Water quality study of the Struma river basin, Bulgaria (1989–1998)
The present paper deals with an estimation of the water quality of the Struma river. Long-term trends, seasonal patterns and data set structures are studied by the use of statistical analysis. Nineteen sampling sites along the main river stream and different tributaries were included in the study. The sites are part of the monitoring net of the region of interest. Seventeen chemical indicators of the surface water have been measured in the period 1989–1998 in monthly intervals. It is shown that the water quality is relatively stable throughout the monitoring period, which is indicated by a lack of statistically significant trends for many of the sites and by chemical variables. Several seasonal patterns are observed at the sampling sites and four latent factors are identified as responsible for the data set structure.
- Institute of Solid State Physics, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Tzarigradsko Chaussee Blvd. 72, 1172, Sofia, Bulgaria
- Faculty of Chemistry, University of Sofia “St. Okhridski”, J. Bourchier Blvd. 1, 1164, Sofia, Bulgaria, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Institute of Oceanology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, P.O. Box 152, 9000, Varna, Bulgaria
-  S. Stefanov, V. Simeonov, S. Tsakovski: “Chemometrical Analysis of Waste Water Monitoring Data from Yantra River Basin, Bulgaria”, Toxicological and Environmental Chemistry, Vol. 70, (1999), pp. 473–482. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02772249909358770[Crossref]
-  V. Simeonov, S. Stefanov, S. Tsakovski: “Environmetrical Treatment of Water Quality Survey Data from Yantra River, Bulgaria”, Mikrochimica Acta, Vol. 132, (2000), pp. 15–21.
-  S. Tsakovski, V. Simeonov, S. Stefanov: “Time-series Analysis of Long-Term Water Quality Records from Yantra River Basin, Bulgaria”, Fresenius Environmental Bulletin, Vol. 8, (1999), pp. 28–36.
-  Bulgarian State Standards, EN and ISO, Sofia, 1985.
-  V. Simeonov: Principles of Analytical Data Treatment, University Press, Sofia, 1998.
-  J.W. Einax, H.W. Zwanziger, S. Geiss: Chemometrics in Environmental Analysis, VCH, Weinheim, 1997. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/352760216X[Crossref]
-  E. Foerster and B. Roenz: Methoden der Korrelations- und Regressionsanalyse, Die Wirtschaft, Berlin, 1979.
-  R. Schlittingen and B.H. Jansen: Zeitreihenanalyse, Oldenburg, Muenchen, 1989.
-  C. Chatfield: The Analysis of Time Series: An Introduction, 4th Edition, Chapman and Hall, London, 1989.
-  P.J. Brockwell and R.A. Davis: Time Series: Theory and Methods, Springer, Heidelberg, 1987.
-  D.L. Massart and L. Kaufman: The Interpretation of Analytical Chemical Data by the Use of Cluster Analysis, J. Wiley, New York, 1983.
-  B. Vanderginste, D.L. Massart, L. Buydens, S. De Jong, P. Lewi, J. Smeyers-Verbeke: Handbook of Chemometrics and Qualimetrics, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1998.
-  G. Thurston and J. Spengler: “A Quantitative Assessment of Source Contributions to Inhalable Particulate Matter Pollution in Metropolitan Boston”, Atmospheric Environment, Vol. 19, (1985), pp. 9–25. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0004-6981(85)90132-5[Crossref]