The Impact of Training on the 500 M Rowing Ergometer Time and an Assessment of the Applied Test's Relevancy
Purpose. The purpose of the conducted research was to determine the impact of training on the time spent covering a distance of 500 m on a rowing ergometer as well as an examination of the representativeness of the adopted sample in developing a method of providing an accurate and reliable assessment of the obtained results when measuring the short-term endurance capacity in a female student population. Methods. The research was conducted on 96 full-time female students at the UWM in Olsztyn using a "Concept II Indoor Rower" rowing ergometer, where the impact of regular training on the time of covering the 500 m distance was analysed. The results of the research were statistically analysed in order to examine the conformity of the obtained distributions in the time spent in covering the simulated distance, the subjects' mass and height, an adopted CPI value (height/body mass ratio), BMI index and the female students' slenderness ratios all within normal distribution. Mathematical (regressive) models describing the impact of the adopted factors on the time of covering the simulated distance were then developed. Results. On the basis of the obtained results and the developed mathematical relationships, it was noted that with further repetition of the exercise, the mean time of covering the 500 m distance on a rowing ergometer (based on the results obtained between the 1st to the 10th trial) decreased from ca. 15-20 s. The phenomenon of shortening the covered time may be caused by an improvement in the level of short-term endurance capacity as well as becoming familiarized with the movements (learning) performed on the rowing ergometer. Conclusion. A one-time attempt at covering the 500 m distance on a rowing ergometer, at the fastest pace possible and performed once a week, was found to improve the endurance capacity level of the studied subjects. The developed method found herein can be applied as an accurate and reliable test in assessing the time of covering the simulated 500 m distance on a rowing ergometer when determining short-term endurance capacity.
- Klusiewicz A., Faff J., Zdanowicz R., Physical efficiency of Polish female and male rowers [in Polish]. Sport Wyczynowy, 1997, 9-10/393-394, 35-40.
- Szopa J., Structure of human motor function: a revision [in Polish]. Antropomotoryka, 1993, 10, 217-227.
- Nevill A. M., Allen S. V., Ingham S. A., Modelling the determinants of 2000 m rowing ergometer performance: a proportional, curvilinear allometric approach. Scand J Med Sci Sports, 2011, 21 (1), 73-78, doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2009.01025.x.[WoS][Crossref]
- Nevill A. M., Beech C., Holder R. L., Wyon M., Scaling concept II rowing ergometer performance for differences in body mass to better reflect rowing in water. Scand J Med Sci Sports, 2010, 20 (1), 122-127, doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.2008.00874.x.[Crossref][WoS][PubMed]
- Mikulić P., Ruzić L., Predicting the 1000 m rowing ergometer performance in 12-13-year-old rowers: the basis for selection process? J Sci Med Sport, 2008, 11 (2), 218-226, doi: 10.1016/j.jsams.2007.01.008.[WoS][Crossref]
- Riechman S. E., Zoeller R. F., Balasekaran G., Goss F. L., Robertson R. J., Prediction of 2000 m indoor rowing performance using a 30 s sprint and maximal oxygen up-take. J Sports Sci, 2002, 20 (9), 681-687, doi: 10.1080/026404102320219383.[Crossref]
- Choszcz D., Podstawski R., Wysocka-Welanc M., Measurement of motor fitness of students using the rowing ergometer. Hum Mov, 2009, 10 (1), 46-52, doi: 10.2478/v10038-008-0024-5.[Crossref]
- Podstawski R., Choszcz D., Wysocka-Welanc M., Results of motoricity tests for female students, conducted on a rowing ergometer Concept II Indoor Rower [in Polish]. Antropomotoryka, 2006, 16 (34), 69-76.
- Podstawski R., Choszcz D., Wysocka-Welanc M., Assessing the adequacy of taking measurements of the short-term endurance capacity and the analysis of the impact of training on the results achieved by University of Warmia and Mazury students on a rowing ergometer [in Polish]. Antropomotoryka, 2009, 46, 55-63.
- Mynarski W., Structuralization and identification of motor abilities among children and youth in age 8-18 years [in Polish]. In: Raczek J. (ed.), The studies on human motor function 2 [in Polish]. AWF, Katowice 2000, 41-44.
- Osiński W., Anthropomotorics [in Polish]. AWF, Poznań 2003.
- Szopa J., Chwała T., Ruchlewicz T., Research on the structure of "energetic" motor abilities and validity of their testing [in Polish]. Antropomotoryka, 1998, 17, 3-43.
