- Bertoti D.B. Pediatric Physical Therapy. J.B. Lippincott Company: 1989. pp. 237-261.
- Boswell B. Comparison of two methods of improving dynamic balance of mentally retarded children. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 1991. 73: 759-764.[Crossref]
- Broach E., Datillo R. Aquatic therapy: A viable therapeutic recreation intervention. Ther Recreation J, 1996. 15: 213-29.
- Campion R.M. (1985). Hydrotherapy in Pediatrics. William Heinemann Medical Books Ltd.
- Engelman M.E., Morrow J.R. Reliability and skinfold correlates for traditional and modified pull-ups in children grades 3-5. Res Q Exercise Sport, 1981. 62(1): 88-91.
- Erbaugh S.J. Reliability of Physical Fitness Tests Administered to Young Children. Percept Motor Skils, 1990. 71: 1123-1128.
- Fernhall B., Pitetti K.H. Leg strength related to endurance run performance in children and adolescents with mental retardation. Pediatr Exerc Sci, 2000. 12: 324-333.
- Figura F., Gama G., Capranica L. Assessment of static balance in children. Sports Med Physl Fitness, 1991. 31(2): 236-242.
- Halle D.G., Halle J.W., Chung Y.B. The effect of aerobic exercise on physiological and behavioral variables of individuals with developmental disabilities. Res Dev Disabil, 1993. 14: 359-386.[Crossref]
- Horvat M. Physical Education and Sport for Exceptional Students. W C. Brown Publishers: 1990. pp. 93-104.
- Horvat M., Franklin C. The effects of the environment on physical activity patterns of children with mental retardation. Res Q Exercise Sport, 2001. 72(2): 189-195.[Crossref]
- Lepore M. (2000). Aquatics Adapted Physical Education and Sports, In J. P. Winnick (Ed.). IL: Human Kinetics.
- Martin K. Therapeutic pool activities for young children in a community facility. Phys Occup Ther Pediatr, 1983. 3:59-74.[Crossref]
- Masters L.F., Allen A., Ernest, K. L. Adapted Physical Education. London: Aspen Systems Corporation: 1983. pp. 24-304.
- McHugh E. The role of aquatic programs in facilities serving children with physical disabilities. Clin Kinesiol, 1995. 48: 83-85.
- Öktem F. (1987). Cocuk hekimi ve mental-motor retardasyon (Pediatrician and mental-motor retardation). Mezuniyet Sonrası XIII-Süreli Eğitim Semineri Kitapçığı. Ankara: Turkey.
- Özbeşer H., Ergun N. K.K.T.C. Özel Eğitim Kurumlarındaki Özürlülerin Fiziksel Uygunluklarının Değerlendirilmesi (Assessment of physical fitness of children in special education schools in Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus) V., Fizyoterapi' de Gelişmeler Sempozyumu Kitabı, Antalya: Turkey: 1994. pp. 316-324.
- Pitetti K.H., Daphne M. T. Cardiorespiratory responses of mentally retarded adults to air-brake ergometry and treadmill exercise, Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 1990. 71: 318-321.
- Pitetti K.H., Daphne M. T. Effects of a minimally supervised exercise program for mentally retarded adults. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 1991. 23(5): 594-601.[PubMed]
- Pitetti K.H., Campell K.D. Mentally retarded individuals: A population at risk. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 1991. 23(5): 586-593.[PubMed]
- Pitetti K.H., Yarmer D.A., Fernhall, B. Cardiovascular fitness and body composition of youth with and without mental retardation. Adapt Physl Educ Q, 2001. 18: 127-141.
- Pitetti K.H., Climstein M., Campell K.D., Barrett P.J., Jackson J.A. The cardiovascular capacities of adults with Down syndrome: A comparative study. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 1992. 24(1): 13-19.[PubMed]
- Pitetti K.H. A reliable isokinetic strength for arm and leg musculature for mildly mentally retarded adults. Arch Physical Med Rehabil, 1990. 71:669-672.
- Pitetti K.H., Yarmer D.A., Fernhall B. Cardiovascular fitness and body composition of youth with and without mental retardation. Adapt Physl Act Q, 2001. 18: 127-141.
- Ruoti R., Troup J.T., Berger R.A. The effect of nonswimming water exercises on older adults. JOSPT, 1994.19(3): 140-145.
- Schurrer R., Weltman A. Branimell, H. Effect of physical training on cardiovascular fitness and behavior patterns of mentally retarded adults. Am J Ment Retard, 1985. 90(2): 167-169.
- Shepherd R. (1980). Physiotherapy in Pediatrics, (2nd ed.) London. William Heinemann Medical Books Limited.
- Sherrill C. (2006). Adapted Physical Education and Recreation: A Multidisciplinary Approach, (6th ed.) New York: McGraw Hill.
- Skinner A.T., Thompson A.M. (Eds). (1983). Duffield's exercises in water. London: Bailliere Tindall.
- Sim L.J., Stewart C. The Effects of Videotape Feedback on the Standing Broad Jump Performances of Mildly and Moderately Mentally Retarded Adults. The Physical Educator, 1984. 4(1): 21-29.
- Yılmaz I, Ergun N., İnal D. 9-18 Yaş Grubu Mental Retardelerde Fiziksel Uygunluğun Belirlenmesi (Assessment of physical fitness of 9-18 years old children with mental retardation). V. Fizyoterapi' de Gelişmeler Sempozyumu Kitabı, Antalya: Turkey: 1994. pp. 502-551.
- Yılmaz I., Ergun N., Baltacı G. Mental Retarde Bireylerde Yüzme ve Bu Sporun Fiziksel Uygunluk Düzeyine Etkileri (The effects of swimming on physical fitness of mentally retarded populations) Özürlü çocuklar Rehabilitasyonu ve Egitimi Sempozyumu Kitabi. Ankara: Turkey: 1993. pp. 57-61.
- Vannier M., Fait H.F. (1975). Teaching Physical Education in Secondary Schools, (4th ed.) Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company.