Tourist Potential of the łęczna-Włodawa Lakeland and Its Application in the Context of the Functioning of the Polesie National Park
Introduction. The conducted study regarding the environmental and cultural tourism values, level of management and transport accessibility, as well as selected elements of the tourism policy of the local authorities involved the determination of the tourist potential of the łęczna-Włodawa Lakeland. Areas of the łęczna-Włodawa Lakeland most attractive in terms of landscape are under protection in the form of the Polesie National Park. The article discusses the issue of the tourist exploration of the PNP. It presents information on the tourism management and tourist traffic rate and variability in the years 1993-2013. Material and methods. The article was prepared based on direct observations and research by the authors in the łęczna-Włodawa Lakeland. The research procedure performed in 15 communes involved the analysis of factors influencing the features of the tourist space of the łęczna-Włodawa Lakeland. The tourist potential of the communes was assessed based on 18 features classified into three groups (tourist values, tourist management, and transport accessibility). The assessment was expressed in numerical values of synthetic measures of tourist attractiveness specified for each of the communes. The tourist attractiveness of the area and degree of development of the tourist and holiday function were assessed in the context of the description of its tourist potential. Results. The synthetic measures of tourist attractiveness calculated by means of the method of multidimensional comparative analysis varied from 0.142 (Hańsk) to 0.368 (Włodawa). Out of 15 communes located in the Lakeland, 5 communes were classified as very attractive, 7 as attractive, and 3 as moderately attractive. The very attractive communes include: Włodawa, Urszulin, Sosnowica, Uścimów, and Ludwin. Very attractive communes are distinguished by the highest degree of development of the holiday function. They show a varied degree of activity of the authorities - Włodawa (high activity), Sosnowica, Uścimów, Ludwin (moderate activity), and Urszulin (no activity). Very attractive communes show a varied degree of development of the tourist function. It is the basic function for Włodawa, supplementary function for Uścimów, and additional function for Sosnowica, Ludwin, and Urszulin. Conclusion. The organisation of tourism space in the łęczna-Włodawa Lakeland in the area of the Polesie National Park offers extensive possibilities of practicing various forms of tourism while maintaining the good condition of the environment.
- Józef Piłsudski University of Physical Education in Warsaw, Faculty of Tourism and Health in Biała Podlaska, Department of Tourism
- Maria Curie-Skłodowska University, Faculty of Earth Sciences and Spatial Management, Department of Regional Geography and Tourism, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maria Curie-Skłodowska University, Faculty of Earth Sciences and Spatial Management, Department of Regional Geography and Tourism
- 1. Mileska M.I. (1963). Tourist regions of Poland. Current state and potential development conditions. Prace Geograficzne 43, Warszawa: Polska Akademia Nauk. [in Polish]
- 2. Wyrzykowski J. (1986). Geographical conditions of development of holiday recreation tourism in Poland. Acta Univ. Wratislav. 935, Studia geograficzne, XLIV, Wroclaw. [in Polish]
- 3. Świeca A., Krukowska R., Tucki A. (2007). Possibilities for the Development of Tourism in the Lublin Region. In G. Godlewski, M. Bochenek (eds.), Tourism Theory - Conditions - Experiences (pp. 69-98). AWF ZWWF w Bialej Podlaskiej.
- 4. Brzezińska-Wójcik T., Świeca A., Tucki A. (2009). Possibilities for development of tourism in eastern polish voivodeships. Polish Journal of Sport and Tourism 16(2), 65-84.
