The effects of an early intrahospital rehabilitation on weight bearing during lower extremity lengthening with Ilizarov`s Method
Treść / Zawartość
Purpose : Exerting axial pressure on the affected lower limb remains one of the most crucial elements of Ilizarov method . Objective was to determine the effects of an early intrahospital rehabilitation on weight bearing during lower extremity lengthening with Ilizarov`s Method. Methods: Study included 15 patients who underwent lower limb lengthening. The patients were tested on the third day after surgery using the pedobarographic platform. The tests were performed four times in the standing position:twice with the support of forearm crutches and twice without crutches. Patients were asked to either remain in the relaxed standing position(two tests) or use the lower limb equipped with Ilizarov apparatus to support the body weight(two tests). Results: In relaxed stance average pressure with forearm crutches was 24.1% for affected limb, as compared to 75.9% for the healthy limb. In test without forearm crutches average pressure for affected limb was 26.1%, as compared to 73.9% for the healthy limb. Patients shifted body weight to the affected limb with forearm crutches on average, at the rate of 53.6% . In test without forearm crutches the affected limb was supporting the body weight at the rate of 48.26%. None of the patients was able to fully support the body weight on the affected leg. Conclusions: In spite of strict physiotherapy regimen,patients are, neither able to equally distribute their body weight between the two lower limbs ,nor to shift their body weight to the limb equipped with Ilizarov apparatus.
Bibliogr. 20 poz., rys.
- Wrocław Medical University, Department and Clinic of Orthopaedic and Traumatologic Surgery, Wrocław, Poland, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2University of Physical Education in Wrocław, The Chair of Physiotherapy and occupational therapy in Motor System Dysfunctions, Wrocław, Poland
- Wrocław Medical University, Division of Rehabilitation,Department and Clinic of Orthopaedic and Traumatologic Surgery, Wrocław, Poland
-  Barker K, Lamb S, Simpson H. Loss Knee Range of Motion in Leg Lengthening. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2001;31(5):238-246
-  Barker K, Lamb S, Simpson H. Recovery of muscle strength and power after limblengthening surgery. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010;91(3):384-388
-  Barker K, Burns M, Litter S. Physiotherapy for patients with an Ilizarov external fixator: A survey of current practice. Physiotherapy 1999;85(8):426-432
-  Bhave A, Herzenberg J, Paley D. Improvement in Gait Parameters After Lengthening for the Treatment of Limb-Length Discrepancy. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1999;81:529- 534
-  Duda GN, Bartmeyer B, Sparrer S et al. Does partial weight-bearing unload a healing bone in external ring fixation? Arch Surg. 2005;388(5):298-304
-  Folkerts C, Henry S, Kovelman HF, et al. Rehabilitation of the Ilizarov patient. Rehab Manag. 1992;5(5):126-129
-  Hussein A, Faflik J, Bik K. The importance of densitometric testing in the evaluation of regenerated bone during long bone lengthening by the Ilizarov method. Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2002;4(3):282-289
-  Koczewski P, Urban F, Jóźwiak M. Analysis of some gait parameters at different stages of leg lengthening using the Ilizarov technique. Chir Narządow Ruchu Ortop Pol. 2004;69(6):393-397
-  Krawczyk A, Atamaniuk W, Dragan Sz et al. Radiological imaging of the formation of regenerated bone in distraction osteogenesis: an experimental study, Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2002;4(3):290-298
-  Moraal J, Elzinga-Plomp A, Jongmans J, et al. Long-term psychosocial functioning after Ilizarov limb lengthening during childhood. 37 patients followed for 2-14 years. Acta Orthopaedica. 2009;80(6):704-710
-  Morasiewicz L. Strategy and tactics in limb lengthening. Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2002;4(3):310-315
-  Morasiewicz P, Dragan S. Pedobarographic evaluation of body weight distribution on the lower limbs and balance after derotation corticotomies using the Ilizarov method. Acta Bioeng Biomech. 2013;15:91-96.
-  Morasiewicz P, Filipiak J, Krysztoforski K et al. Clinical factors affecting lower limb torsional deformities treatment with the Ilizarov method. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2014 Oct;100:631-636.
-  Morasiewicz P, Morasiewicz L, Stępniewski M et al. Results and biomechanical consideration of treatment of congenital lower limb shortening and deformity using the Ilizarov method. Acta Bioeng Biomech. 2014;16:133-140.
-  Motmans R, Lammens J. Knee mobility in femoral lengthening using Ilizarov’s metod. Acta Orthop. Belg. 2008;74:184-189
-  Napiontek M, Koczewski P, Shadi M. Psychological aspects of Ilizarov method treatment. Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2002;4(4):473-476
-  Pasierbek M, Gaździk T, Ryba J, et al. Evaluation a range of the motion of knee during femoral lengthening by Ilizarov method. Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2002;5(5):622-625
-  Roganowicz T, Latalski M, Gregosiewicz A, et al. Testing the differences In bioelectrical potentials occuring in distractive osteogenesis: Human and animal clinical research, Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2002;4(3):299-301
-  Santy J, Vincent M, Duffield M. The principles of caring for patients with Ilizarov external fixation. Nurs Stand. 2009;23(26):50-55
-  Simpson A, Cunnigham J, Kenwright J. The forces which develop in the tissues during leg lengthening. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1996;78(6).
Opracowanie ze środków MNiSW w ramach umowy 812/P-DUN/2016 na działalność upowszechniającą naukę (zadania 2017).