Improved molecularly imprinted polymer grafted to porous polyethylene frits for the solid-phase extraction of thiabendazole from citrus sample extracts
In this paper, the improvement over a novel format for selective solid-phase extraction based on a molecularly imprinted polymer (MIP) is described. A small amount of MIP has been synthesized within the superficial pores of commercial polyethylene (PE) frits and attached to its surface using benzophenone (BP), a photo-initiator capable to start the polymerization from the surface of the support material. Key properties affecting the obtainment of a proper polymeric layer, such as polymerization time and kind of cross-linker were optimized. Prepared composite material was applied to the SPE of TBZ in real samples extracts, showing an impressive clean-up ability. Calibrations showed good linearity in the concentration range of 0.05–5.00 μg g-1, referred to the original solid sample, and the regression coefficients obtained were greater than 0.998. The calculated detection limit was 0.01 μg g-1, low enough to satisfactory analysis of TBZ in real samples. Mean recoveries were about 70 % at different concentration levels with RSDs always ranged below 15% in all the cases.
-  Martín-Esteban, A., Sample preparation for chromatographicanalysis, In: Grushka, E., Grinberg, N. (Eds.), Advances inChromatography Vol. 51, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group,Boca Raton, Florida, USA, 2014.
-  Mayes, A.G., Mosbach, K., Molecularly imprinted polymers:useful materials for analytical chemistry?, Trends Anal. Chem.,1997, 16, 321-332.
-  Sellergren, B., Martín-Esteban, A., The use of molecularlyimprinted polymers for sampling and sample preparation,In: Pawliszyn, J., Lord, H.L. (Eds.), Handbook of samplepreparation, John Wiley & Sons, Hodoken, New Jersey, 2010.
-  Hu, Y., Pan, J., Zhang, K., Lian, H., Li, G., Novel applications ofmolecularly-imprinted polymers in sample preparation, TrendsAnal. Chem., 2013, 43, 37-52.
-  Martín-Esteban, A., Molecularly-imprinted polymers as aversatile, highly selective tool in sample preparation, TrendsAnal. Chem., 2013, 45, 169-181.
-  Koster, E.H.M., Crescenzi, C., Den Hoedt, W., Ensing, K., deJong, G.J., Fibers coated with molecularly imprinted polymersfor solid-phase microextraction, Anal. Chem., 2001, 73,3140-3145.
-  Hu, X., Hu, Y., Li, G., Preparation and characterization ofprometryn molecularly imprinted solid-phase microextractionfibers, Anal. Lett., 2007, 40, 645-660.[WoS]
-  Hu, X., Fan, Y., Zhang, Y., Dai, G., Cai, Q., Cao, Y., Cao,C., Molecularly imprinted polymer coated solid-phasemicroextraction fiber prepared by surface reversible addition–fragmentation chain transfer polymerization for monitoring ofSudan dyes in chilli tomato sauce and chilli pepper samples,Anal. Chim. Acta, 2012, 731, 40-48.[WoS]
-  Turiel, E., Tadeo, J.L., Martín-Esteban, A., Molecularly imprintedpolymeric fibers for solid-phase microextraction, Anal. Chem.,2007, 79, 3099-3104.
-  Djozan, D., Baheri, T., Preparation and evaluation ofsolid-phase microextraction fibers based on monolithicmolecularly imprinted polymers for selective extraction ofdiacetylmorphine and analogous compounds, J. Chromatogr., A2007, 1166, 16-23.
-  Zhu, X., Cai, J., Yang, J., Su, Q., Gao, Y., Films coated withmolecular imprinted polymers for the selective stir bar sorptionextraction of monocrotophos, J. Chromatogr. A, 2006, 1131,37-44.
-  Hu, Y., Li, J., Hu, Y., Li, G., Development of selective andchemically stable coating for stir bar sorptive extraction bymolecularly imprinted technique, Talanta, 2010, 82, 464-470.[WoS]
-  Turiel, E., Martín-Esteban, A., Molecularly imprinted stir barsfor selective extraction of thiabendazole in citrus samples, J.Sep. Sci., 2012, 235, 2962.
-  Yan, H., Qiao, F., Row, K.H., Molecularly imprinted-matrixsolid-phase dispersion for selective extraction of five fluoroquinolonesin eggs and tissue, Anal. Chem., 2007, 79, 8242-8248.[WoS]
-  Suna, H., Qiao, F., Liua, G., Lianga, S., Simultaneous isolationof six fluoroquinolones in serum samples by selectivemolecularly imprinted matrix solid-phase dispersion, Anal.Chim. Acta, 2008, 625, 154-159.[WoS]
-  Ceolin, G., Navarro-Villoslada, F., Moreno-Bondi, M.C., Horvai,G., Horváth, V., Accelerated development procedure formolecularly imprinted polymers using membrane filterplates, J.Comb. Chem., 2009, 11, 645-652.[WoS]
-  Renkecz, T., Ceolina, G., Horváth, V., Selective solid phaseextraction of propranolol on multiwell membrane filter platesmodified with molecularly imprinted polymer, Analyst, 2011,136, 2175-2182.[WoS]
-  Renkecz, T., László, K., Horváth, V., In situ synthesis ofmolecularly imprinted nanoparticles in porous supportmembranes using high-viscosity polymerization solvents, J.Mol. Recognit., 2012, 25, 320-329.[WoS]
-  Barahona, F., Turiel, E., Martín-Esteban, A., Molecularlyimprinted polymer grafted to porous polyethylene frits: A newselective solid-phase extraction format, J. Chromatogr. A, 2011,1218, 7065-7070.
-  Wang, J., Cheung, W., Grant, D., Determination of pesticidesin apple-based infant foods using liquid chromatographyelectrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry, J. Agric.Food Chem., 2005, 53, 528-537.
-  Deng, J., Wang, L., Liu, L., Yang, W., Developments and newapplications of UV-induced surface graft polymerizations, Prog.Polym. Sci., 2009, 34, 156-193.[WoS]