Optimal assignment of workers to supporting services in a hospital
Supporting services play an important role in health care institutions such as hospitals. This paper presents an application of operations research model for optimal allocation of workers among supporting services in a public hospital. The services include logistics, inventory management, financial management, operations management, medical analysis, etc. The optimality criterion of the problem is to minimize operations costs of supporting services subject to some specific constraints. The constraints represent specific conditions for resource allocation in a hospital. The overall problem is formulated as an integer program in the literature known as the assignment problem, where the decision variables represent the assignment of people to various jobs. The results of some computational experiments modeled on a real data from a selected Polish hospital are reported.
- Department of Applied Computer Science, Faculty of Management, AGH University of Science and Technology, al. Mickiewicza 30, 30-059 Kraków, Poland
- Department of Management and Systems Engineering, Faculty of Management, AGH University of Science and Technology, Kraków, Poland
- Bertsimas D, Tsitsiklis JN. Introduction to Linear Optimization. Athena Scientific, Belmont, Massachusetts, USA, 1997.
- Brandeau ML, Sainfort F, Pierskalla WP. Operations Research and Health Care. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, USA, 2004.
- Burrkard R, Dell'Amico M, Martello S. Assignment Problems. SIAM, Philadelphia, USA, 2008.
- Fourer R, Gay D, Kerninghan B. AMPL - A modelling programming language for mathematical programming. The Scientific Press Series, USA, 1993.
- Nemhauser GL, Wolsey LA. Integer and Combinatorial Optimization. John Wiley and Sons, New York, Toronto, Canada, 1999.
- Sawik B. Bi-Objective Integer Programming Approach to Optimal Assignment of Supporting Services in a Health-Care Institution. The 21st Conference of the European Chapter on Combinatorial Optimization (ECCO XXI) May 29-31, 2008, Dubrovnik, Croatia, 2008.
- Sawik B, Mikulik J. Model for Supporting Service Optimization in a Public Health Care Institution. EFOMP council and officer's meeting, 14th general assembly of the Polish Society of Medical Physics, European Conference Medical Physics and Engineering 110 years after the discovery of Polonium and Radium, 17-21 September 2008, Kraków, AGH, Polska Akademia Nauk, Poland, 2008.