Acute Effects of Hamstring Stretching on Sagittal Spinal Curvatures and Pelvic Tilt
The aim of this study was to determine acute effects of hamstring stretching in thoracic and lumbar spinal curvatures and pelvic tilt. Fifty-five adults (29.24 ± 7.41 years) were recruited for this study. Subjects performed a hamstring stretching protocol consisting of four exercises. The session consisted of 3 sets of each exercise and subjects held the position for 20 seconds with a 30-second rest period between sets and exercises . Thoracic and lumbar spinal angles and pelvic tilt were measured with a SpinalMouse in relaxed standing, sit-and-reach test and Macrae & Wright position. Hamstring extensibility was determined by active straight leg raise test and sit-and-reach score. All measures were performed before and immediately after the hamstring stretching protocol. Active straight leg raise angle and sit-and-reach score significantly improved immediately after the stretching protocol (p<0.001). Greater anterior pelvic tilt (p<0.001) and lumbar flexion (p<0.05) and a smaller thoracic kyphosis in the sit-and-reach (p<0.001) were found after the stretching protocol. However, stretching produced no significant change on spinal curvatures or pelvic tilt in standing and maximal trunk flexion with knees flexed. In conclusion, static stretching of the hamstring is associated to an immediate change in the sagittal spinal curvatures and pelvic position when performing trunk flexion with knees extended, so that allowing for greater lumbar flexion and anterior pelvic tilt and lower thoracic kyphosis. Hamstring stretching is recommended prior to sport activities involving trunk flexion with the knees straight.
- Department of Physical Education, University of Murcia
- Department of Physical Education, University of Almería
- Department of Physical Education, University of Murcia
- Department of Physical Activity and Sports, University of Murcia
- Borman NP, Trudelle-Jackson E, Smith SS. Effect of stretch positions on hamstring muscle length, lumbar flexion range of motion, and lumbar curvature in healthy adults. Physiother Theory Pract, 2011; 27: 146-154.
- Carregaro RL, Coury HJC. Does reduced hamstring flexibility affect trunk and pelvic movement strategies during manual handling? Int J Ind Ergon, 2009; 39: 115-120.[Crossref][WoS]
- Congdon R, Bohannon R, Tiberio D. Intrinsic and imposed hamstring length influence posterior pelvic rotation during hip flexion. Clin Biomech, 2005; 20: 947-951.[Crossref]
- Davis DS, Ashby PE, McCale KL, McQuain JA, Wine JM. The effectiveness of 3 stretching techniques on hamstring flexibility using consistent stretching parameters. J Strength Cond Res, 2005; 19: 27-32.[PubMed]
- Delisle A, Gagnon M, Sicard C. Effect of pelvic tilt on lumbar spine geometry. IEEE Trans Rehabil Eng, 1997; 5: 360-366.[Crossref][PubMed]
- DePino G, Webright WG, Arnold BL. Duration of maintained hamstring flexibility after cessation of an acute static stretching protocol. J Athl Train, 2000; 35: 56-59.
- de Weijer VC, Gorniak GC, Shamus E. The effect of static stretch and warm-up exercise on hamstring length over the course of 24 hours. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther, 2003; 33: 727-733.
- Esola MA, McClure PW, Fitzgerald GK, Siegler S. Analysis of lumbar spine and hip motion during forward bending in subjects with and without a history of low back pain. Spine, 1996; 21:71-78.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Gajdosik RL, Albert CR, Mitman JJ. Influence of hamstring length on the standing position and flexion range of motion of the pelvic angle, lumbar angle, and thoracic angle. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther, 1994; 20: 213-219.[Crossref]
- Guermazi M, Ghroubi S, Kassis M, Jaziri O, Keskes H, Kessomtini W, Hammouda IB, Elleuch MH. Validity and reliability of Spinal Mouse® to assess lumbar flexion. Ann Readapt Med Phys, 2006; 49: 172-177.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Halbertsma JP, van Bolhuis AI, Göeken LN. Sport stretching: effect on passive muscle stiffness of short hamstrings. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 1996; 77: 688-692.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Hartig D, Henderson J. Increasing hamstring flexibility decreases lower extremity overuse injuries in military basic trainees. Am J Sports Med, 1999; 27: 173-176.[PubMed]
- Jones MA, Stratton G, Reilly T, Unnithan VB. Biological risk indicators for recurrent non-specific low back pain in adolescents. Br J Sports Med, 2005; 39: 137-140.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Keller TS, Colloca CJ, Harrison DE, Harrison DD, Janik TJ. Influence of spine morphology on intervertebral disc loads and stresses in asymptomatic adults: implications for the ideal spine. The Spine J, 2005; 5: 297-300.[Crossref]
- Kippers V, Parker A. Toe touch test: A measure of its validity. Phys Ther, 1987; 67: 1680-1684.
