Effect of Resistance Tube Exercises on Kicking Accuracy, Vertical Jump and 40-Yard Technical Test in Competitive Football Players – An Experimental Study
Purpose. Kicking, jumping and agility are important skills in football. These activities require adequate lower limb strength, which can be enhanced with resistance training. The objective of the study was to evaluate the effect of resistance tube exercises on kicking accuracy, vertical jump performance and 40-yard technical test results in competitive football players. Methods. The study involved 23 competitive football players (11 males, 12 females) aged from 18-20 years recruited from three different universities in Belgaum, Karnataka, India. Back heel kick accuracy, vertical jump height and 40-yard technical test time were evaluated before and after a 2-week resistance tube exercise program. Results. Significant improvements in post-intervention kicking accuracy were found when males and females were treated as a single group (p = 0.01). Vertical jump height also showed a highly significant post-intervention improvement in the males and for the combined group of males and females (p = 0.001). The 40-yard technical test values significantly improved in the females and in the combined results for males and females (p = 0.001). Conclusions. The two-week resistance tube exercise program was found to have an effect on kicking accuracy, vertical jump height and 40-yard technical test performance in competitive football players. Resistance tube exercises can thus be included as a component of a regular strength training program for such athletes.
- 1. Ekblom B., Applied Physiology of Soccer. Sports Med, 1986, 3 (1), 50-60, doi: 10.2165/00007256-198603010-00005.[WoS][Crossref]
- 2. Kunz M., 265 million playing football. FIFA Magazine, July 2007, 10-15. Available from: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/fifafacts/bcoffsurv/emaga_9384_10704.pdf.
- 3. Mohr M., Assessment of training and game load in team sports. University of Copenhagen, Denmark. Available from: http://legacyus.powerbar.nastage.com/psnn/pdf/1.pdf
- 4. Jovanovic M., Sporis G., Omrcen D., Fiorentini F., Effects of Speed, Agility, Quickness Training Method on Power Performance in Elite Soccer Players. J Strength Cond Res, 2011, 25 (5), 1285-1292, doi: 10.1519/ JSC.0b013e3181d67c65.[Crossref][PubMed]
- 5. Mohr M., Krustrup P., Andersson H., Kirkendal D., Bangsbo J., Match Activites of Elite Women Soccer Players at Different Performance Levels. J Strength Cond Res, 2008, 22 (2), 341-349, doi: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e318165fef6.[Crossref][WoS]
- 6. Krustrup P., Mohr M., Ellingsgaard H., Bangsbo J., Physical Demands during an Elite Female Soccer Game: Importance of Training Status. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2005, 37 (7), 1242-1248, doi: 10.1249/01.mss.0000170062.73981.94.[Crossref]
- 7. Hadi I.F.A, Ali H.A.A., Effect of the development of explosive power, shooting accuracy and flexible thighs joint, spine on penalty kick accuracy for the students majoring in soccer in faculty of physical education. World J Sport Sci, 2012, 6 (3), 228-236, doi: 10.5829/idosi. wjss.2012.6.3.1136.[Crossref]
- 8. Stolen T., Chamari K., Castagna C., Wisloff U., Physiology of Soccer: an update. Sports Med, 2005, 35 (6), 501-536, doi: 10.2165/00007256-200535060-00004.[Crossref][WoS]
- 9. Reilly T., Training Specificity for Soccer. Int J Appl Sports Sci, 2007, 7 (2), 17-25.
- 10. Shahidi F., Mahmoudlu A.G., Kandi Y.M.N.P, Lotfi G., The effect of two resistance training types on muscle fitness and anaerobic capacity in 16-18 years old male soccer players. Annals of Biological Research, 2012, 3 (6), 2713-2717.
- 11. Barfield W.R., Kirkendall D.T., Yu B., Kinematic instep differences between elite female and male soccer players. J Sports Sci Med, 2002, 1 (3), 72-79.
- 12. Sporiš G., Milanović L., Jukić I., Omrčen D., Molinuevo J.S., The effect of agility training on athletic power performance. Kinesiology, 2010, 42 (1), 65-72.
- 13. Cometti G., Maffiuletti N.A., Pousson M., Chatard J.C., Maffulli N., Isokinetic strength and anaerobic power of elite, subelite and amateur French soccer players. Int J Sports Med, 2001, 22 (1), 45-51, doi: 10.1055/s-2001-11331.[Crossref]
- 14. Lipschutz D., The Biomechanics of Kicking a Football. BIOL-438, 2011. Available from https://sites.sas.upenn.edu/biol438/files/kickingppt.pdf
- 15. Hargreaves A., Bate R., Skills and Strategies for Coaching Soccer. 2nd Edition. Human Kinetics, Champaign 2009.
