Social Problems in Canadian Ice Hockey: An Exploration Through Film
While celebrated as a highly popular sport in Canada, there are many social problems existing within and around Canadian ice hockey. These problems are often overlooked and rarely depicted in academic and journalistic research on sport. These social problems include, but are not limited to: extreme violence resulting in injuries and death, hazing rituals, multiple types of sexual violence, drug abuse, financial corruption, as well as various forms of prejudice and discrimination. Prompted by pop-cultural depictions in films, this paper further identifies and explores social problems in Canadian ice hockey revealing the realism embedded within various seemingly fictional films.
- Amirault, C. (2010). “STU Officials Investigate Circumstances Surrounding Death.” News 95.7. November 3. http://www.news957.com/2010/11/03/stu-officials-investigate-circumstances-surrounding-death/.
- Bradshaw, J. (2014). “University of Ottawa Men's Hockey Team Suspended Over Alleged Sex Assault.” The Globe and Mail. March 3. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/university-of-ottawa-suspends-hockey-team-over-serious-misconduct/article17201525/.
- Branch, J. (2011). “Hockey Players' Deaths Pose a Tragic Riddle.” The New York Times. September 1. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/02/sports/hockey/deaths-of-three-nhl-players-raises-a-deadly-riddle.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0.
- Cobb, C. (2014). “Hockey Coach Kelly Jones Admits to Sexually Abusing Children.” Ottawa Citizen. April 6. http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Hockey+coach+Kelly+Jones+admits+sexually+abusing+children/9710363/story.ht ml.
- Criger, E. (2014). “Streetsville Hockey Coach Arrested in 90s Sexual Assault.” City News Toronto. May 7. http://www.citynews.ca/2014/05/07/streetsville-hockey-coach-arrested-in-90s-sexual-assault/.
- Duhatschek, E. (2012). “Former NHL Tough Guy Bob Probert Dead at Age 45.” The Globe and Mail. August 23. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/former-nhl-tough-guy-bob-probert-dead-at-age-45/article569025/.
- Elien, S. (2010). “Link Between Hockey and Rape Studied.” The Straight. May 12. http://www.straight.com/news/link-between-hockey-and-rape-studied.
- Etue, E., & Williams, M.K. (1996). On the edge: Women making hockey history. Toronto: Second Story Press. Fall and Rise of Theo Fleury. (2009) The Fifth Estate. Canadian Broadcasting Company.
- Fogel, C. (2012). Public responses to violence in Quebec junior hockey. Sport Science Review, 21(5), 173-182.
- Fogel, C. (2013). Game-Day gangsters: Crime and Deviance in Canadian Football. Edmonton, AB: Athabasca University Press.
- Fogel, C, & Sine, C. (2013). Public perceptions of the legal handling of sexual violence in Canadian youth sport, International Law Research, 2: 96-101.
- Gero, A. (2014). “Toronto Man Arrested and Charged with Sexually Assaulting Children.” Newstalk 1010. May 23. http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2014/5/23/toronto-man-arrested-and-charged-with-sexually-assaulting-children/print/.
- Goon. (2011). Film directed by Michael Dowse. Alliance Films Canada.
- Gross Misconduct. (1993). Film directed by Atom Egoyan. Canadian Broadcasting Company.
- Judd, A. (2014). “Former RCMP Officer, Minor Hockey Coach, Charged with Sexual Assault of Minors.” Global News Toronto. March 7. http://globalnews.ca/news/1193774/rcmp-to-announce-arrest-of-man-in-connection-to-8-historical-sex-assaults/.
- Macramalla, E. (2013). “Ryan Malone's Arrest and His Legal Future.” TSN. April 13. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=449282.
- Martino, A. (2009). “Tragic Death of Club Player Don Sanderson Forces Ho ckey World to Question Violence”. New York Daily News. January 19. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/tragic-death-club-player-don-sanderson-forces-hockey-world-question-violence-article-1.422210.
- Playing with Fire. (2011). Film directed by Larry Day and Matt Embry. HBO Canada.
- Playmakers. (2003). Created by John Eisendrath. ESPN Entertainment.
- Proteau, A. (2011). Fighting the good fight: Why on-ice violence is killing hockey. Mississauaga, ON: Wiley.
- R. v. Bertuzzi,  B.C.J. 2692.
- R. v. Green, , 1 O.R. 591.
- R. v. Maki,  16 D.L.R. (3d) 137.
- R. v. McSorley,  B.C.J. 1993.
- Rhind, D., Cook, E., and Dorsch, K.D. (2013). Looking at youth hockey from a human rights perspective, Sport and Society, 16(3), 254-266.
- Robidoux, M. (2012). Stickhandling through the margins: First Nations hockey in Canada. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
- Robinson, L. (1998). Crossing the line: Sexual harassment and abuse in Canada's national sport. Toronto: McClelland and Stewart.
- Rovell, D. (2004). “NFL Reaction to Series a Factor in Cancellation.” ESPN. February 4. http://espn.go.com/gen/news/2004/0204/1727165.html.
- Ruicci, P. (2012). “Greyhound Players Charged with Sexual Assault.” Toronto Sun. August 26. http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/26/players-on-ohls-greyhounds-accused-of-sex-assault.
- Seidel, J. (2014). “The Sudden, Silent, Tragic Exit of Terry Trafford.” USA Today. March 23. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/hockey/2014/03/23/terry-trafford-death/6803401/.
- The Rise and Fall of Theo Fleury (2010). The Fifth Estate. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
- Trota, B., & Johnson, J.. 2004. A brief history of hazing. In Making the Team: The Inside World of Sport Initiations and Hazing edited by Jay Johnson & Margery Holman. Toronto: Canadian Scholar's Press. Pp. x-xvi.
- Turner, R. (2011). “Hazing Victim had Water Bottles Tied to Genitals.” Winnipeg Free Press. October 26. http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Hazing-victim-had-water-bottles-tied-to-genitals-mother-132648138.html.
- Valentine, J. (2012). New racism and old stereotypes in the National Hockey League. In Race and Sport in Canadaedited by Janelle Joseph, Simon Darnell, and Yuka Nakamura. Toronto: Canadian Scholars' Press.
- Walter, K. (2013). “Goalie Gets Three Years for Third Sexual Assault.” St. Catherine's Standard. April 10. http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2013/04/10/goalie-gets-three-years-for-third-sexual-assault.
- Woods, R. (2007). Social issues in sport. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Youngblood. (1986). Film directed by Peter Markle. MGM Entertainment Company.