Characteristics of Team Leaders Play as exemplified by the European Championships In Basketball
This paper presents a statistical analysis of basketball team leaders performance during a championship status tournament in team sports using the example of the 36th European Championships EuroBasket 2009. The list of player-leaders of particular national teams was developed by means of the expert method, based on the analysis of qualitative and quantitative data. Empirical data gathered were taken from the website of EuroBasket 2009 Poland (www.eurobasket2009.org) and FIBA Europe (www.fiba.com). Formal statistical methods concerning sample description were used. The comparative analysis was conducted by means of various tabular and graphic techniques. The calculations were performed in a STATISTICA spreadsheet. The applied statistical methods allowed a series of conclusions to be drawn concerning the performance of leader-players and their cooperation with other players on the court. The knowledge of particular SGCs (standard game components) realization allows those dispositions of leader-players which are especially significant in the process of cooperation in a basketball team to be improved by coaching.
- Angel G. M, Lorenzo A, Sampaio J, Ibáñez SJ, Ortega E., Game-related statistics that discriminated winning and losing teams from the Spanish men's professional basketball teams. Collegium Antropologicum. 2008; 32: 451-6.
- Bazanov B., Vohandu P., Haljand R., Trends in offensive team activity in basketball. Education. Physical Training. Sport. 2006; 2: 5-11.
- Carron A. V., Bray S., Eys M. A., Team cohesion and team success in sport. Journal of Sports. 2002; 20: 119-126.[Crossref]
- Eom H., Schutz R., Statistical analyses of volleyball performance. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. 1992; 63: 11-18.
- Erčulj F., Dežman B., Vučković G., Perš J., Perše M, Kristan M., An analysis of basketball players' movements in the Slovenian Basketball League play-offs using the Sagit Tracking System, Facta Universitatis: Series Physical Education and Sport. 2008; 6: 75-85.
- Fernandez J., Camerino O., Anguera M. T., Jonsson G. K., Identifying and analyzing the construction and effectiveness of offensive plays in basketball by using systematic observation. Behavior Research Methods. 2009; 41: 719-30.[WoS]
- Gerrard B., A new approach to measuring player and team quality in professional team sports. European Sport Management Quarterly. 2000; 1: 219-234.
- Ibanez S. J., Pérez M. A., Macías M., Software for the basketball player's evaluation in real time. International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport. 2003; 3: 145-155.
- Joksimović A., Molnar S., Smajić M., Stanković D., An analysis of anthropomorphological characteristics of participants in the 2008 European Football Championship. Serbian Journal of Sports Sciences. 2009; 2, 71-79.
- Kim M., Self-monitoring and individual expectation of performance-norms in sport teams. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 1999; 89: 1129-1132.
- Lam E., Chen L., Zhang J. J., Robinson D. A., Ziegler, S. G., Preferred and perceived leadership styles by NCAA Basketball Players. AAHPERD National Convention and Exposition, Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. 2007; 78: 114.
- Milanovic D., Jukic I., Dizdar, D., Functional and motor abilities diagnostics as the criterion for the selection of basketball players. Kinesiology. 1996; 28: 46-50.
- Milijkovic Z., Jerovic S., Simenc Z., Evaluation of a model of monitoring individual and team performance during attack in a competitive game. Kinesiology. 2002; 34: 73-85.
- Montgomery P. G., Pyne D. B., Hopkins W. G., Dorman J. C., Cook K., Minahan C. L., The effect of recovery strategies on physical performance and cumulative fatigue in competitive basketball. Journal of Sports Science. 2008; 26: 1135-1145.[Crossref]
- Nutting A. W., Individual Tournament Incentives in a Team Setting: The 2008-09 NBA MVP Race. International Journal of Sport Finance. 2010; 5: 208-221.
- Ostojic S., Mazic S., Dikic N., Profiling in basketball: physical and physiological characteristics of elite players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning. 2006; 20: 740-745.[WoS]
- Pecha O., Crossan W., Attendance at basketball matches: a multilevel analysis with longitudinal data. Acta Kinesiologica. 2009; 3: 68-76.
- Pluta B., Methods of objectivied identification of leaders in team sport games for example of basketball. Monograph 385, AWF Poznań press. 2008.
- Romanowich P., Bourret J., Vollmer T. R., Further analysis of the matching law to describe two- and three-point shot allocation by professional basketball players. Journal of Applied Behavavior Analysis. 2007; 40: 311-5.
- Sampaio J., Godoy S. I., Feu S., Discriminative power of basketball game-related statistics by level of competition and sex. Perceptual & Motor Skills. 2004; 99: 1231-1238.
- Sampaio J., Lago C., Casais L., Leite N., Effects of starting score-line, game location, and quality of opposition in basketball quarter score. European Journal of Sport Science. 2010; 10: 391-397.[WoS][Crossref]
- Simović S., Komić J., Analysis of influence of certain elements of basketball game on final result based on differetiant at the XIII, XIV and XV World Championship. Acta Kinesiologica. 2008; 2: 57-65.
- Stonkus S., The retrospective attack structure analysis of top basketball teams. Ugdymas. Kuno kultura. Sportas. 2002; 5: 11-18.
- Šeparović V., Nuhanović A., Nonstandard indicators of the offensive effectiveness in basketball and successfulness of basketball teams. Sport Science. 2008; 1: 7-11.
- Trninić S., Dizdar D., Luksić E., Differences between winning and defeated top quality basketball teams in final tournaments of European club championship. Collegium Antropologicum. 2002; 26: 521-31.[PubMed]
- Yu Ch. L., A study of coach and peer leadership in Taiwanese high school basketball. AAHPERD National Convention and Exposition, Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. 2007; 78: 87.
- Zhao F., The comparative study of professional basketball teams in China and the U. S. A. Journal of Capital College of Physical Education. 2001; 13: 63-67.