Patients with Upper Extremity Deep Vein Thrombosis in a Clinical Material of Warsaw Medical University
The aim of the study was to analyze causes, location and signs and symptoms of the upper extremity deep vein thrombosis (UEDVP) in twelve patients who were referred for tests for trombophilia; these patients were treated from 2002 to 2009 in various Clinics of Warsaw Medical University.Material and methods. Retrospective analysis involved collection of clinical data of hospitalized patients related to signs and symptoms and location of the thrombosis, antithrombotic treatment and results of tests for thrombophilia. Patients with thrombosis caused by dialysis catheter, chemotherapy or paranteral nutrition and cardiac pacemaker electrode were excluded from the study.Results. Eight of the study subjects had a primary thrombosis: in as many as five of them this was an exercise-induced thrombosis. Secondary thrombosis was diagnosed in four patients, two of whom had a malignancy, the third one used oral contraceptives while the fourth, pregnant patient, had UEDVP associated with ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome.Conclusions. Pulmonary embolism (PE) without lower extremity thrombosis should prompt the search for UEDVT that can be asymptomatic. One of the study subjects underwent imaging studies that confirmed presence of thrombosis of the left brachiocephalic vein only after PE was detected.The study group contained many relatively young patients (five patients) with exercise-induced UEDVT, indicating possible thrombotic complications following too vigorous physical exercise.UEDVT that occurred in a pregnant patient was a complication of hormonal stimulation of ovaries used in the treatment of infertility. Pain and edema of the neck in such patients should prompt their attending physician to perform imaging studies. Should UEDVT be detected, antithrombotic heparin therapy should be started.
- Muñoz J, Mismetti P, Loggio R et al.: Clinical outcome of patients with upper-extremity deep vein thrombosis. Results from the RIETE registry. CHEST 2008; 133: 143-48.
- Joffe HV, Kuchner N, Tapson VF et al.: Upper-extremity deep vein thrombosis. A prospective registry of 592 patients. Circulation 2004; 110: 1605-11.
- Martinelli I, De Stefano V: Rare thromboses of cerebral, splachnic and upper-extremity veins. Thromb Haemost 2010; 103: 1-9.
- Flinterman LE, van der Meer FJM, Rosendaal FR et al.: Current perspective of venous thrombosis in the upper extremity. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6: 1262-66.[Crossref]
- Lechner D, Wiener C, Weltermann A et al.: Comparison between idiopathic deep vein thrombosis of the upper and lower extremity regarding risk factors and recurrence. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6: 1269-74.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Spaniolas K, Velmahos GC, Wicky S et al.: Is upper extremity deep venous thrombosis underdiagnosed in trauma patients? American Surg 2008; 74: 124-28.
- Spencer FA, Emery C, Lessard D et al.: for the Worcester Venous Thromboembolism Study: Upper extremity deep vein thrombosis: A community-based perspective. Am J Med 2007; 120: 678-84.
- Van Roden CJ, Tesslaar MET, Osanto S et al.: Deep vein thrombosis associated with central venous catheters - a review. J Thromb Haemost 2005; 3: 2409-19.[Crossref]
- Ong B, Gibbs H, Hetherington R et al.: Peripherally inserted central catheters and upper extremity deep vein thrombosis. Australasian Radiol 2006; 50: 451-54.
- Blom JW, Doggen CJM, Osanto S et al.: Old and new risk factors for upper extremity deep venous thrombosis. J Thromb Haemost 2005; 3: 2471-78.[Crossref]
- Bernardi E, Pesavento R, Prandoni P: Upper extremity deep venous thrombosis. Semin Thromb Haemost 2006; 32: 729-36.[PubMed]
- Linnemann B, Meister F, Schwonberg J et al.: Hereditary and acquired thrombophilia in patients with upper extremity deep-vein thrombosis. Results from the MAISTHRO registry. Thromb Haemost 2008; 100: 440-46.
- Hoffman U, Spannagl M: Deep venous thrombosis of the upper extremity: Is thrombophilia a relevant clinical issue? Thromb Haemost 2008; 100: 369-70.
