Effects of Hatha Yoga on the Shaping of the Antero-Posterior Curvature of the Spine
Purpose. The purpose of this study was to assess the influence of hatha yoga exercises on the shaping of the antero-posterior spinal curvature in first-year students of the University of Physical Education in Katowice who participated in hatha yoga classes. Methods. 72 women and 46 men took part in the study. Hatha yoga classes were held once a week for 90 minutes over a period of 15 weeks. Measurements of the subjects' spines were performed twice, first before the start of the classes and then after all the classes were finished. The students were divided into three groups, the first composed of all the participants in the study, the second of students whom attended the yoga classes and practiced hatha yoga in their free time, whereas the third group was composed of students for whom hatha yoga was their only form of physical exercise. The inclination of the anteroposterior curvature of the spine, i.e. the thoracic kyphosis and lumbar lordosis angles, were measured with a Rippstein plurimeter. Results. The results found that after 15 weeks of yoga, a decrease in the thoracic kyphosis angle (ThKA) and lumbar lordosis angle (LLA) occurred in most of the subjects. Differences between the values of these angles before/after yoga were statistically significant in women (p < 0.001), whereas in men, only a decrease of the thoracic kyphosis angle was statistically significant (p < 0.001). After completing the hatha yoga classes, the majority of students (50-62%) were found to have correct angular values of the thoracic kyphosis and lumbar lordosis when compared to the measurements taken before the start of classes (40-45%). Conclusion. An assessment on the shaping of the anteroposterior curvature of the spine finds that hatha yoga exercises have a positive impact on one's body posture in the sagittal plane.
- Nowotny J., Saulicz E., Some problems of nomenclature within the scope of faulty postures [in Polish]. Zeszyty Metodyczno-Naukowe AWF Katowice, 1993, 3, 5-15.
- Śleboda R., Effects of an integrated program of yoga and educational kinesiology on the musculoskeletal condition in children aged 8 years [in Polish]. AWF, Kraków 2002.
- Posadzki P., Selected aspects of yoga in view of manual therapy [in Polish]. Medycyna Manualna, 2005, 1-2, 9-20.
- Javalgekar R., Therapeutic yoga [in Polish]. Comes, Warszawa 1995.
- Raman K., A matter of health. Integration of yoga and Western medicine for prevention and cure. Eastwest Books, Chennai 1998.
- Tran M. D., Holly R.G, Lashbrook J., Amsterdam E. A., Effects of hatha yoga practice on the health-related aspects of physical fitness. Prev Cardiol, 2001, 4, 165-170, doi: 10.1111/j.1520-037X.2001.00542.x.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Raub J. A., Psychophysiologic effects of hatha yoga on musculoskeletal and cardiopulmonary function: A literature review. J Altern Complement Med, 2002, 6, 797-812, doi: 10.1089/10755530260511810.[Crossref]
- Grabara M., Szopa J., Hatha Yoga influence on practitioners' health state. Movement and Health. 5th International Conference, Głuchołazy 2006, Poland. University of Technology, Opole 2006, 235-241.
- Grabara M., Szopa J., Tadasana (The Mountain Pose) in the light of criteria of good posture in the sagittal plane [in Polish]. In: Sekułowicz M., Kruk-Lasocka J., Kulmatycki L. (eds.), Psychomotoryka, ruch pełen znaczeń. Wyd. Naukowe Dolnośląskiej Szkoły Wyższej, Wrocław 2008, 248-256.
- White A. A., Panjabi M. M. (eds.), Clinical biomechanics of the spine. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia 1978.
- Zwierzchowska A., Gawlik K., Dudek J., Graca J., Palica D., Evaluation of body posture in first-year students of the University of Economics in Katowice. Medycyna Sportowa, 2008, 24 (1), 37-44.
- Greendale G. A., Huang M. H., Karlamangla A. S., Seeger L., Crawford S., Yoga decreases kyphosis in senior women and men with adult-onset hyperkyphosis: results of a randomized controlled trial. J Am Geriatr Soc, 2009, 57 (9), 1569-1579, doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2009.02391.x.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Savić K., Pfau D., Skorić S., Pfau J., Spasojević N., The effect of Hatha yoga on poor posture in children and the psychophysiologic condition in adults. Medicinski Pregled, 1990, 43 (5-6), 268-272.[PubMed]
- Posadzki P., Parekh S., Yoga and physiotherapy: A speculative review and conceptual synthesis. Chin J Integr Med, 2009, 15 (1), 66-72, doi: 10.1007/s11655-009-0066-0.[WoS][Crossref][PubMed]