- 5. Chalubinska A., Wilgat T. (1954). Physiographic division of the Lublin Province. In “Guide to the V Polish Meeting of the Polish Geographical Association” (pp. 3-44). Lublin: PTG. [in Polish]
- 6. Świeca A. (1998). Effect of anthropogenic factors on the fluvial outflow of solutions and suspensions in the area between the Vistula and Bug Rivers. Post-doctoral dissertation, Lublin: UMCS. [in Polish]
- 7. Wilgat T., Michalczyk Z., Turczyński M., Wojciechowski K.H. (1991). łęczna-Włodawa Lakes. Studia Ośrodka Dokumentacji Fizjograficznej, XIX, PAN O/Kraków, 23-140. [in Polish]
- 8. Michalczyk Z., Wilgat T. (1998). Water relations of the Lublin Region. Lublin: UMCS. [in Polish]
- 9. Harasimiuk M., Wojtanowicz J. (1998). Geological structure and relief of the Leczna-Wlodawa Lakeland. In M. Harasimiuk, Z. Michalczyk, M. Turczyński (eds.), łęczna-Włodawa lakes. Environmental monograph (pp. 41-53). Lublin: UMCS. [in Polish]
- 10. Wilgat T. (1954). łęczna-Włodawa lakes. Annales UMCS, sec. B, VIII, 37-121.
- 11. Tucki A. (2009). Tourist potential of the Lublin Region. Annales UMCS, sec. B, LXIV(1), 15-35. DOI: 10.2478/v10066- 008-0016-7. [in Polish][Crossref]
- 12. Pawlusinski R. (2005). Local government and tourist development. Kraków: IGiGP UJ. [in Polish]
- 13. Boruszczak M. (ed.) (2000). Policy of territorial self government in the scope of tourism. Collection of post-conference materials. International Scientific Conference Ostrzyce 26-27 April. 2000. Wyzsza Szkola Turystyki i Hotelarstwa w Gdansku. [in Polish]
- 14. Galecki R. (ed.) (2004). Role and tasks of territorial self-government in the development of tourism economy. łowicz: Mazowiecka Wyzsza Szkola Humanistyczno-Pedagogiczna. [in Polish]
- 15. Warszynska J. (1985). Tourist function of Polish Carpathians. Folia Geographica, Seria Geogr.-Oecon. 13, 79-104. [in Polish]
- 16. Kowalczyk A. (1994). Geographical-social aspects of the phenomenon of holiday houses. Warszawa: Uniwersytet Warszawski. [in Polish]
- 17. Faracik R. (2006). Tourism in the suburban zone of Kraków. Kraków: Instytut Geografii i Gospodarki Przestrzennej UJ. [in Polish]
- 18. Tucki A., Swieca A. (2008). The role of local government In the development of tourism as exemplified by the Lublin region. In J. Wyrzykowski (ed.), Conditions of the foreign tourism development In central and eastern Europe (pp. 493- 509). Wroclaw: Uniwersytet Wroclawski.
- 19. Krukowska R. (2009). Leczna-Wlodawa Lakeland - the tourist function of the region. Folia Turistica 21, 165-184. [in Polish]
- 20. Wlodarczyk B. (2009). Tourist function - the essence, concepts, development determinants. łódz: Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Lódzkiego. [in Polish]
- 21. Finn M., Elliot-White M., Walton M. (2000). Tourism & Leisure Research Methods. Data collection, analysis and interpretation. Edinburgh: Person/Longman.
- 22. Olaczek R. (2008). Between freedom and prohibition - on the tourist use of protected areas. In A. Gotowt-Jeziorska, J. Sledzinska (eds.), Sustainable tourism and ecotourism (pp. 15-23). Warszawa: Wyd. PTTK. [in Polish]
- 23. Enskajt U. (2007). Current state and perspectives of development of specialised tourism in the Polesie National Park. Master's thesis, Lublin: UMCS. [in Polish]
- 24. Iwaniuk A., Piotrowski W. (2002). Turism in Poleski Park Narodowy. In J. Partyka (ed.), Tourist use of national parks. Tourist traffic - management - conflicts - threats (pp. 325- 332). Instytut Ochrony Przyrody PAN, Ojcowski Park Narodowy, Ojców. [in Polish]
- 25. Skowronek E., Świeca A., Tucki A., Krukowska R. (2007). Role of the national parks of the Lublin Region in the development of tourist traffic in the Polish-Ukrainian crossborder area. In M. Zabka, R. Kowalski (eds.), Nature and tourism in east Poland (pp. 35-52). Siedlce: Akademia Podlaska w Siedlcach. [in Polish]