The influence of temperature and photoinitiator concentration on photoinitiated polymerization of diacrylate monomer
The behavior of p-methoxybenzoyldiphenylphosphine oxide, previously synthesized, as a photoinitiator for the polymerization of diacrylate monomer, in the presence of 3% (w/w) tertiary amine (triethyl amine) as synergist additive, was studied. The influence of temperature in the range 30–90°C at 3% (w/w) photoinitiator concentration and the influence of the photoinitiator concentration in the range 0.5–3.5% (w/w) at 30°C was investigated by differential scanning photocalorimetry (photo-DSC). In all experiments the photopolymerization was performed at constant light intensity (3 mW cm−2). The maximum conversion was obtained at temperature of 90°C at 3% (w/w) photoinitiator concentration and 3% (w/w) triethyl amine. The optimal concentration of photoinitiator to obtain maximum conversion was 3% (w/w), at 30°C. No thermal polymerization occurred at higher temperature.
-  G.C. Roffey: Photopolymerization of Surface Coatings, Wiley Interscience Publications, London, 1982, p. 137.
-  T. Majima and W. Schnabel: “Photolytic α-scission in acyl phosphonic acid ester”, Bull. Soc. Chim. Belg., Vol. 99(11–12), (1990), pp. 911–917.
-  L. Macarie, G. Ilia, S. Iliescu, A. Popa, G. Dehelean, I. Manoviciu, A. Petrean and M.J.M. Abadie: “Phosphorus Compounds as Photoinitiators for Radicalic Polymerization”, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst., Vol. 416, (2004), pp. 165–174. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15421400490478957[Crossref]
-  L. Macarie, A. Petrean, G. Ilia, S. Iliescu, A. Popa and M.J.M. Abadie: “Photopolymerizable systems Containing Organophosphorus Compounds as Photoinitiators”, J. Polymer Research, in press, accepted 07 dec 2004.
-  K.K. Dietliker: Photoinitiators for Free and Cationic Polimerisation, Vol III of Chemistry and Technology of UV & EB Formulation for Coatings, Inks and Paints, P.K.T. Oldring, 1991, p. 177.
-  J.E. Baxter, R.S. Davidson and H.J. Hageman: “Acylphosphine Oxides as Photoinitiators for Acrylate and Unsatured polyester resins”, Eur. Polum. J., Vol. 24(5), (1988), pp. 419–424. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0014-3057(88)90077-8[Crossref]
-  D. Wang, L. Carrera and M.J.M. Abadie: “Photopolymerization of Glycidyl Acrylate and Glycidyl Methacrylate Investigated by Differential Photocalorimetry and FT-I.R.”, Eur. Polym. J., Vol. 29(10), (1993), pp. 1379–1386. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0014-3057(93)90197-N
-  J.E. Moore: “Calorimetric Analysis of UV Curable Systems”, In: UV Curing: Science and Technology, Technology Marketing Corp., Connecticut, USA, 1980.
-  L.R. Gatechair and D. Wostratzky: “Photoinitiators: An Overview of Mechanism and Applications”, Rad Tech Report (Rad Tech Internat. North America), Vol. 13(4), (1999), pp. 34.