Assessment of Demographic and Personality Characteristics of Elite Dancers in Turkey
In this study, a descriptive method was used in order to assess the demographic and personality characteristics of athletes in dancing sports.Data collected with ACL scale were evaluated with a computer programme and subscale scores were obtained. Five subscale categories which have the highest mean scores among all, were decided as typical characteristics of the athletes. The distributions of subscale scores according to demographic variables were analyzed by Mann-Whitney U test, and Pearson correlation test. In all analysis, results were tested two-sided and level of significance was accepted as 0.05.Preponderance over others, decisiveness, high self-esteem, masculine behavior were found significantly higher in younger athletes compared to old ones. On the other hand, acceptance of psychological consultation was found to be significantly higher among old athletes.
- Department of Maritime Transportation and Management Engineering, Istanbul Technical University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Medical School, Department of Psychiatry, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Physical Education and Sport College, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Faculty of Instruction, Marmara University, Istanbul, Turkey
- Allport GW. Personality: A Psychological Interpretation, Holt and Company, New York, 1937.
- Alter BJ. Creativity Profile of University and Conservatory Dance Students, Journal of Personality Assessment, 1984.48:2
- Bakker FC. Development of Personality in Dancers A Longitudinal Study, Personality and Individual Differences, Holland, 1991.12:671-681[Crossref]
- Giritli H, Civan I. Personality Study of Construction Professionals in the Turkish Construction Industry, Journal of Construction Engineering & Management, 2008.134.8:630-634[WoS]
- Gough GH, Heilbrun AB. Assess Psychological Traits With a Full Sphere of, 1967
- Descriptive Adjectives
- Guilford JP, Christensen PR, Bond NA, Jr., and Sutton MA. Technical appendices to the research bulletin: A factoranalytic study of human interests, Sheridan Supply Co., Beverly Hills, Calif. 1953
- Hoffman B, Jeffry A. Psychological Separation of Late Adolescents From Their Parents, Journal of Counseling Psychology, 1984. 31.2:170-178.[Crossref]
- Luthans F. Organizational Behavior, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1992
- Murray HA, Kluckhohn C. Personality in Nature, Society, and Culture, New York, Knopf, A. A. Second Revised Edition. Hardcover, 1953.IX:701-716
- Marchant-Haycox SE, Wilson GD. Personality and Stress in Performing Artist, Personality and Individual Differences, UK, 1992.13:1061-1068[Crossref]
- Savran C. Sıfat Listesinin (Adjective Check List) Türkiye Koşullarına Uygun Dilsel Eşdeğerlilik, Geçerlik, Güvenirlik ve Norm Çalışması ve Örnek Bir Uygulama. Yayınlanmamış Doktora Tezi, Istanbul, 1993.
- Savran C, Coknaz D, Guler L, Atalay M. Perceived Personality Characteristics of Sport, Ichper-Sd Europe Congress, Antalya, 2004
- Schneider ML, Graham DJ. Personality Physical Fitness, and Affective Response to Exercise Among Adolescents, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 2009.41:947-955.[WoS]