Computed Tomography colonography in Preoperative Evaluation of colorectal cancer
Computed tomographic colonography (CTC) has the potential to become an accepted technique for detecting of colorectal cancer.The aim of the study was to evaluate usefulness of CTC in preoperative evaluation of colorectal tumors and the regions of colon endoscopically unavailable.Material and methods. A total of 49 patients with colorectal tumors identified at conventional colonoscopy were included. In all these patients CTC was performed and results were compared with colonoscopy. In addition in CTC infiltration of surrounding tissues, organs, lymph nodes and liver were assessed. Findings were compared with contrast-enhanced CT of abdomen.Results. Colonoscopy was completed to the caecum in 24 (48.9%) patients. CTC failed only in one patient. CTC was congruent with colonoscopy in evaluation of tumor location and morphological type. In CTC two additional tumors were found proximately to occlusive masses, it is in endoscopically unavailable regions. Sensitivity and specificity of CTC comparing to CT in diagnosis of fat tissue infiltration and surrounding organs infiltration at the site of tumor were 95.5% / 50% and 100% / 86.9% respectively. Concordance of results in evaluation of lymph nodes was 93.9% while sensitivity and specificity for CTC was 84.6% and 100% respectively. Concordance of evaluation of liver metastases was 78.8%, while sensitivity and specificity for CTC was 61.5% and 90% respectively.Conclusions. CTC is a useful method in diagnostics of colorectal tumors. It allows to diagnose tumor, determine local tumor staging and detect synchronous lesions in endoscopically unavailable regions.
- Department of Radiology, 10 Military Clinical Hospital, Bydgoszcz
- Department of Gastroenterology, 10 Military Clinical Hospital, Bydgoszcz
- Hanson ME, Pickhardt PJ, Kim DH et al.: Anatomic factors predictive of incomplete colonoscopy based on findings at CT colonography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2007; 189: 774-79.
- Haykir R, Karakose S, Karabacakoglu A et al.: Three-dimensional MR and axial CT colonography versus conventional colonoscopy for detection of colon pathologies. World J Gastroenterol 2006; 12: 2345-50.
- Haykir R, Karakose S, Karabacakoglu A et al.: Detection of colonic masses with MR colonography. Turk J Gastroenterol 2006; 17: 191-97.
- Morrin MM, Farrell RJ, Raptopoulos V et al.: Role of virtual computed tomographic colonography in patients with colorectal cancers and obstructing colorectal lesions. Dis Colon Rectum 2000; 43: 303-11.
- Filippone A, Ambrosini R, Fuschi M et al.: Pre-operative T and N staging of colorectal cancer: accuracy of contrast-enhanced multi-detector row CT colonography - initial experience. Radiology 2004; 231: 83-90.
- van DJ, Cotton P, Johnson CD et al.: AGA future trends report: CT colonography. Gastroenterology 2004; 127: 970-84.
- Chung DJ, Huh KC, Choi WJ et al.: CT colonography using 16-MDCT in the evaluation of colorectal cancer. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2005; 184: 98-103.
- Anonymous Position of the American Gastroen-terological Association (AGA) Institute on computed tomographic colonography. Gastroenterology 2006; 131: 1627-28.
- Utano K, Endo K, Togashi K et al.: Preoperative T staging of colorectal cancer by CT colonography. Dis Colon Rectum 2008; 51: 875-81.[WoS]
- Halligan S, Altman DG, Taylor SA et al.: CT colonography in the detection of colorectal polyps and cancer: systematic review, meta-analysis, and proposed minimum data set for study level reporting. Radiology 2005; 237: 893-904.
- Mulhall BP, Veerappan GR, Jackson JL: Meta-analysis: computed tomographic colonography. Ann Intern Med 2005; 142: 635-50.
- Pickhardt PJ, Choi JR, Hwang I et al.: Computed tomographic virtual colonoscopy to screen for colorectal neoplasia in asymptomatic adults. N Engl J Med 2003; 349: 2191-2200.
- Fenlon HM, McAneny DB, Nunes DP et al.: Occlusive colon carcinoma: virtual colonoscopy in the preoperative evaluation of the proximal colon. Radiology 1999; 210: 423-28.
- Doshi T, Rusinak D, Halvorsen RA et al.: CT colonography: false-negative interpretations. Radiology 2007; 244: 165-73.[WoS]
- Hoppe H, Netzer P, Spreng A et al.: Prospective comparison of contrast enhanced CT colonography and conventional colonoscopy for detection of colorectal neoplasms in a single institutional study using second-look colonoscopy with discrepant results. Am J Gastroenterol 2004; 99: 1924-35.
- van Gelder RE, Nio CY, Florie J et al.: Computed tomomraphic colonography compared with colonoscopy in patients at increased risk for colorectal cancer. Gastroenterology 2004; 127: 41-48.
- Rockey DC, Paulson E, Niedzwiecki D et al.: Analysis of air contrast barium enema, computed tomographic colonography, and colonoscopy: pro-spective comparison. Lancet 2005; 365: 305-11.
- Fenlon HM, Nunes DP, Schroy PC et al.: A comparison of virtual and conventional colonoscopy for the detection of colorectal polyps. N Engl J Med 1999; 341: 1496-1503.
- Iannaccone R, Laghi A, Catalano C et al.: Feasibility of ultra-low-dose multislice CT colonography for the detection of colorectal lesions: preliminary experience. Eur Radiol 2003; 13: 1297-1302.
- Gluecker TM, Johnson CD, Harmsen WS et al.: Colorectal cancer screening with CT colonography, colonoscopy, and double-contrast barium enema examination: prospective assessment of patient perceptions and preferences. Radiology 2003; 227: 378-84.
- Zalis ME, Barish MA, Choi JR et al.: CT colonography reporting and data system: a consensus proposal. Radiology 2005; 236: 3-9.
- Mang T, Maier A, Plank C et al.: Pitfalls in multi-detector row CT colonography: a systematic approach. Radiographics 2007; 27: 431-54.[WoS]
- Burling D, Halligan S, Altman DG et al.: CT colonography interpretation times: effect of reader experience, fatigue, and scan findings in a multi-centre setting. Eur Radiol 2006; 16.
- Mainenti PP, Cirillo LC, Camera L et al.: Accuracy of single phase contrast enhanced multidetector CT colonography in the preoperative staging of colorectal cancer. Eur J Radiol 2006; 60: 453-59.
- Silva AC, Vens EA, Hara AK et al.: Evaluation of benign and malignant rectal lesions with CT colonography and endoscopic correlation. Radiographics 2006; 26: 1085-99.
- Kim JH, Kim WH, Kim TI et al.: Incomplete colonoscopy in patients with occlusive colorectal cancer: usefulness of CT colonography according to tumor location. Yonsei Med J 2007; 48: 934-41.[WoS]
- Prokop M, Galanski M, van der Molen AJ et al.: Spiralna i wielorzędowa tomografia komputerowa człowieka. Medipage 2007; 47-83, 136-63, 406-89, 539-46, 557-85.
- Smith CS, Fenlon HM: Virtual colonoscopy. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2002; 16: 219-36.
- Pruszyński B: Radiologia - diagnostyka obrazowa, RTG, TK, USG, MR i medycyna nuklearna. PZWL, Warszawa 2005; 65-68, 284-98.
- Amin Z, Boulos PB, Lees WR: Technical report: spiral CT pneumocolon for suspected colonic neo-plasms. Clin Radiol 1996; 51: 56-61.