- Martinelli I, Battaglioli T, Buccirelli P et al.: Risk factors and recurrence rate of primary deep vein thrombosis of the upper extremities. Circulation 2004; 110: 566-70.
- Zell L, Kinderman W, Marschal F et al.: Paget-Schroetter syndrome in sport activities. Case study and literature review. Angiology 2001; 52: 337-42.
- Chin-Wo W, Haw-Chong C, Cheng-Ooi L: Paget-Schroetter syndrome: Case report and review of the literature. Internet J Orthopedic Surg™ ISSN: 1531-2968.
- Gaffar M: Upper extremity deep vein thrombosis. Hospital Physician 2005; June: 29-34.
- Sajid MS, Ahmed N, Desai M et al.: Upper limb deep vein thrombosis: A literature review to streamline the protocol for management. Acta Haematol 2007; 118: 10-18.
- Lancaster SL, Owens A, Ramey LS et al.: Upper-extremity deep vein thrombosis. AJN 2010; 110: 48-52.
- Elman EE, Kahn SR: The post-thrombotic syndrome after upper extremity deep venous thrombosis in adults: A systematic review. Thromb Res 2006; 117: 609-14.
- Prandoni P, Polistena P, Brrnardi E et al.: Upper-extremity deep vein thrombosis. Risk factors, diagnosis, and complications. Arch Intern Med 1997; 157: 57-62.
- Prandoni P, Bernardi E, Marchiori A et al.: The long term clinical course of acute deep vein thrombosis of the arm: Prospective cohort study. BMJ 2004; 329: 484-85.
- Salomon O, Schiby G, Heiman Z et al.: Combined jugular and subclavian vein thrombosis following assisted reproductive technology - new observation. Fert Steril 2009; 92: 620-25.
- Abramov Y, Elchalal U, Schenker JG: An epidemic of severe OHSS: a price we have to pay? Human Reprod 1999; 14: 2181-83.[Crossref]
- Papanikolaou EG, Pozzobon C, Kolibianakis EM et al.: Incidence and prediction of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome in women undergoing gonadotropin-releasing hormone antagonist in vitro fertilization cycles. Fertility and Sterility 2006; 85: 112-20.
- Stewart JA, Hamilton PJ, Murdoch AP: Thromboembolic disease associated with ovarian stimulation and assisted conception techniques. Hum Reprod 1997; 12: 2167-73.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Scanzer A, Rochman CB, Rockman B et al.: Internal jagular vein thrombosis in association with the ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. J Vasc Surg 2000; 31: 815-18.[Crossref]
- Chipwete E, Bugren S, Rafla N: Thrombosis post ovarian hyperstimulation. Fertil Steril 2009; 91: 1956.e13-e14.[PubMed]
- Chan WS Ginsberg JS: A review of upper extremity deep vein thrombosis in pregnancy: unmasking the "ART" behind the clot. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 4: 1673-77.[Crossref][PubMed]
- Chan WS: The "ART" of thrombosis: a review of arterial and venous thrombosis in assisted reproductive technology. Curr Opinion Obstet Gynecol 2009; 21: 207-18.[Crossref]
- Bauersachs RM, Manolopoulos K, Hoppe I et al.: More on: the "ART" behind the clot: solving the mystery. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 438-39.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Phillips LL, Gladstone W, van de Wiele R: Studies of the coagulation and fibrinolytic system in hyperstymulation syndrome after administration of human gonadotrophins. J Reprod Med 1975; 14: 138-43.
- Di Nisio M, Van Sluis GL, Bossuyt PMM et al.: Accuracy of diagnostic tests for clinical suspected upper extremity deep vein thrombosis: a systematic review. J Thromb Haemost 2010; 8: 684-92.[PubMed][Crossref]
- Kearon C, Kahn SR, Agnelli G et al.: Therapy for venous thromboembolic disease: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines (8th edition). Chest 2008; 133(6Suppl): 454S-545S.