- Li Y, McClure PW, Pratt N. The effect of hamstring muscle stretching on standing posture and on lumbar and hip motions during forward bending. Phys Ther, 1996; 76: 836-849.[PubMed]
- López-Miñarro PA, Alacid F, Muyor JM. Comparación del morfotipo raquídeo y extensibilidad isquiosural entre piragüistas y corredores. Rev Int Med Cienc Act, 2009; 36: 379-392.
- López-Miñarro PA, Alacid F, Rodriguez PL. Comparison of sagittal spinal curvatures and hamstring muscle extensibility among young elite paddlers and non-athletes. Int Sport Med J, 2010; 11: 301-312.
- López-Miñarro PA, Muyor JM, Alacid F. Influence of hamstring extensibility on sagittal spinal curvatures and pelvic tilt in high-trained young kayakers. Eur J Sports Sci, 2011. DOI: 10.1080/17461391.2011.575476.[Crossref][WoS]
- López-Miñarro PA, Alacid F. Influence of hamstring muscle extensibility on spinal curvatures in young athletes. Sci & Sports, 2010; 25: 188-193.[Crossref][WoS]
- Macrae IF, Wright V. Measurements of low back movement. Ann Rheum Dis, 1969; 28: 584-589.[Crossref]
- Magnusson SP, Simonsen EB, Aagaard P, Kjaer M. Biomechanical responses to repeated stretches in human hamstring muscle in vivo. Am J Sports Med, 1996; 24: 622-628.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Mannion, AF, Knecht K, Balaban G, Dvorak J, Grob D. A new skin-surface device for measuring the curvature and global and segmental ranges of motion of the spine: reliability of measurements and comparison with data reviewed from the literature. Eur Spine J, 2004; 13: 122-136.[Crossref][PubMed]
- McGill SM. Low back disorders. Evidence-Based prevention and rehabilitation. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2002.
- Murphy JR, Di Santo MC, Alkanani T, Behm DG. Aerobic activity before and following short-duration static stretching improves range of motion and performance vs. a traditional warm-up. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab, 2010; 35: 679-690.[PubMed][Crossref][WoS]
- Muyor JM, López-Miñarro PA, Alacid F. Influence of hamstring muscles extensibility on spinal curvatures and pelvic tilt in highly trained cyclists. J Hum Kinetics, 2011; 29: 15-23.
- Nelson RT. A comparison of the immediate effects of eccentric training vs static stretch on hamstring flexibility in high school and college athletes. N Am J Sports Phys Ther, 2006; 1: 56-61.
- O'hora J, Cartwright A, Wade CD, Hough AD, Shum GL. Efficacy of static stretching and proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretch on hamstrings length after a single session. J Strength Cond Res, 2011; 25: 1586-1591.[WoS]
- O'Sullivan K, Murria, E, Sainsbury D. The effect of warm-up, static stretching and dynamic stretching on hamstring flexibility in previously injured subjects. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 2009, 10: 37.[WoS]
- Peharec S, Jerković R, Bacić P, Azman J, Bobinac D. Kinematic measurement of the lumbar spine and pelvis in the normal population. Coll Antropol, 2007; 31: 1039-1042.[PubMed]
- Perrier ET, Pavol MJ, Hoffman MA. The acute effects of a warm-up including static or dynamic stretching on countermovement jump height, reaction time, and flexibility. J Strength Cond Res, 2011; 25: 1925-1931.[WoS][Crossref][PubMed]
- Polga DJ, Beaubien BP, Kallemeier PM, Schellhas KP, Lew WD, Buttermann GR, Wood KB. Measurement of in vivo intradiscal pressure in healthy thoracic intervertebral discs. Spine, 2004; 29: 1320-1324.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Puentedura EJ, Huijbregts PA, Celeste S, Edwards D, In A, Landers MR, Fernandez-de-las-Penas. Immediate effects of quantified hamstring stretching: Hold-relax propioceptive neuromuscular facilitation versus static stretching. Phys Ther Sport, 2011; 12: 122-126.[Crossref][WoS]
- Shrout PE, Fleiss J. Intraclass correlations: Uses in assessing rater reliability. Psychol Bull, 1979; 86: 420-428.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Smith A, O'Sullivan P, Straker L. Classification of sagittal thoraco-lumbo-pelvic alignment of the adolescent spine in standing and its relationship to low back pain. Spine, 2008; 33: 2101-2107.[WoS][PubMed][Crossref]
- Spernoga SG, Uhl TL, Arnold BL, Gansneder BM. Duration of maintained hamstrings flexibility after a one time, modified hold-relax stretching protocol. J Athl Train, 2001; 36: 44-46.
- Wilke HJ, Neef P, Hinz B, Seidel H, Claes LE. Intradiscal pressure together with anthropometric data - a data set for the validation of models. Clin Biomech, 2001; 1(Suppl 1): S111-126.
- Youdas JW, Haeflinger KM, Kreun MK, Holloway AM, Kramer CM, Hollman JH. The efficacy of two modified proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretching techniques in subjects with reduced hamstring muscle length. Physiother Theory Pract, 2010; 26: 240-250.