The Assessment of the Permeability of Selected Protective Coatings Used for Sand Moulds and Cores
Treść / Zawartość
The article presents the results of permeability measurements of a zirconium alcohol coating applied on moulds and cores. The introduction extensively discusses the reasons for the application of protective coatings, as well as their advantages and disadvantages. Also, the problems related to the application of protective coatings are presented i.e. limited permeability and thus the possibility of the presence of gas-originated defects in the casts. Next, the paper discusses the methods of measuring the permeability of protective coating proposed by Falęcki and Pacyniak. The study also presents an indirect permeability measurement method. For the investigations, zirconium alcohol coatings with the three conventional viscosities 10, 20 and 30s were used. The viscosity was determined by means of the Ford cup with the clearance of 4mm. The coatings were applied onto profiles of Φ 50x50 mm, made of moulding sand consisting of a sand matrix with the mean grain size of dL = 0,11, 17, 24, 31 and 34 mm and phenol-formaldehyde resin. The effect of the matrix grain size on the permeability of the sand with and without a coating was determined.
Bibliogr. 14 poz., rys., wykr.
-  Collective work edited by Sobczak J.J. (2013). Foundry's guide. Volume I - Materials. Chapter VI.5. Protective and separating coatings used for molds and cores. Kraków: Wydawnictwo Stowarzyszenia Technicznego Odlewników Polskich. (in Polish).
-  Lewandowski, L.J. (1997). Materials for foundry molds. Kraków: Wydawnictwo „Akapit”. (in Polish).
-  Wróbel, J. (2014). Tests of the quality of zirconium protective coatings in the aspect of their suitability for sand casting molds and cores. Przegląd Odlewnictwa. 64, 9-10. (in Polish).
-  Jakubski J. & Dobosz St. (2006). Impact of a protective coating on thermal phenomena in foundry cores. Archives of Foundry. 6(18), 453-458. (in Polish).
-  Jamrozowicz, Ł., Zych, J., Kolczyk, J. & Wróblewski, D. (2014). The Role of the Surface Shape of the Mould in the Process of Drying of Selected Protective Coatings. Archives of Foundry Engineering. 14(spec.2), 39-44. (in Polish).
-  Jamrozowicz, Ł., Kolczyk-Tylka, J. & Siatko, A. (2018). Investigations of the thickness of protective coatings deposited on moulds and cores. Archives of Foundry Engineering. 18(4), 131-136.
-  Falęcki, Z. (1991). Casting Defect Analysis. Kraków. Wydawnictwo AGH, Skrypty uczelniane 1283. (in Polish).
-  Lutosławski, J. (1954). Disadvantages of steel castings. Warszawa: Państwowe Wydawnictwa Techniczne. (in Polish).
-  Falęcki, Z., Jankowski, W., Wojtaszek, A. & Żurawski, J. (2000). A Method to Examine the Properties of Ceramic Coatings Applied on Foamed Polystyrene Patterns in The Lost Foam Process. Solidification of Metals and Alloys. 2(43), 147-153. (in Polish).
-  Pacyniak, T. & Kaczorowski, R. (2003). Investigation of Properties of Refractory Coatings Used for Foam Patterns Used in the Casting Manufacturing by Means of the Lost Foam Method. Archives of Foundry. 3(8), 147-156. (in Polish).
-  Zych, J. & Snopkiewicz, T. (2011). Drying and strengthening of protective coatings after deposition on casting moulds and sand cores – new investigation methods. Przegląd Odlewnictwa. 9-10, 506-512.
-  Zych, J. (2006). Application of the novel ultrasonic method in the on line research of the setting, and hardening process of ceramic materials. Inżynieria Materiałowa. 27(3), 680-683.
-  Pigiel, M. & Granat, K. (1997). The use of microwave heating in foundry. Solidification of Metals and Alloys. 33. (in Polish).
-  Jamrozowicz, Ł., Zych, J. & Kolczyk, J. (2015). The drying kinetics of protective coatings used on sand molds. Metalurgija. 54(1), 23-26.
Opracowanie rekordu ze środków MNiSW, umowa Nr 461252 w ramach programu "Społeczna odpowiedzialność nauki" - moduł: Popularyzacja nauki i promocja sportu (2020)