Biomechanical Analysis of Defensive Cutting Actions During Game Situations: Six Cases in Collegiate Soccer Competitions
The strengths of interpersonal dyads formed by the attacker and defender in one-on-one situations are crucial for performance in team ball sports such as soccer. The purpose of this study was to analyze the kinematics of one-on-one defensive movements in soccer competitions, and determine the relationships between lower limb kinematics and the center of mass translation during cutting actions. Six defensive scenes in which a player was responding to an offender’s dribble attack were selected for analysis. To reconstruct the three-dimensional kinematics of the players, we used a photogrammetric model-based image-matching technique. The hip and knee kinematics were calculated from the matched skeleton model. In addition, the center of mass height was expressed as a ratio of each participant’s body height. The relationships between the center of mass height and the kinematics were determined by the Pearson’s product-moment correlation coefficient. The normalized center of mass height at initial contact was correlated with the vertical center of mass displacement (r = 0.832, p = 0.040) and hip flexion angle at initial contact (r = −0.823, p = 0.044). This suggests that the lower center of mass at initial contact is an important factor to reduce the downwards vertical center of mass translation during defensive cutting actions, and that this is executed primarily through hip flexion. It is therefore recommended that players land with an adequately flexed hip at initial contact during one-on-one cutting actions to minimize the vertical center of mass excursion.
- - Faculty of Health Sciences, Tokyo Ariake University of Medical and Health Sciences, Tokyo, Japan. , firstname.lastname@example.org
- - Department of Joint Surgery and Sports Medicine, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan.
- - Oslo Sports Trauma Research Center, Norwegian School of Sport Sciences, Oslo, Norway.
- - Graduate School of Sport Sciences, Waseda University, Saitama, Japan.
- - Faculty of Sport Sciences, Waseda University, Saitama, Japan.
- Bere T, Mok KM, Koga H, Krosshaug T, Nordsletten L, Bahr R. Kinematics of anterior cruciate ligament ruptures in World Cup alpine skiing: 2 case reports of the slip-catch mechanism. Am J Sports Med, 2013; 41(5): 1067-1073
- Boden BP, Torg JS, Knowles SB, Hewett TE. Video analysis of anterior cruciate ligament injury: Abnormalities in hip and ankle kinematics. Am J Sports Med, 2009; 37(2): 252-259
- Bradshaw RJ, Young WB, Russell A, Burge P. Comparison of offensive agility techniques in Australian Rules football. J Sci Med Sport, 2011; 14(1): 65-69
- Beutler A, de la Motte S, Marshall S, Padua D, Boden B. Muscle strength and qualitative jump-landing differences in male and female military cadets: The jump-ACL study. J Sports Sci Med, 2009; 8(4): 663-671
- Cohen J. A power primer. Psychol Bull, 1992; 112(1): 155-159
- Duarte R, Araújo D, Davids K, Travassos B, Gazimba V, Sampaio J. Interpersonal coordination tendencies shape 1-vs-1 sub-phase performance outcomes in youth soccer. J Sports Sci, 2012; 30(9): 871-877
- Fong DT, Hong Y, Shima Y, Krosshaug T, Yung PS, Chan KM. Biomechanics of supination ankle sprain: A case report of an accidental injury event in the laboratory. Am J Sports Med, 2009; 37(4): 822-827
- Fong DT, Ha SC, Mok KM, Chan CW, Chan KM. Kinematics analysis of ankle inversion ligamentous sprain injuries in sports: Five cases from televised tennis competitions. Am J Sports Med, 2012; 40(11): 2627-2632
- Grood ES, Suntay WJ. A joint coordination system for the clinical description of three-dimensional motions: Application to the knee. J Biomech Eng, 1983; 105: 136-144
- Henriksen M, Lund H, Moe-Nilssen R, Bliddal H, Danneskiod-Samsøe B. Test-retest reliability of trunk accelerometric gait analysis. Gait Posture, 2004; 19(3): 288-297
- Hewett TE, Torg JS, Boden BP. Video analysis of trunk and knee motion during non-contact anterior cruciate ligament injury in female athletes: Lateral trunk and knee abduction motion are combined components of the injury mechanism. Br J Sports Med, 2009; 43(6): 417-422
