Comparative validation of HPLC, densitometric and videodensitometric determination of lamotrigine in pharmaceutical
Simple, sensitive, precise and accurate HPLC, densitometric and videodensitometric methods for determination of lamotrigine in tablet forms were developed and validated. The HPLC method was carried out using a Symmetry C8 column and a mobile phase acetonitrile-phosphate buffer pH 2.80 (25:75, v/v), with a flow rate of 1 mL/min, and UV detection at 210 nm. Ethosuximide was used as the internal standard. Densitometric and videodensitometric analysis was performed on silica gel 60 F254 plates, in horizontal chambers, with methanol-chloroform-ammonia (25%) 1.5:7.5:1, (v/v) as mobile phase. Densitometric detection was performed at 225 nm and at 315 nm, and videodeoscanning at 254 nm. Calibration plots were constructed in the range 0.5-10 μg/spot, with good correlation coefficients r > 0.99 for both methods. The precision and accuracy of all elaborated methods were compared. Finally, the developed methods were applied for the quality control of lamotrigine tablets.
- 1. Alizadeh N., Khakinahad R., Jabbari A.: Spectrophotometric determination of lamotrigine in pharmaceutical preparations and urine by charge-transfer complexation. Pharmazie, 63, 791, 2008.[WoS]
- 2. Bialer M. et al.: Progress report on new anti-epileptic drugs: a summary of the Eighth Eilat Conference (EILAT VIII). Epilepsy Res., 73, 1, 2007.
- 3. Calvo M.E.B., Renedo O.D., Martinez M.J.A.: Optimization of the experimental parameters in the determination of lamotrigine by adsorptive stripping voltammetry. Analytica Chimica Acta, 549, 74, 2005.
- 4. El-Enany N.M. et al.: Validated spectrofluorimetric method for the determination of lamotrigine in tablets and human plasma through derivatization with o-phthalaldehyde. J. Fluoresc. 20, 463, 2010.[Crossref][WoS]
- 5. Emami J., Ghassami N., Ahmadi F.: Development and validation of a new HPLC method for determination of lamotrigine and related compounds in tablet formulations. J. Pharm. Biomed. Anal., 40, 999, 2006.
- 6. Gupta V.K., Singh A.K., Gupta B.: Development of membrane electrodes for selective determination of some anti-epileptic drugs in pharmaceuticals, plasma and urine. Anal. Bioanal. Chem., 389, 2019, 2007.
- 7. Koba M. et al.: Determination of lamotrigine in tablets using HPTLC, HPLC, and derivative spectrophotometry methods. J. Liq. Chromatogr. & Rel. Technol., 36, 537, 2013.[WoS]
- 8. Martins M.T., Paim C.S., Steppe M.: LC and UV methods for lamotrigine determination in pharmaceutical formulation. Chromatography Research International, Article ID 860168, 2011.
- 9. Paw B., Matysiak J., Kowalczuk D.: Development and validation of a capillary electrophoresis method for the determination of lamotrigine in pharmaceutical dosage form. Ann. UMCS Sect. DDD, 24, 9, 2011.
- 10. Rajendraprasad N., Basavaiah K., Vinay K.B.: Micro and nanogram determination of lamotrigine in pharmaceuticals by visible spectrophotometry, using bromophenol blue. Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, 17, 220, 2010.
- 11. Renedo O.D, Calvo M.E.B., Martinez M.J.A.: Determination of lamotrigine in pharmaceutical preparations by adsorptive stripping volammetry, using screen printed electrodes. Sensors, 8, 4201, 2008.[Crossref]
- 12. Vinay K.B. et al.: Sensitive, selective and extraction-free spectrophotometric determination of lamotrigine in pharmaceuticals, using two sulphonthalein dyes. Thai J. Pharm. Sci., 35, 65, 2011.
- 13. Youssef N.F., Taha E.A.: Development and validation of spectrophotometric, TLC and HPLC methods for the determination of lamotrigine in the presence of its impurity. Chem. Pharm. Bull., 55, 541, 2007.[WoS]