Loop Gain of the Common-Drain Colpitts Oscillator
Treść / Zawartość
This paper presents the derivations of the voltage transfer functions of the amplifier A, the feedback network β, and the loop gain Τ of the common-drain (CD) Colpitts oscillator, using the small-signal model of the CD Colpitts oscillator. The derivation of the characteristic equation of the CD Colpitts oscillator is presented. Using the characteristic equation, the equation for the oscillation frequency of the sinusoidal output voltage and the condition for steady-state oscillation are derived. The characteristic equation is used to obtain a plot of trajectories of the poles of the CD Colpitts oscillator by varying the MOSFET small-signal transconductance gm. The locations of the complex conjugate poles depicting starting and steady-state conditions for oscillations are also presented.
Bibliogr. 19 poz., wykr.
-  K. K. Clarke and D. T. Hess, Communication Circuits: Analysis and Design. Reading, MA. Addison-Wesley, 1971.
-  J. Ebert and M. K. Kazimierczuk, “Class E high-efficiency tuned power oscillator,” IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, vol. SC-16, no. 2, pp. 62-66, Apr. 1981.
-  M. K. Kazimierczuk, “A new approach to the design of tuned power oscillators,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, vol. CAS-29, pp. 261-267, Apr. 1982.
-  A. S. Sedra and K. C. Smith, Microelectronic Circuits. New York. Oxford University Press, 1991.
-  Q. Huang, “Power consumption vs LO amplitude for CMOS Colpitts oscillators,” in IEEE Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, Santa Clara, CA, May11-16 1997, pp. 255-258.
-  G. M. Maggio, O. D. Feo, and M. P. Kennedy, “Nonlinear analysis of the Colpitts oscillator and applications to design,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I: Fundamental Theory and Applications, vol. 46, no. 9, pp. 1118-1129, Sept. 1999.
-  G. M. Maggio and M. P. Kennedy, “Classification of the steady-state behaviour of the Colpitts oscillator,” in IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems (ICECS), Pafos , Cyprus, Sept.11-16 1999, pp. 811-814.
-  K. Mayaram, “Output voltage analysis for the MOS Colpitts oscillator,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I: Fundamental Theory and Applications, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 260-263, Feb. 2000.
-  A. Tamasevicius, G. Mykolaitis, S. Bumeliene, A. Cenys, A. Anagnostopoulos, and E. Lindberg, “Two-stage chaotic Colpitts oscillator,” Electronics Letters, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 549-551, Apr. 2001.
-  R. R. Spencer and M. S. Ghausi, Introduction to Electronic Circuit Design. Upper Saddle River, NJ. Prentice-Hall, 2003.
-  R. C. Jaeger and T. N. Blalock, Microelectronic Circuit Design. New York. McGraw-Hill, 2004.
-  A. Aminian and M. K. Kazimierczuk, Electronic Devices: A Design Approach. Upper Saddle River, NJ. Prentice-Hall, 2004.
-  T. H. Lee, The Design of Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits. New York. Cambridge University Press, 2004.
-  M. K. Kazimierczuk, V. G. Krizhanovski, J. V. Rassokhina, and D. V. Chernov, “Class-E MOSFET tuned power oscillator design procedure,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I: Regular Papers, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1138-1147, June 2005.
-  M. K. Kazimierczuk, V. G. Krizhanovski, J. V. Rassokhina, and D. V. Chernov, “Injection-locked class-E oscillator,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I: Regular Papers, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 1214-1222, June 2006.
-  V. G. Krizhanovski, D. V. Chernov, and M. K. Kazimierczuk, “Lowvoltage electronic ballast based on class E oscillator,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 863-870, May 2007.
-  I. M. Filanovsky, C. J. M. Verhoeven, and M. Reja, “Remarks on analysis, design and amplitude stability of MOS Colpitts oscillator,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-II: Express Briefs, vol. 54, no. 9, pp. 800-804, Sept. 2007.
-  R. Devine and M.-R. Tofighi, “Class E Colpitts oscillator for low power wireless applications,” Electronics Letters, vol. 44, no. 21, pp. 549-551, Oct. 2008.
-  A. S. Elwakil, “On the two-port network classification of Colpitts oscillators,” IET Circuits, Devices and Systems, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 223-232, May 2009.