- 16. Parrish R., Types of kicking in soccer. Available from http://www.livestrong.com/article/464483-types-ofkicking-in-soccer [accessed: June, 2011]
- 17. Haghighi A., Moghadasi M., Nikseresht A., Torkfar A., Haghighi M., Effects of plyometric versus resistance training on sprint and skill performance in young soccer players. Eur J Exper Biol, 2012, 2 (6), 2348-2351.
- 18. Campo S.S., Vaeyens R., Pilippaerts R.M., Redondo J.C., Benito A.M., Cuadrado G., Effects of lower-limb plyometric training on body composition, explosive strength, and kicking speed in female soccer players. J Strength Cond Res, 2009, 23 (6), 1714-1722, doi: 10.1519/ JSC.0b013e3181b3f537.[WoS][Crossref]
- 19. Patterson R.M., Stegink Jansen C.W., Hogan H.A., Nassif M.D., Material Properties of Thera-Band Tubing. Phys Ther, 2001, 81 (8), 1437-1445.
- 20. Thera-Band Systems of Progressive Exercise, Resistance Band & Tubing. Instruction Manual. Voulme 4. The Hygenic Corporation, Akron, USA 2006, Available from: http://thera-band.com/instructions.php.
- 21. Colado J.C., Garcia-Masso X., Pellicer M., Alakhdar Y., Benavent J., Cabeza-Ruiz R., A comparison of elastic tubing and isotonic resistance exercises. Int J Sports Med, 2010, 31 (11), 810-817, doi: 10.1055/s-0030-1262808.[WoS][Crossref]
- 22. Aguiar M., Abrantes C., Macas V., Leite N., Sampaio J., Ibanez S., Effects of intermittent or continuous training on speed, jump and repeated-sprint ability in semi-professional soccer players. The Open Sports Sciences J, 2008, 1, 15-19.
- 23. Finnoff J.T., Newcomer K., Laskowski E.R., A valid and reliable method for measuring the kicking accuracy of soccer players. J Sci Med Sport, 2002, 5 (4), 348-353.[Crossref]
- 24. Changela P.K., Bhatt S., The correlational study of the Vertical Jump Test and Wingate Cycle Test as a Method to Assess Anaerobic Power in High School Basketball Players. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 2012, 2 (6), 1-6.
- 25. Maas G., Fitness Tests for Soccer. Available from http:// www.mshssca.org/resources/soccerfitnesstests.pdf.
- 26. Manolopoulos E., Papadopoulos C., Kellis E., Effects of combined strength and kick coordination training on soccer kick biomechanics in amateur players. Scand J Med Sci Sports, 2006, 16 (2), 102-110, doi: 10.1111/ j.1600-0838.2005.00447.x.[Crossref]
- 27. Lyons M.E., Isokinetic Hamstring: Quadriceps Strength Ratio in Males and Females: Implications for ACL Injury. The Osprey Journal of Ideas and Inquiry, 2006, Volume 5, Paper 65. Available from: http://digitalcommons.unf.edu/ojii_volumes/64.
- 28. Adibpour N., Bakht H.N., Behpour N., Comparison of the Effect of Plyometric and Weight Training Programs on Vertical Jumps in Female Basketball Players. World J Sport Sci, 2012, 7 (2), 99-104, doi: 10.5829/idosi. wjss.2012.7.2.1173.[Crossref]
- 29. Wisloff U., Castagna C., Helgerud J., Jones R., Hoff J., Strong correlation of maximal squat strength with sprint performance and vertical jump height in elite soccer players. Br J Sports Med, 2004, 38 (3), 285-288, doi: 10.1136/ bjsm.2002.002071.[Crossref]
- 30. Taheri E., Nikseresht A., Khoshnam E., The effect of 8 weeks of plyometric and resistance training on agility, speed and explosive power in soccer players. Eur J Exp Biol, 2014, 4 (1), 383-386.
- 31. Moritani T., deVries H.A., Neural factors versus hypertrophy in the time course of muscle strength gain. Am J Phys Med, 1979, 58 (3), 115-130.
- 32. Deschenes M.R., Kraemer W.J., Performance and physiologic adaptations to resistance training. Am J Phys Med Rehabil, 2002, 81 (11 Suppl.), S3-S16. [Crossref]