Elastic buckling of Cassini ovaloidal shells under external pressure - theoretical study
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
The paper is devoted to shells of revolution with positive and negative Gaussian curvature. The meridian of shells is a plane curve in the Cassini oval form. Geometrical properties of the middle surface of the shell of revolution based on this curve are presented. The membrane state of stress of a family of shells with constant capacity and mass under uniform pressure is described analytically and numerically with the use of the FEM (the ANSYS system). The critical pressure, buckling modes and equilibrium paths of analysed shells are calculated numerically. The advantages of a pressure vessel made in the form of Cassini ovaloidal shell, such as the lack of edge effect and a stable post-buckling behaviour, are pointed out. The results of the analytical and numerical investigations are compared and presented in tables and figures.
Bibliogr. 24 poz., rys.
- 1. S. Timoshenko, S. Woinowsky-Krieger, Theory of Plates and Shells, McGraw-Hill Book Comp., New York, 1959.
- 2. É.I. Grigolûk, V.V. Kabanov, Stability of Shells, Nauka, Moscow [in Russian].
- 3. E. Ventsel, T. Krauthammer, Thin Plates and Shells: Theory, Analysis and Applications, Marcel Dekker, New York, 2001.
- 4. P.E. Tovstik, A.L. Smirnov, Asymptotic Methods in the Buckling Theory of Elastic Shells, World Scientific, Singapore, 2001.
- 5. P. Jasion, K. Magnucki, Elastic buckling of barrelled shell under external pressure, Thin-Walled Structures, 45, 4, 393–399, 2007.
- 6. K. Magnucki, P. Jasion, Analytical description of pre-buckling and buckling states of barrelled shells under radial pressure, Ocean Engineering, 58, 217–223, 2013.
- 7. J. Błachut, P. Smith, Buckling of multi-segment underwater pressure hull, Ocean Engineering, 35, 247–260, 2008.
- 8. Y.Q. Ma, C.M. Wang, K.K. Ang, Buckling of super ellipsoidal shells under uniform pressure, Thin-Walled Structures, 46, 6, 584–591, 2008.
- 9. K. Magnucki, W. Szyc, J. Lewiński, Minimization of stress concentration factor in cylindrical pressure vessels with ellipsoidal heads, International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, 79, 12, 841–846, 2002.
- 10. J. Błachut, K. Magnucki, Strength, stability, and optimization of pressure vessels: Review of selected problems, Applied Mechanics Reviews, 61, 1–6, 0608011-06080133, 2008.
- 11. P. Jasion, K. Magnucki, Elastic buckling of clothoidal-spherical shells under external pressure – theoretical study, Thin–Walled Structures, 86, 18–23, 2015.
- 12. A. Zingoni, Liquid-containment shells of revolution: A review of recent studies on strength, stability and dynamics, Thin-Walled Structures, 87, 102–114, 2015.
- 13. J. Błachut, P. Wang, Buckling of barrelled shells subjected to external hydrostatic pressure, JPVT, Trans SME, 123, 232–239, 2001.
- 14. R. Reitinger, E. Ramm, Buckling and imperfection sensitivity in the optimization of shell structures, Thin-Walled Structures, 23, 1–4, 159–177, 1995.
- 15. L.A. Godoy, Sensitivity of post-critical states to changes in design parameters, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 33, 15, 2177–2192, 1996.
- 16. B. Bochenek, Optimization of geometrically nonlinear structures with respect to both buckling and postbuckling constraints, Engineering Optimization, 29, 1–4, 401–415, 1997.
- 17. Z. Mróz, J. Piekarski, Sensitivity analysis and optimal design of non-linear structures, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 42, 7, 1231–1262, 1998.
- 18. B. Bochenek, J. Krużelecki, A new concept of optimization for postbuckling behaviour, Engineering Optimization, 33, 4, 503–522, 2001.
- 19. M. Król, J. Krużelecki, D. Trybuła, Optimal stabilization of the post-buckling path for cylindrical shells under external pressure, Engineering Optimization, 41, 1, 59–72, 2009.
- 20. J. Krużelecki, D. Trybuła, Non-standard stabilization of the post-buckling path for elastic cylindrical shells under combined state of loadings, Thin-Walled Structures, 59, 19, 162–170, 2012.
- 21. P. Jasion, Stability analysis of shells of revolution under pressure conditions, Thin–Walled Structures, 47, 311–317, 2009.
- 22. S. Singh, B.P. Patel, Y. Nath, Postbuckling of laminated shells of revolution with meridional curvature under thermal and mechanical loads, International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics, 9, 1, 107–126, 2009.
- 23. E. Niczyporowicz, Plane Curves. Selected Problems of Analytic and Differential Geometry, PWN, Warsaw, 1991 [in Polish].
- 24. P. Jasion, Stabilisation of a post-critical behaviour of sandwich cylindrical shells [in:] Shell structures: theory and applications, Vol. 3, W. Pietraszkiewicz and J. Górski [eds.],195–198, Taylor & Francis Group, London, UK, 2014.