Food Authenticity and Safety in China: What about the Western World?
In last years there are numerous food safety incidents in China, and the consequence is that the consumers in this country are losing confidence in domestic food suppliers, and that food safety is becoming a controversial issue in this country. In order to improve this situation, Chinese government now prioritized safety regulation for food products and additives and specified the limits of potentially dangerous ingredients. Chinese scientist recognized the importance of omics in both food science and technology early on, and they will play a key role in realization of this process. In the second part, the issues of food safety and authenticity in Western World were discussed, and recent accidents were depicted. The continuing need for food safety and increasing demand for protection against adulteration of food products is also introducing a growing request for introduction of foodomics methods in food technology and quality control.
-  Josic, D., Application of Proteomics in Food Technology and Biotechnology, Proceedings, BIT’s 1st Annual World Congress of SQ Foods-2012, (2012), p. 69.
-  Huang, G. Hussain, M. A., Advances in Proteomics-based Detection Techniques in Listeria monocytogenes: a Potential Risk in New Zealand, Internet J. Food Safety, 14, (2012), 70-74.
-  Zilio Dinon, A., Monitoring of Genetically Modified Food Products Sold in Brazil, Proceedings, BIT’s 1st Annual World Congress of SQ Foods-2012, (2012), p. 64.
-  Han, J. Z., Wang, Y. B., Proteomics: Present and future in food science and technology, Trends Food Sci. Technol., 19, (2008), 26-30.[WoS]
-  Jiang Y, Xie P, Chen J, Liang G., Detection of the hepatotoxic microcystins in 36 kinds of cyanobacteria Spirulina food products in China, Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess., 25, (2008), 885-94.[Crossref][WoS]
-  Zhang J, Yan Q, Ji R, Zou W, Guo G., Isolation and characterization of a hepcidin peptide from the head kidney of large yellow croaker, Pseudosciaena crocea, Fish Shellfish Immunol., 26, (2009), 864-70.[PubMed]
-  Hu, Y., Stromeck, A., Chen, L., Gänzle, M. G., Proteolysis and Bioconversion of Cereal Proteins to Glutamate and Gammaaminobutyrate in Rye Malt Sourdoughs, Proceedings, BIT’s 1st Annual World Congress of SQ Foods-2012, (2012).
-  Gašo-Sokač, D., Kovač, S., Josić, D, Application of proteomics in food technology and food biotechnology : Process development, quality control and product safety. Food Technol Biotechnol, 48(3), (2010), 284-295.
-  Gašo-Sokač, D., Kovač, S., Josić, D., Use of proteomic methodology in optimization of processing and quality control of food of animal origin, Food Technology and Biotechnology, 49(4), (2011), 397- 412.
-  Brandão, A.R., Barbosa, H.S., Arruda, M.A.Z., Image Analysis of Two-dimensional Gel Electrophoresis for Comparative Proteomics of Transgenic nd Non-transgenic Soybean Seeds, J. Proteomics, 73, (2010), 1433-1440.
-  Foster, P., Top 10 Chinese Food Scandals, The Telegraph, December 13, (2012).
-  Woke, L., Food Safety on the Menu, China Daily, November 5, (2012) http://www.chinadailyapac.com
-  D’Alessandro, A., Zolla, L., We are what we eat: food safety and proteomics, J Proteome Res, 11(1), (2012), 26-36, http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/pr2008829.[Crossref][WoS]
-  Zhang D, Xie P, Chen J, Effects of temperature on the stability of microcystins in muscle of fish and its consequences for food safety. Bull. Environ, Contam. Toxicol. 84, (2010), 202-7.[WoS]
-  Toldrá, F, Nollet LML. (Eds.) Proteomics in Foods, Springer New York, Heidelberg, Dodrecht, London, 2013.
-  Food Research International, Vol 51, 2013, P. Ferranti, Guest Editor, Food Technology and Biotechnology, Vol. 50, 2012.
-  Picariello G, Mamone G, Addeo F, Ferranti P, Novel mass spectrometry-based applications of the ‘omics’ sciences in food technology and biotechnology, Food Technol Biotechnol, 50(3), (2012), 286-305.
-  Josić DJ, Kovač S, Application of proteomics in biotechnology - microbial proteomics, Biotechnol J, 3(4), (2008), 496-509.[PubMed]
-  Havelaar AH, Brul S, de Jong A, Zwittering MH, Ter Kuile BH, Future challenges to microbial food safety, Int J Microbiol, 139 (Suppl), (2010), S79-94.
-  Käferstein, F., Abdussalam, M., Food safety in the 21st century, Bull World Health Org, 77(4), (1999), 347-351.
-  Richard JL, Some major mycotoxins and their mycotoxicoses - an overview, Int J Food Microbiol, 119(1-2), (2007), 3-10.[WoS]
-  Leitner A, Castro-Rubio F, Marina ML, Lindner W, Identification of marker proteins for the adulteration of meat products with soybean proteins by multidimensional liquid chromatography - tandem mass spectrometry, J Proteome Res, 5, (2006), 2424-2430.[Crossref][PubMed]
-  Cozzolino R, Passalacqua S, Salemi S, Garozzo D, Identification of adulteration in water buffalo mozzarella and in ewe cheese by using whey proteins as biomarkers by matrixassisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry, J Mass Spectrom, 37, (2002), 985-991.[Crossref]
-  Russo R, Severino V, Mendez A, Lliberia J, Parente A, Chambery A, Detection of buffalo mozzarella adulteration by an ultra-high performance liquid chromatography tendem mass spectrometry methodology, J Mass Spectrom, 47, (2012), 1407-1414.
-  Lametsch R, Larsen MR, Essén-Gustavsson B, Jensen-Waern M, Lundström K, Lindahl G, Postmortem changes in pork muscle protein phosphorylation in relation to the RN genotype, J Food Agricult Chem, 59, (2011), 11608-11615.[WoS]
-  Fang, Gao, Deng, Qian, Han, Wang, Highly selective capture of phosphopeptides using a nano titanium dioxide-multiwalled carbon nanotube nanocomposite, Anal. Biochem, 423, (2012), 210-7.[WoS]
-  Wang Y, Zhang H, Tracking phospholipid profiling of muscle from Ctennopharuyngodon idellus during storage by shotgun lipidomics, J Agricult Chem 59, (2011), 11635-11642
-  Reid, LM, O’Donnel CP, Downey G Recent technological advances for the determination of food authenticity, Trends Food Sci Technol, 17, (2006), 344-353.[Crossref]
-  Lei H, Shen Y, Song L, Yang J, Chevallier OP, Haughey SA, Wang H, Sun Y, Elliott CT, Hapten synthesis and antibody production for the development of a melamine immunoassay, Anal Chim Acta, 665, (2010), 84-90.[WoS]
-  Tong P, Zhang L, He Y, Tang S, Cheng J, Chen G, Analysis of microcystins by capillary zone electrophoresis coupling with electrospray ionization mass spectrometry, Talanta, 82, (2010), 1101-6.
-  García-Cañas V, Simó C, Herrero M, Ibáñez E, Cifuentes A, Present and future challenges in food analysis: Foodomics, Anal Chem, 84(23), (2012), 10150-10159.[Crossref][WoS]
-  Dong JX, Li ZF, Lei HT, Sun YM, Ducancel F, Xu ZL, Boulain JC, Yang JY, Shen YD, Wang H, Development of a single-chain variable fragment-alkaline phosphatase fusion protein and a sensitive direct competitive chemiluminescent enzyme immunoassay for detection of ractopamine in pork, Anal.Chim. Acta, 736, (2012), 85-91. [WoS]