Hydrodynamic performance analysis of a modified sandglass- -type FPSO in regular waves using boundary element method
Treść / Zawartość
This paper presents a numerical investigation of the hydrodynamic performance of a modified sandglass-type FPSO (Floating Production, Storage and Offloading) with different geometrical parameters. The influence of the roll damping plate on heave and pitch motions of the FPSO was studied in regular waves. To estimate the hydrodynamic performance and utilize the results on the design stage of the FPSO, the boundary element method (BEM) was used. Furthermore, the hydrodynamic performance of two cylindrical and sandglass-type FPSOs under the same conditions was compared in different waves. Five sandglass-type FPSOs with dissimilar inclination angles were utilized with the constant draft. The effects of different inclination angles, including various radii of water-plane part of the floating object on hydrodynamic responses and wave forces applied to the FPSO, were investigated, and presented here. Numerical results were compared against published experimental data of a sandglass-type model, and good agreement was achieved. Based on the simulation results, a conclusion that a sandglass-type FPSO with the inclination angle of 35 degrees proposes proper hydrodynamic performance in both heave and pitch motions for all ranges of wave frequencies was reached. In addition, as it was predicted, the effect of heading sea on a sandglass-type FPSO was significant compared to other wave directions. Finally, by adding a damper plate to the floor of the platform, its hydrodynamic performance is improved. For numerical analysis of the modified FPSO, three different damper sizes are used to investigate its effect on the reduction of the pitch motion amplitude in waves.
Bibliogr. 20 poz., rys., tab.
- 1. Avalos, G.O. & Wanderley, J. (2018) Numerical study of forced roll oscillation of FPSO with bilge keel. Ocean Engineering 147, pp. 304–317.
- 2. Chen, J.M., Sun, Y. & Zhang, P. (2013) Dynamic response analysis of FPSO based on SESAM. Advanced Materials Research 694–697, pp. 267–270.
- 3. Graylee, A. & Yousfifard, M. (2019) The effects of different cross sections on the hydrodynamic behaviour of sandglass-type FPSOs exposed to regular waves. Journal of Marine Engineering & Technology 19, 4, pp. 197–206.
- 4. Heurtier, J.M., Buhan, P., Fontaine, E., Cunff, C., Biolley, F. & Berhault, C. (2001) Coupled dynamic response of moored FPSO with risers. The Eleventh International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, June 17–22, Stavanger, Norway.
- 5. Hong, Y.P., Wada, Y., Choi, Y.H. & Kim, S.E. (2009) An experimental and numerical study on the motion characteristics of side-by-side moored LNG-FPSO and LNG carrier. 19th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, July 21–26, Osaka, Japan.
- 6. Kim, M.H., Koo, B.J., Mercier, R.M. & Ward, E.G. (2005) Vessel/mooring/riser coupled dynamic analysis of a turret– moored FPSO compared with OTRC experiment. Ocean Engineering 32(14–15), pp. 1780–1802.
- 7. Nam, B.W., Kim, Y. & Hong, S.Y. (2016) Time-domain simulation of berthing problem between FPSO and shuttle tanker in waves. Applied Ocean Research 58, pp. 49–61.
- 8. Nishanth, R., John, K.V. & Whyte, A. (2016) Dynamic behaviour of FPSO in Kikeh field under different loading conditions. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences 11(4), pp. 2302–2307.
- 9. Pascoal, R., Scares, C.G., Facon, G., Pétrié, F. &Vaché, M. (2004) Hydrodynamic analysis and motions of the OCTOPLUS platform. 23rd International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, ASME 2004, June 20–25, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- 10. Peng, C., Mansour A.M., Wu, C., Zuccolo, R., Ji, C., Greiner, B. & Sung, H.G. (2018) Numerical and experimental investigation on the global performance of a novel design of a Low Motion FPSO. Ocean Systems Engineering 8(4), pp. 427–439.
- 11. Roy, S. & Banik, A.K. (2018) Dynamic responses of an FPSO moored on sloped seabed under the action of environmental loads. Ocean Systems Engineering 8(3), pp. 329–343.
- 12. Sathia, R. & Vijayalakshmi, R. (2019) Effect of keel plate on the performance of FPSO suitable for arctic ice environment. Ships and Offshore Structures 15, 9, pp. 963–973.
- 13. Somayaula, A. & Falzarano, J. (2017) A comparative assessment of approximate methods to simulate second order roll motion of FPSOs. Ocean Systems Engineering 7(1), pp. 53–74.
- 14. Van’t Veer, R., Fathi, F. & Kherian, J.G. (2011) On roll hydrodynamics of FPSO’s fitted with bilge keels and riser balcony. Proceedings of the ASME 2011, 30th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, June 19–24, Rotterdam, Netherlands.
- 15. Vijayalakshmi, R. & Panneerselvam, R. (2012) Hydrodynamic response of a non-ship-shaped FPSO vessel with damping plates. Journal of Marine Science Technology 17, pp. 187–202.
- 16. Wang, L., Tang, H. & Wu, Y. (2015) Simulation of wave– body interaction: A desingularized method coupled with acceleration potential. Journal of Fluids and Structures 52, pp. 37–48.
- 17. Wang, W.H., Wang, L.L., Du, Y.Z., Yao, Y.X. & Huang, Y. (2016) Numerical and experimental analysis on motion performance of new sandglass-type floating body in waves. Journal of Marine Structures 46, pp. 56–77.
- 18. Wang, W.H., Yao, Y.X., Ye, M.S., Wang, L.L. & Huang, Y. (2015) Research on design scheme and hydrodynamic performance of floating body based on sandglass-type FDPSO. Ships and Offshore Structures 11(5), pp. 540–550.
- 19. Wichers, J.E.W. (1996) Combining metocean parameters on SPM moored tankers. International Conference in Ocean Engineering COE’96, December01, Madras, India.
- 20. Yao, Y.X., Wang, W.H. & Huang, Y. (2014) Concept design of a new sandglass-type floating production storage and offloading system. Journal of Shanghai Jiaotong University 48(4), pp. 558–564.
Opracowanie rekordu ze środków MNiSW, umowa Nr 461252 w ramach programu "Społeczna odpowiedzialność nauki" - moduł: Popularyzacja nauki i promocja sportu (2021).