The role of product cost deployment in the early product management methodology within the WCM system – a case study
Treść / Zawartość
World Class Manufacturing system consists of ten technical and ten managerial pillars. These, impacting directly and indirectly on each other, generate the flow of internal processes. Two of the mentioned pillars, Early Product Management (EPM) and Cost Deployment (CD) play a special role in the system, because they create a future strategic management of a company influencing design engineering, manufacturing and economy [1, 2]. Referring to the author’s previous publications on Early Product Management methodology [3, 4], the role of Cost Deployment pillar in the new product launch remains an important issue. Additionally, there is a noticeable lack of publications in this specific field of the WCM system. Therefore, a proper understanding of the relationship between these two technical pillars is the basis for effective project management for the implementation of new products. In this article, the correlation between EPM and CD will be highlighted whereas some critical remarks will be indicated. The main part of the article will describe: the current approach to project management according to the standards set by the WCM system and recommended improvements originated from EPM and CD pillars. The quality scientific methods used in this article are based on a case study of internal processes in an international plant specializing in agriculture machinery production and include elements of direct observation and theoretical analysis and synthesis. This paper refers to the presented issues in practical terms on the example of the methodology of managing of new launch product projects in terms of cost management. The purpose of this paper is to draw attention to the problem of the cost factor generated during the design phase and early implementation of the new product into production, which will enable effective cost management of new implementation projects.
Bibliogr. 25 poz., rys., tab., wykr.
- Lodz University of Technology, Faculty of Management and Production Engineering, Department of Production Management and Logistics, Wolczanska 215, 90-924 Lodz, Poland
-  Kiljan A., World Class Manufacturing as a new management method, Selected Engineering Problems, 6, 37–40, 2015.
-  Flynn B.B., Schroeder R.G., Flynn E.J., World Class Manufacturing: an investigation of Hayes and Wheelwright’s foundation, Journal of Operations Management, 17, 249–269, 1999.
-  Mróz A., Implementation of EPM Methodology in production plants, Advances in manufacturing II, Vol. 3: Quality Engineering and Management, p. 114–143, 2019.
-  Mróz A., About some aspects of Advanced Manufacturing Engineering department in WCM – oriented production plants, Management and Production Engineering Review, 9, 4, 76–85, 2018.
-  Atkinson R., Project management: cost, time and quality, two best guesses and a phenomenon, it’s time to accept other success criteria, International Journal of Project Management, 17, 6, 337–342, 1999.
-  Morrison N., The accuracy of surveyors’ cost estimating, Construction Management and Economics, 2, 57–75, 1984.
-  Babu A.J.G., Suresh N., Project management with time, cost, and quality considerations, Journal of Operational Research, 88, 320–327, 1996.
-  Love E.D.P., Irani Z., A project management quality cost information system for the construction industry, Information & Management, 40, 649–661, 2003.
-  Doloi H.K., Understanding stakeholders’ perspective of cost estimation in project management, International Journal of Project Management, 29, 622–636, 2011.
-  Chou J.S., Cost simulation in an item-based project involving construction engineering and management, International Journal of Project Management, 29, 706–717, 2011.
-  Smith P., Project Cost Management – Global Issues and Challenges, Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 119, 485–494, 2014.
-  Smith P., Global professional standards for project cost management, Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 226, 124–131, 2016.
-  Smith P., Project cost management with 5D BIM, Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 226, 193-200, 2016.
-  Sanchez O.P., Terlizzi M.A., Oliveira Cesar de Moraes H.R., Cost and time project management success factors for information systems development projects, International Journal of Project Management, 35, 1608–1626, 2017.
-  De Felice F., Petrillo A., Monfreda S., Improving operations performance with World Class Manufacturing technique: a case in automotive industry, IntechOpen, p. 1–30, 2013.
-  Yamashina H., Just-in-Time Production – A new formulation and algorithm of the flow shop problem, Computer – Aided Production Management, 34, 3, 120–140, 1998.
-  Massone L., Fiat Group Automobiles Production System: Manual do WCM, Wold Class Manufacturing: Towards Excellence Class Safety, Quality, Productivity and Delivery, Ed. Fiat, Brazil, (official data: Figure 2), 2007.
-  Ebrahimi M., Baboll A., Rother E., The evolution of World Class Manufacturing towards Industry 4.0: A case study in the automotive industry, IFAC PapersOnLine, 52, 10, 188–194, 2019.
-  Digalwar A., Sangwan K.S., Role of Knowledge Management in World Class Manufacturing: An Empirical Investigation, IEE, p. 415–419, 2011.
-  Yamashina H., Manufacturing Cost Deployment, Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, 65, 2, 260–266, 1999.
-  Yamashina H., Kubo T., Manufacturing cost deployment, International Journal of Production Research, 40, 16, 4077–4091, 2002.
-  Hřeg P.C.H., Knutsen D.H., Roadmap for Manufacturing Cost Deployment, Better operations, 2016.
-  Silva L.C.S., Kovaleski J.L., Gaia S., Garcia M., Paulo P., Cost Deployment Tool for Technological Innovation of World Class Manufacturing, Journal of Transportation Technologies, 3, 17–23, 2013.
-  Framinan J.M., Ruiz R., Guidelines for the deployment and implementation of manufacturing scheduling systems, International Journal of Production Research, p. 1–23, 2010.
-  Project Management Institute, A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOKr Guide) – Fifth Edition, Project Management Institute, 2013.