- Koga H, Nakamae A, Shima Y, Iwasa J, Myklebust G, Engebretsen L, Bahr R, Krosshaug T. Am J Sports Med, 2010; 38(11): 2218-2225
- Koga H, Bahr R, Myklebust G, Engebretsen L, Grund T, Krosshaug T. Estimating anterior tibial translation from model-based image-matching of a noncontact anterior cruciate ligament injury in professional football: A case report. Clin J Sport Med, 2011; 21(3): 271-274
- Kristianslund E, Faul O, Bahr R, Myklebust G, Krosshaug T. Sidestep cutting technique and knee abduction loading: Implications for ACL prevention exercises. Br J Sports Med, 2014; 48(9): 779-783
- Krosshaug T, Bahr R. A model-based image-matching technique for three-dimensional reconstruction of human motion from uncalibrated video sequences. J Biomech, 2005; 38(4): 919-929
- Krosshaug T, Slauterbeck JR, Engebretsen L, Bahr R. Biomechanical analysis of anterior cruciate ligament injury mechanisms: Three-dimensional motion reconstruction from video sequences. Scand J Med Sci Sports, 2007; 5: 508-519
- Krosshaug T, Nakamae A, Boden B, Engebresten L, Smith G, Slauterbeck J, Hewett TE, Bahr R. Estimating 3D kinematics from video sequences of running and cutting maneuvers – assessing the accuracy of simple visual inspection. Gait Posture, 2007; 26(3): 378-385
- Krosshaug T, Nakamae A, Boden BP, Engebretsen L, Smith G, Slauterbeck JR, Hewett TE, Bahr R. Mechanisms of anterior cruciate ligament injury in basketball: Video analysis of 39 cases. Am J Sports Med, 2007; 35(3): 359-367
- Leetun DT, Ireland ML, Willson JD, Ballantyne BT, Davis IM. Core stability measures as risk factors for lower extremity injury in athletes. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2004; 36(6): 926-934
- McLean SG, Lipfert SW, van den Bogert AJ. Effect of gender and defensive opponent on the biomechanics of sidestep cutting. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2004; 36(6): 1008-1016
- Mok KM, Fong DT, Krosshaug T, Engebretsen L, Hung AS, Yung PS, Chan KM. Kinematics analysis of ankle inversion ligamentous sprain injuries in sports: 2 cases during the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Am J Sports Med, 2011; 39(7): 1548-1552
- Moran KA, Marshall BM. Effect of fatigue on tibial impact accelerations and knee kinematics in drop jumps. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2006; 38(10): 1836-1842
- Nagano Y, Ida H, Akai M, Fukubayashi T. Relationship between three-dimensional kinematics of knee and trunk motion during shuttle run cutting. J Sports Sci, 2011; 29(14): 1525-1534
- Olsen OE, Myklebust G, Engebretsen L, Bahr R. Injury mechanisms for anterior cruciate ligament injuries in team handball: A systematic video analysis. Am J Sports Med, 2004; 32(4): 1002-1012
- Pollard CD, Sigward SM, Powers CM. Gender differences in hip joint kinematics and kinetics during sidestep cutting maneuver. Clin J Sport Med, 2007; 17(1): 38-42
- Sasaki S, Koga H, Krosshaug T, Sakurai T, Fukubayashi T. A biomechanical approach to evaluating field sports performance using a model-based image-matching technique: A case report of 4 defensive football game situations. Gazz Med Ital, 2013; 172(10): 799-805
- Sheehan FT, Sipprell WH 3rd, Boden BP. Dynamic sagittal plane trunk control during anterior cruciate ligament injury. Am J Sports Med, 2012; 40(5): 1068-1074
- Shimokochi Y, Ide D, Kokubu M, Nakaoji T. Relationships among performance of lateral cutting maneuver from lateral sliding and hip extension and abduction motions, ground reaction force, and body center of mass height. J Strength Cond Res, 2013; 27(7): 1851-1860
- Stearns KM, Keim RG, Powers CM. Influence of relative hip and knee extensor muscle strength on landing biomechanics. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2013; 45(5): 935-941
- Wheeler KW, Sayers MG. Modification of agility running technique in reaction to a defender in rugby union. J Sports Sci Med, 2010; 9(3): 445-451
- Woltring HG. A Fortran package for generalized, cross-validatory spline smoothing and differentiation. Adv Eng Software, 1986; 8: 104-113