Advanced oxidation processes for decolorization of aqueous solution containing acid red G azo dye
Some investigations concerning the decolorization of Acid Red G azo dye by photooxidation with hydrogen peroxide were performed. The influences of pH, oxidant concentration, and the presence of Fe2+ or other metal ions (Co2+, Cu2+, Ni2+, Mn2+) as potential catalysts, were investigated. The best results were obtained in the presence of ferrous ions in acid and neutral media. The other ions are not as effective as Fe2+ for dye decolorization. Co2+ and Cu2+ ions have a catalytic action, at low concentration, within a wide range of pH. Ni2+ and Mn2+ ions have no catalytic effect in photooxidation with hydrogen peroxide at acid Ni2+ and Mn2+ ions have no catalytic effect in photooxidation with hydrogen peroxide at acid pH values, but show a weak action in alkaline media.
- Department Of Environmental Engineering, Faculty Of Industrial Chemistry of Technical University Of Iaşi, Bvd. D. Mangeron No. 71A, 700050, Iassy, Romania, email@example.com
- Department Of Environmental Engineering, Faculty Of Industrial Chemistry of Technical University Of Iaşi, Bvd. D. Mangeron No. 71A, 700050, Iassy, Romania, firstname.lastname@example.org
-  R. Andreozzi, V. Caprio, A. Insola and R. Marotta: “Advanced oxidation processes (AOP) for water purification and recovery”, Catalysis Today, Vol. 53, (1999), pp. 51–59. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0920-5861(99)00102-9[Crossref]
-  I. Arslan, I. Akmehmet Balciglu and T. Tuhkanen: “Oxidative treatment of simulated dyehouse effluent by UV and near-UV light assisted Fenton's reagent”, Chemosphere Vol. 39, (1999), pp. 2767–2783. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(99)00211-8[Crossref]
-  N. Azbar, T. Yonar and K. Kestioglu: “Comparison of various advanced oxidation processes and chemical treatment methods for COD and color removal from a polyester and acetate fiber dyeing effluent”, Chemosphere, Vol. 55, (2004), pp. 35–43. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2003.10.046[Crossref]
-  J.H. Baxendale and J.A. Wilson: “Photolysis of hydrogen peroxide at high light intensities”, Trans. Faraday Soc., Vol. 53, (1957), pp. 344–356. http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/tf9575300344[Crossref]
-  M.A. Behnajady, N. Modirshahla and M. Shokri: “Photodestruction of Acid Orange 7 (AO7) in aqueous solutions by UV/H2O2: influence of operational parameters”, Chemosphere, Vol. 55, (2004), pp. 129–134. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2003.10.054[Crossref]
-  L.E. Bennet and M. Drikas: “The evaluation of colour in natural waters”, Water Research, Vol. 27, (1993), pp. 1209–1218. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(93)90013-8[Crossref]
-  R.L. Cisneros, A.G. Espinoza and M.I. Litter: “Photodegradation of an azo dye of the textile industry” , Chemosphere, Vol. 48, (2002), pp. 393–399. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(02)00117-0[Crossref]
-  G.M. Colonna, T. Caronna and B. Marcandalli: “Oxidative degradation of dyes by ultraviolet radiation in the presence oh hydrogen peroxide”, Dyes and Pigments, Vol. 41, (1999), pp. 211–220. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0143-7208(98)00085-0[Crossref]
-  A.M. El-Dein, J.A. Libra and U. Wiesmann: “Mechanism and kinetic model for the decolorization of the azo dye Reactive Black 5 by hydrogen peroxide and UV radiation” , Chemosphere, Vol. 52, (2003), pp. 1069–1077.
