Morpho-Functional Development of Children and Adolescents from Jedlina-Zdrój with Regard to Objective Quality of Life of Their Families
Purpose. The purpose of this study was to determine relationships between the somatic build and motor abilities of children and adolescents from Jedlina-Zdrój and objective quality of life of their families. Basic procedures. 524 children aged 8 to 16 years were examined. Body height, body mass and three skinfold thickness measurements were taken as well as BMI and LBM were calculated. The subjects performed the following fitness tests: plate tapping, 10 × 5 m shuttle run, standing broad jump, sit-ups, 1 kg medicine ball throw and sit and reach. Maximum anaerobic power (MAP) was calculated. The study was completed with a survey questionnaire of parents on quality of life of their families. Main findings. Mean values of somatic parameters in boys examined represent an increasing gradient in relation to increasing objective quality of life. In girls the social-economic status of their families affected only their body height and body mass. In boys the average values of locomotive speed, lower limb explosive strength and maximum anaerobic ability test results increase along with improving social-economic status of their families. In girls the objective quality of life has a significant impact only on the upper limb movement speed. Conclusions. The objective quality of life differentiates the somatic growth of children examined. The social-economic status of children's families affects subjects' motor ability, but the correlations are lower and more multidirectional than in the case of somatic parameters.
- Bielicki, T., Welon, Z., Żukowski, W., Problems of biological inequalities within social classes [in Polish]. Materiały i Prace Antropologiczne, 1988, 109, 123-140.
- Ignasiak, Z., Sławińska, T., The age of menarcha in country girls from Lower Silesia in 1991 [in Polish]. Studia i Monografie AWF, Wrocław 1993, 36, 75-79.
- Szopa, J., Sakowicz, B., Differentation of the relative level of physical ability in Cracow girls and boys aged 8-18 years depending on selected social and family indices [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Sport, 1987, 1, 17-45.
- Bielicki, T., Welon, Z., Growth data as indicator of social inequalities: The case of Poland. Yearbook of Physical Anthropology, 1982, 25, 153-167.
- Hulanicka, B., Biological state of the Polish population from the anthropologist's point of view. In: Hulanicka B., Tyczyński J. (eds.), The Poles' state of health [in Polish]. Monografie Zakładu Antropologii PAN, Wrocław 1996, 15, 43-66.
- Dmoch, T., Rutkowski, J., Analysis of living standards and quality of life [in Polish]. Wiadomości Statystyczne, 1985, 10, 27-31.
- Bielicki, T., Szklarska, A., Kozieł S., Welon, Z., Transformation in the political system in Poland in the light of anthropological studies among 19-year-old men [in Polish]. Monografie Zakładu Antropologii PAN, Wrocław 2003, 23.
- Żak, S., Coordinative abilities of children and young adults from urban populations and their selected somatic parameters and physical activity [in Polish]. AWF, Kraków 1991, 43.
- Grabowski, H., Szopa, J., Eurofit. European Fitness Test [in Polish], AWF, Kraków 1988, 103.
- Januszewski, J., Ontogenetic variability of maximum anaerobic work - results of comparative studies [in Polish]. Antropomotoryka, 1992, 8, 75-87.
- Rusnak, Z., Kozyra, C., Example of survey research of the students' quality of life [in Polish]. Przegląd Statystyczny Śląska Dolnego i Opolskiego, 2001, 6, 7-16.
- Dziechciarz, J., Econometrics. Methods, examples, tasks [in Polish]. Wydawnictwo Akademii Ekonomicznej, Wrocław 2003.
- Bielicki, T., Szklarska, A., Welon, Z., Brajczewski, C., Social inequalities in Poland: anthropological research of recruits, 1965-1995 [in Polish]. Monografie Zakładu Antropologii PAN, Wrocław 1997, 16.
- Tanner, J., Education and physical growth. International Universities Press, New York 1978.
- Pytel, A., Kołodziej, H., Charzewski, J., Przęweda, R., Environmental modificators of body height and physical ability in boys [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Sport, 1995, 3, 29-32.
- Charzewski, J., Przewęda, R., Selected social conditions of physical growth and ability of Polish children. In: Pilicz S. (ed.), Development of physical ability and efficiency of children and young people [in Polish]. AWF, Warszawa 1988, 36-58.
- Przewęda, R., Environmental conditions of human motor function. In: Osiński W. (ed.), Human motor function - its structure, variability and conditions [in Polish]. AWF, Poznań 1993, 310, 161-174.
- Ljach, W., Starosta, W., Influence of inborn and environmental conditions on changeability of human coordination abilities [in Polish]. Wychowanie Fizyczne i Sport, 2002, 4, 497-510.
- Sławińska, T., Environmental conditions in motor development of rural children [in Polish]. Prace habilitacyjne AWF, Wrocław 2000.
- Szopa, J., Searching for motor structure: factor analysis of somatic, functional features and physical ability tests in boys and girls aged 8-19 years. AWF, Kraków 1988, 35.