Use of New Media by Turkish Fans in Sport Communication: Facebook and Twitter
This research examines the use of Facebook and Twitter, two social networks, for sportive reasons in Turkey.To this end, the literature was surveyed and a 5 Likert type data collection tool consisting of 21 questions was developed by the researcher based on the expert views. The sample of the research included 460 sport fans who are college students at Abant İzzet Baysal University and Sakarya University.It was found in the research that 91.7% of the participants had a profile on Facebook and 13.3% had a profile on Twitter. The rate of opening an account on Twitter, which still has no version in Turkish language, was low. It was found that the fans mostly followed the official site of their favorite team on Facebook, got informed about the sports activities through Facebook and learned news, which they did not hear from other sources. It was also ascertained that male fans used social networks for sportive reasons more than female fans did (p<.05). It is possible to state that social networks such as Facebook and Twitter have become a rapidly-developing alternative medium in sports against traditional media such as newspaper and television.
- Agosto D, Abbas J. High School Seniors' Social Network and Other ICT Use Preferences and Concerns. Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 2010; 47(1) : 1-10[Crossref]
- Christofides E, Muise A, Desmarais S. Information Disclosure and Control on Facebook: Are They Two Sides of the Same Coin or Two Different Processes? CyberPsychology & Behavior, 2009; 12(3): 341-345.[WoS]
- Clavio G, Kian TM. Uses and Gratifications of a Retired Female Athlete's Twitter Followers International, Journal of Sport Communication, 2010; 3: 485-500
- Comscore. Turkey has 7th Largest and Most Engaged Online Audience in Europe
- Debatin B, Lovejoy J, Horn AK, Hughes BN. Facebook and Online Privacy: Attitudes, Behaviors, and Unintended Consequences, Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 2009; 15: 83-108.[Crossref][WoS]
- Edison Research. Twitter Usage in America: 2010. Retrieved 15 March 2011 from
- Facebook Statistics.
- Göker G, Demir M, Dogan A. Socialization and Sharing in the Network Society: An Emprical Research on Facebook. E-journal of New World Sciences Academy, 2010; 5 (2): 183-206
- Hambrick ME, Simmons JM, Greenhalgh P, Greenwell TC. Understanding Professional Athletes' Use of Twitter: A Content Analysis of Athlete Tweets. International Journal of Sport Communication, 2010; 3: 454-471
- Johnson S. How Twitter Will Change The Way We Live? (in 140 characters or less), Time, 2009; 173(23): 32-37
- Kassing JW, Sanderson J. Fan-Athlete Interaction and Twitter Tweeting Through the Giro: A Case Study. International Journal of Sport Communication, 2010; 3:113-128
- Knight K. Should Advertisers target online sports viewers? BizReport, 19 October 2007
- Loechner J. Who's Watching Sports Online?, Nielsen/Net Ratings AdRelevance Report
- Pegoraro A. Look Who's Talking-Athletes on Twitter: A Case Study. International Journal of Sport Communication, 2010; 3. 501-514
- Sakuma P. The Future of Facebook. Time, retrieved on 5 March 2008
- Sanderson J. Framing Tiger's Troubles: Comparing Traditional and Social Media. International Journal of Sport Communication, 2010; 3: 438-453
- Schoenstedt L. Jackie Reau Running a Social-Media Newsroom: A Case Study of the Cincinnati Plying Pig Marathon. International Journal of Sport Communication, 2010; 3: 377-386
- Sheffer ML, Schultz B. An Exploratory Study of How Twitter Is Affecting Sports Journalism, International Journal of Sport Communication, 2010a; 3: 472-484
- Sheffer ML, Schultz B. Paradigm Shift or Passing Fad? Twitter and Sports Journalism. International Journal of Sport Communication, 2010b; 3: 226-239
- Sportintelligence. How Galatasaray Became the World's No1 Sports Team on Facebook?
- Sporyolu. Futbolcularin Twitter Rahatsızlığı (Twitter inconvenience of players).
- Steinbach P. Twitter Rivals. Athletic Business, October, 2009
- Steinbach P. Twitter Value. Athletic Business, August, 2010
- Tagtmeier C. Facebook: Battle of the Social. Infotoday, September 2010; p. 8-10
- Türkspor. Galatasaray Facebook'un da Kralı. (Galatasaray Also King of the Facebook)
- Twitter Release.
- Weinburg T. The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web. New York: O'Reilly, 2009.