Secondary School Students’ Interest in Various Forms of Physical Activity
Purpose. Students’ interest in various forms of physical activity (individual and team sports) is known to differ depending on sex, place of residence, age, the time of year, and many other factors. The aim of the present study was to further analyze this issue on a group of secondary school students and to search for relationships between interest in different sports and sex, age and the school they attend. Methods. A standardized diagnostic questionnaire was administered to 475 first-, second-, and thirdyear students attending two randomly chosen secondary schools in Wrocław, Poland. Results. Significant differences in the interests of the analyzed group were found in regards to sex, age, and school. Girls were more interested in dancing, swimming, downhill skiing and hiking. Boys preferred team sports, swimming, downhill skiing, and martial arts. Conclusions. It seems advisable to identify and implement which physical activities secondary school students find most interesting in existing physical education curriculum so as to help develop positive attitude towards physical culture in later life.
- Katedra Zespołowych Gier Sportowych, Akademia Wychowania Fizycznego ul. Mickiewicza 58, 51-617 , University School of Physical Education, Wrocław, Poland, email@example.com
- University School of Physical Education, Wrocław, Poland
- University School of Physical Education, Wrocław, Poland
- 1. Bukowiec M., Physical education in transformations of the contemporary school [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizycznei Zdrowotne, 1992, 2, 49-52.
- 2. Osiński W., Theory of physical education [in Polish]. AWF, Poznań 1996.
- 3. Grabowski H., Theory of physical education [in Polish]. WSiP, Warszawa 1999.
- 4. Pawłucki A., A person in w pedagogical body: law of Olympic piece [in Polish]. Olsztyńska Szkoła Wyższa im. Rusieckiego, Gdańsk-Olsztyn 2007.
- 5. Cendrowski Z., Czerska E., Frołowicz T., Madejski E., Pośpiech J., Przybylski W. et al., Commentary to the program basis of the school subject of physical education, Program basis with commentaries [in Polish]. In: Physical education and culture for safety in the primary and secondary school [in Polish]. MEN, Warszawa 2008.
- 6. Rokita A., Planning the hours budget of physical education classes and satisfying interests of students in physical activity [in Polish]. In: Ślężyński J. (ed.), Effects of education in physical culture. PTNKF, Katowice 1998, 47-50.
- 7. Rokita A., The interest in sport activity among first year secondary school students in the years 1995-2001. Kinesiology, 2005, 37 (1), 99-105.
- 8. R okita A., Developing a timetable of physical education (PE) activities as an experiment to stimulate interest in movement activity among high school students. In: Parisi P. (ed.), Proceedings of the 4th Annual Congress of the European College of Sport Science. University Institute of Motor Science, Rome 1999, 397.
- 9. Strzyżewski S., Górna K., Physical lessons in students opinions [in Polish]. AWF, Katowice 1989.
- 10. Rokita A., Interests in physical activity with the ball of grade one secondary school students in the years 1995-2001 [in Polish]. Hum Mov, 2001, 1 (3), 93-96.
- 11. Rokita A., Interests in team sports games of secondary school students [in Polish]. In: Naglak Z., Panfil R. (ed.), Team sports games in physical education and sport. AWF, Wrocław 1995, 31-36.
- 12. Bartoszewicz R., Physical activity of lower secondary school students from south-west of Poland against the background of selected European centres [in Polish]. Studia i Monografie AWF we Wrocławiu, 2011, 101.
- 13. Górna K., Interests of secondary school students in forms of sports and recreation activity [in Polish]. Kultura i Edukacja, 1997, 3-4, 151-159.
- 14. Rokita A., Interests in physical activity of secondary school students & planning and implementation of physical education didactic classes [in Polish]. In: Ślężyński J. (ed.), Effects of education in physical culture. AWF, Katowice 1996, 189-194 .
- 15. Rokita A., Interests in forms of physical activity and attitudes towards physical culture of secondary school students [in Polish]. Doctoral Thesis, AWF, Wrocław 1997.
- 16. Bartoszewicz R., Frömel K., Motor activity of junior high school students in the period of socio-economic transformations in Poland and the Czech Republic. Hum Mov, 2006, 7 (1), 14-24.
- 17. Frömel K., Ludva P., Formankova S., Bartoszewicz R., Bebcakova V., Burdova I. et al., Structure of sporting interests and motor activities of young people. Telesna Kultura, 1995, 26, 5-47.
- 18. Frömel K., Bartoszewicz R., Aspect of organization in the structure of sporting interests and motor activity in children in the regions of Olomouc and Wroclaw. In: Pavlović M. (ed.), Sport Mladih. III Mednarodni Simpozij. Zbornik. Fakulteta za sport, Ljubljana 1998, 94-99.
- 19. Frömel K., Skalik K., Sigmund E., Vasendova J., Neuls F., Wirdheim E., Analysis of physical activity in 16 and 18 year-old grammar school students within international context. J Hum Kinet, 2000, 3, 103-113.
- 20. Buczyński G., NIK about physical education in schools [in Polish]. Available from: http://www.nik.gov.pl [Accessed: 09.10.2011].
- 21. Dobosz J., Trzcińska D., Who and why is exempted from physical education classes [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizycznei Zdrowotne, 2000, 2/3, 81-83.
- 22. Malska-Śmiałowska A., Kołodziej A., Reasons of absence during physical education classes of primary school students [in Polish]. In: Bartoszewicz R., Koszczyc T., Nowak A. (ed.), Didactics of physical education in the light of contemporary educational needs. AWF, Wrocław 2005, 147-153.
- 23. Joncich G., A Biography of Edward L. Thorndike. Wesleyan University Press, Middletown 1968.
- 24. Gurycka A., Development and formation of interests [in Polish]. PWN, Warszawa 1989.
- 25. Bryant P.E., Colman A.M. (ed.), Developmental psychology [in Polish]. Zysk i S-ka, Poznań 1997.
- 26. Carlson T.B., We hate gym: student alienation from physical education. J Teach Phys Educ, 1995, 14 (4), 467-477.
- 27. Frołowicz T., Assessment of effectiveness of physical education processes in the primary school [in Polish]. WychowanieFizyczne i Zdrowotne, 1993, 3, 83-90.
- 28. Hall K., Ordinance of Minister of National Education [in Polish]. Dziennik Ustaw z dnia 15 stycznia 2009, nr 4, poz. 17.