- Denisiuk L., Studies on the value of some physical fitness tests [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Sport, 1961, 2, 327-363.
- Wolański N., Human biological development [in Polish]. PWN, Warszawa 2005.
- Gierat B., Górska K., Bio-psychological background of motor abilities [in Polish]. In: Raczek J. (ed.), Studies on human motor function 5 [in Polish]. AWF, Katowice 1999, 47-48.
- Pilicz S., Development of physical fitness of students at the Warsaw University of Technology [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Sport, 1963, 1, 107-122.
- Kreft R., Choszcz D., Statistics (selected problems) [in Polish]. Wydawnictwo Wszechnicy Mazurskiej, Olecko 2000.
- Mikołajczak J., Mathematical statistics with WinStat on a CD [in Polish]. UWM, Olsztyn 2001.
- Stanisz A., A practical course in statistics with STATISTICA PL using examples from medicine. Volume II [in Polish]. StatSoft Polska, Kraków 2000.
- Stanisz A., Practical course in statistics with STATISTICA PL using examples from medicine [in Polish]. StatSoft Polska, Kraków 2001.
- Greń J., Mathematical statistics. Models and exercises [in Polish]. PWN, Warszawa 1984.
- Osowski S., The modelling of dynamic systems using SIMULINK language [in Polish]. Politechnika Warszawska, Warszawa 1997.
- Sztoff W., Modelling and philosophy [in Polish]. PWN, Warszawa 1996.
- Oktaba W., Elements of mathematical statistics and the methodology of experimentation [in Polish]. Akademia Rolnicza, Lublin 1998.
- Nowak E., Outline of econometric methods [in Polish]. PWN, Warszawa 2002.
- STATISTICA PL. User manual (vol. I-IV) [in Polish]. StatSoft Polska, Kraków 1997.
- Polański Z., Pietraszek J., Computer-aided planning and statistical analysis of innovative experimental research [in Polish]. StatSoft Polska, Kraków 2001.
- Zieliński W., Regression analysis - course materials [in Polish]. StatSoft Polska, Kraków 2001.
- Mikulić P., Smoljanowić T., Bojanić I., Hannafin J. A., Matković B. R., Relationship between 2000-m rowing ergometer performance times and World Rowing championships rankings in elite-standard rowers. J Sports Sci, 2009, 27 (9), 907-913, doi: 10.1080/02640410902911950.[Crossref]
- Ingham S. A., Carter H., Whyte G. P., Doust J. H., Physiological and performance effects of low-versus mixedintensity rowing training. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2008, 40 (3), 579-584, doi: 10.1249/MSS.0b013e31815ecc6a.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Mikulić P., Anthropomoetric and metabolic determinants of 6000 m rowing ergometer performance in internationally competitive rowers. J Strength Cond Res, 2009, 23 (6), 1851-1857, doi: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181b3dc7e.[WoS][Crossref]
- Secher N., Vaage O., Jensen K., Jackson RC., Maximal aerobic power in oarsmen. Eur J Appl Physiol, 1983, 51, 155-162, doi: 10.1007/bf00455178.[Crossref]
- Ingham S. A., Whyte G. P., Jones K., Nevill A., Determinants of 2000 m rowing ergometer performance in elite rowers. Eur J Appl Physiol, 2002, 88 (3), 243-246, doi: 10.1007/s00421-002-0699-9.[Crossref]
- Mleczko E., Review of views on human motoricity [in Polish]. Antropomotoryka, 1992, 8, 109-140.
- Raczek J., Structuralization and classification of human motor function [in Polish]. In: Osiński W. (ed.), Human motor function: its structure, variability and conditions [in Polish]. AWF, Poznań 1993, Monografia nr 310, 63-80.
- Raczek J., Development of endurance in school children and youth [in Polish], SIT, Warszawa 1981.
- Raczek J., Theoretical conception of human motoricity - attempt at structuralization and classification [in Polish]. In: Raczek J. (ed.), Basic research problems in physical culture sciences [in Polish]. AWF, Katowice 1991, 26-37.
- Sozański H., Endurance [in Polish]. In: Ulatowski T. (ed.), Theory and methodology of sport [in Polish]. SiT, Warszawa 1992, 239-261.
- Szopa J., Structure of motor abilities: identification and measurement [in Polish]. Antropomotoryka, 1998, 18, 79-86.