-  C. Galindo, P. Jaques and A. Kalt: “Photochemical and photocatalytic degradation of an indigoid dye: a case study of acid blue 74 (AB74)”, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, Vol. 141, (2001), pp. 47–56. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1010-6030(01)00435-X[Crossref]
-  C. Hu, J.C. Yu, Z. Hao and P.K. Wong: “Effects of acidity and inorganic ions on the photocatalytic degradation of different azo dyes”, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, Vol. 46, (2003), pp. 35–47. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0926-3373(03)00139-5[Crossref]
-  N.H. Ince: “Critical effect of hydrogen peroxide in photochemical dye degradation”, Water Research, Vol. 33, (1999), pp. 1080–1084. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(98)00295-4[Crossref]
-  V.V. Ishtchenko, K.D. Hudderman and R.F. Vitkovskaya: “Part 1. Production of modified PAN fibrous catalyst and its optimisation towards the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide”, Applied Catalysis A: General, Vol. 242, (2003), pp. 123–137. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0926-860X(02)00511-2[Crossref]
-  S.F. Kang, C.H. Liao and S.T. Hung: “Peroxidation treatment of dye manufacturing wastewater in the presence of ultraviolet light and ferrous ions”, Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol. B65, (1999), pp. 317–333. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3894(99)00005-9[Crossref]
-  S.F. Kang, C.H. Liao and S.T. Po: “Decolorization of textile wastewater by photo- Fenton oxidation technology” , Chemosphere, Vol. 41, (2000), pp. 1287–1294. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(99)00524-X[Crossref]
-  A. Kunz, P. Peralta-Zamora and N. Duran: “Hydrogen peroxide assisted photochemical degradation of ethylenediaminotetraacetic acid”, Advances in Environmental Research, Vol. 7, (2002), pp. 197–202. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1093-0191(01)00126-5[Crossref]
-  J. Leeuwen, H. Schell, M. Berger, M. Drikas, D. Bursill, C. Chow and J. Clasen: “Comparison of coagulant doses determined using a charge titration unit with ajar test procedure for eight German surface waters”, J. Water SRT-Aqua, Vol. 46, (1997), pp. 261–273.
-  C.H. Liao, S.F. Kang and F.A. Wu: “Hydroxyl radical scavenging role of chloride and bicarbonate ions in the H2O2/UV process” , Chemosphere, Vol. 44, (2001), pp. 1193–1200. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(00)00278-2[Crossref]
-  M.E. Lindsey, G. Xu, J. Lu and M.A. Tarr: “Enhanced Fenton degradation of hydrophobic organics by simultaneous iron and pollutant complexation with cyclodextrins”, The Science of Total Environment, Vol. 307, (2003), pp. 215–229. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(02)00544-2[Crossref]
-  P.K. Malik and S.K. Saha: “Oxidation of dyes with hydrogen peroxide using ferrous ion as catalyst”, Separation and Purification Technology, Vol. 31, (2003), pp. 241–250. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5866(02)00200-9[Crossref]
-  P.K. Malik and S.K. Sanyal: “Kinetics of decolourisation of azo dyes in wasterwater by UV/H2O2 process”, Separation and Purification Technology, (2003), (article in press), www.sciencedirect.com
-  S. Meriç, D. Kaptan and T. Ölmez: “Color and COD removal from wastewater containing Reactive Black 5 using Fenton's oxidation process” , Chemosphere, Vol. 54, (2004), pp. 435–441. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2003.08.010
-  J. Monod: Memento. Technique de l'eau, 9th Ed., Degremont, Rueil-Malmaison, 1989.
-  M. Neamtu, A. Yediler, I. Siminiceanu and A. Kettrup: “Oxidation of commercial azo dye aqueous solutions by the photo-Fenton and Fenton-like processes”, Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, Vol. 161, (2003), pp. 87–93. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1010-6030(03)00270-3[Crossref]
-  E. Neyens and J. Baeyens: “A review of classic Fenton's peroxidation as an advanced oxidation technique”, Jounnal of Hazardous Materials, Vol. B98, (20030, pp. 33–50. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3894(02)00282-0[Crossref]
-  Y.M. Slokar and A.M. Le Marechal: “Methods of decoloration of textile wastewaters”, Dyes and Pigments, Vol. 37, (1998), pp. 335–356. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0143-7208(97)00075-2[Crossref]
-  J. Weinstein and B.H. Bielski: “Kinetics of the interaction of H2O and O2 with hydrogen peroxide. The Haber-Wiess reaction” , J. Am. Chem. Soc., Vol. 101, (1979), pp. 58–62. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja00495a010[Crossref]
-  W. Zhu, Z. Yang and L. Wang: “Application of ferrous hydrogen peroxide for treatment of DS-acid manufacturing process wastewater”, Water Research, Vol. 35, (2001), pp. 2087–2091. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(00)00462-0[Crossref]