The Place of Tourism in Promotional Policy of Communes from Eastern Poland
Introduction. Promotion in managing local government units constitutes a significant element of communication with various groups of stakeholders, mainly with inhabitants and tourists. This instrument is playing a more and more significant role in the competition for limited resources. Therefore, its significance for territorial marketing is growing. The aim of the study was to identify the directions and range of promotional activity undertaken by communes taking into account their type and financial resources devoted to fulfilling tasks within this area and to define their competitive position. Material and methods. The research was conducted in compliance with the principles of indirect measurement method and data were collected with the use of a questionnaire. Additionally, statistical methods and the author's own method of “assessing promotional position” of local government units were used. The analysis included results obtained from 50 communes from eastern Poland (27 rural, 10 urban and 13 urban-rural communes). Results and conclusions. The research made it possible to identify the competitive position of a commune concerning its promotional activity aimed at inhabitants and tourists, taking into account its territorial range. Additionally, differences in using particular promotional tools were revealed and differences concerning the territorial range and segments which the activities undertaken by the communes are aimed at were noted. The calculations showed the correlation between money spent on promotion by the examined units and their general revenue.
- Piątkowski M. (2004). The influence of information technologies on economic growth and work efficiency in Poland in the years 1995-2000. Gospodarka Narodowa 1-2, 37-52. [in Polish]
- Adamowicz M. (2008). Competitiveness of territorial units on a local scale. Roczniki Naukowe Stowarzyszenia Ekonomistów Rolnictwa i Agrobiznesu 10(2), 7-13. [in Polish]
- Bareja E. (2011). Significance of asset-related expenditures in creating competitiveness of towns and cities. Folia Pomeranae Universitatis Technologiae Stetinensis. Oeconomica 291(65), 7-16. [in Polish]
- Kożuch A., Kołoszko-Chomentowska Z. (2003). The commune budget as a tool of local development. In M. Adamowicz (Ed.), Strategies of local development. Volume II. Instrumentals aspects (pp. 177-187). Warszawa: Wydawnictwo SGGW. [in Polish]
- Chomiak-Orsa I., Flieger M. (2012). Stimulating local economic development. An attempt at evaluating the effectiveness of extra-budgetary activities of communes. Zeszyty Naukowe Wyższej Szkoły Oficerskiej Wojsk Lądowych 4, 177-185. [in Polish]
- Adamowicz M. (2003). Shaping local development. W M. Adamowicz (Ed.), Strategies of local development. Volume II. Instrumentals aspects (pp. 11-22). Warszawa: Wydawnictwo SGGW. [in Polish]
- Augustyn A. (2011). Territorial marketing as a factor in local development. Optimum. Studia Ekonomiczne 5(53), 99-113.
- Hospers G.J. (2004). Place marketing in Europe. The branding of the Oresund Region. Intereconomics. Review of European Economic Policy 39(5), 271-279.
- Prayag G. (2009). Tourists' evaluations of destination image, satisfaction, and future behavioral intentions - the case of Mauritius. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing 26, 836-853. [WoS]
- Bigne J., Sanchez M., Sanchez J. (2001). Tourism image, evaluation variables and after purchase behavior: Inter-relationships. Tourism Management 22(6), 607-616. [Crossref]
- Kotler P., Caslione J.A. (2009). Chaotics: the business of managing and marketing in the age of turbulence. New York: AMACOM.
- Gierszewska G., Romanowska M. (1998). Strategic analysis of a company. Warszawa: PWE. [in Polish]
- Fleisher C., Bensoussan B. (2002). Strategic and competitive analysis: methods and techniques for analyzing business competition. USA: Prentice Hall.
- Lisiński M. (2004). Methods of strategic planning. Warszawa: PWE. [in Polish]
- Stanisz A. (2006). Intelligible statistics course based on STATISTICA PL programme and examples from medicine. Volume 1. Basic statistics. Kraków: StatSoft Polska. [in Polish]
- Act of 8th March 1990 on communal authority (Official Journal of Laws 1990 No. 16 item 95 with later amendments). [in Polish]
- Dziekański P. (2012). Promotion as an element of communication between local authority unit and surroundings. Acta Scientifica Academiae Ostroviensis. Sectio A 1, 27-52. [in Polish]
- Guzal-Dec D., Zwolińska-Ligaj M. (2008). Promotional activities of communal offices as exemplified by selected rural communes of Lubelskie Voivodeship. Rozprawy Naukowe Państwowa Wyższa Szkoła Zawodowa im. Papieża Jana Paw- ła II w Białej Podlaskiej 2, 179-194. [in Polish]
- Rawski M. (2011). Selected difficulties regarding the realisation of a functional aspect in territorial marketing. Zeszyty Naukowe Uniwersytetu Szczecińskiego nr 596, Ekonomiczne Problemy Usług 56, 61-73. [in Polish]
- Marczak M. (2008). Analysis of tourism promotion in Pomerania communes. Zeszyty Naukowe Politechniki Rzeszowskiej 249, Zarządzanie i Marketing 13, 245-254. [in Polish]
- Kołomycew A. (2010). Promotion in the activities of public administration (as exemplified by the communes of Tarnobrzeg county). Polityka i Społeczeństwo 7, 90-99. [in Polish]
- Hu R., Blakely E.J., Zhou Y. (2013). Benchmarking the competitiveness of Australian global cities: Sydney and Melbourne in the global context. Urban Policy and Research 31(4), 1-18.
- Huggins R. (2003). Creating a UK competitiveness index: regional and local benchmarking. Regional Studies 37(1), 89-96. [Crossref]
- Szromnik A. (2002). Methodological problems of shaping marketing strategy of a spatial and administrative unit. Samorząd Terytorialny 7-8, 62-78. [in Polish].
- Poister T.H., Streib G. (2005). Elements of strategic planning and management in municipal government: status after two decades. Public Administration Review 65(1), 45-56. [Crossref]
- Jabłońska W. (2010). Urban promotion as the main function of territorial marketing. Zeszyty Naukowe Wyższej Szkoły Ekonomii i Informatyki 6, 71-86. [in Polish]