Variability of the Rotliegend sandstones in the Polish part of the Southern Permian Basin - permeability and porosity relationships
Treść / Zawartość
The Flow Zone Index, FZI, applied to order relations between the effective porosity and permeability of the Rotliegend sandstones in the Polish part of the Southern Permian Basin turns out to be a useful and effective factor to evaluate ability of media flow in a rock formation. A dataset of over 2000 samples from 78 wells was analysed. Based only on porosity and permeability, FZI includes all non-parameterized features of rocks as tortuosity and diameters of porous channels, volume of trapped parts of capillary roads, specific surface of pore space, and others. When FZI increases, the ability of fluid to move through the porous space increases. In most cases, the Rotliegend sandstones reveal FZI in the range of 0.5-2.0. The highest FZI, ca. 100, is related to fractured part of the studied formation. The combination of FZI and facies information from several wells in the study area (over 1200 samples) showed a good correlation. On the basis of FZI we can divide a set of samples of the Rotliegend sandstone into groups of defined fluid flow abilities and relate them to facies. Also, we show the way of estimation of the reliable values of permeability in full geological log of a borehole on the basis of FZI, and the total porosity determined from well logging interpretation.
Bibliogr. 20 poz., rys., tab., wykr.
- Attia, A., M., 2005. Effects of Petrophysical Rock Properties on Tortuosity Factor. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engneering,48: 185-198.
- Bała, M. & Jarzyna, J., 2004. Relationship between porosity and permeability in reservoir rocks using the factor characterizing pore space. (In Polish, English summary). Proceedings of Geopetrol 2004, Prace Instytutu Nafty i Gazu, Cracow, Poland, 130: 275-277.
- Bała, M., Jarzyna, J. & Cichy, A., 2003. Modeling of velocity and attenuation of elastic compressional and shear waves inporous rocks using well logging data. (In Polish). Report of scientific project no 8 T12B 046 20 financed by Polish Committee of Scientific Research. Department of Geophysics, Faculty of Geology Geophysics and Environmental Protection, AGH UST, pp. 98.
- Biernacka, J., Leśniak, G. & Buniak, A., 2006. Compaction versus cementation influence on reservoir properties of Rotliegend eolian sandstones, Fore-Sudetic Monocline, SW Poland. (In Polish, English summary). Prace Instytutu Nafty i Gazu, Cracow, Poland, 134: 67 pp.
- Górecki, W., Papiernik, B., Bała, M., Jarzyna J., Krawiec, J. & Puskarczyk, E., 2008. Prognostic resources and undiscovered natural gas-potential of Rotliegend and Zechstein limestone deposits in Poland. (In Polish). Report of the project no. 562/2005/Wn-06/FG-sm-tx/D funded by Ministry of Environment of Poland in 2005-2008. pp. 196. Department of Fossil Fuels, Faculty of Geology Geophysics and Environmental Protection, AGH UST.
- Jarzyna, J. & Bała, M., 2005. Relationships between petrophysical parameters of the Carboniferous clastic rocks in the Stężyca hydrocarbon deposit, Lublin Basin. (In Polish, English summary). Kwartalnik AGH, Geologia. 31: 337-355.
- Karnkowski, P.H., 1987. Lithostratigraphy of the Rotliegend in Wielkopolska (Western Poland). Geological Quarterly, 31: 643-672.
- Kiersnowski, H., 1997. Depositional development of the Polish Upper Rotliegend Basin and evolution of its sediment source areas. Geological Quarterly, 41: 433-456.
- Kiersnowski, H., 1998. Depositional architecture of the Rotliegend basin in Poland. (In Polish, English summary). Prace Państwowego Instytutu Geologicznego, 165: 113-128.
- Kiersnowski, H. & Buniak, A., 2006. Evolution of the Rotliegend Basin of northwestern Poland. Geological Quarterly, 50: 119-138.
- Mohammed, K. & Corbett, P., 2003. How many relative permeability measurements do you need? A case story from North African reservoir. Petrophysics, 44: 262-270.
- Papiernik,. B., Protas, A., Semyrka, R. & Zając, A., 2007. Diagenetic processes versus reservoir properties of Rotliegend sandstones in: The new strategy and perspectives of natural gas fields exploration in Rotliegend deposits. (In Polish, English sumary). Project financed by the Committee of Scientific Research of Poland, no 6 T12 2003C/06292. pp 194. Department of Fossil Fuels Faculty of Geology Geo-physics and Environmental Protection, AGH UST.
- Pokorski, J., 1981. Formal lithostratigraphic subdivision proposed for the Rotliegend of the Polish Lowlands. Geological Quarterly, 25: 41-58.
- Pokorski, J., 1997. The Lower Permian (Rotliegend). (In Polish, English summary). Prace Państwowego Instytutu Geologicznego, 153: 3562 .
- Pokorski, J., 1998. Prospects of the occurrence of gaseous hydrocarbons in the Rotliegend deposits. (In Polish, English summary). Prace Państwowego Instytutu Geologicznego, 165: 293-298.
- Poszytek, A., 2007. Sedimentary Processes Diversifying Reservoir Properties of the Upper Rotliegend Deposits in the Fore-Sudetic Monocline. Proceedings ofthe 69th Conference and Exhibition of EAGE & SEG, P133, London, 11-14th June 2007, pp. 4.
- Prasad, M., 2000. Velocity-permeability relations with hydraulic units. Geophysics, 68: 108-117.
- Salem, H. & S., 1993. Derivation of the cementation factor (Archie's exponents) and Kozeny-Carman constant from well log data and dependence on lithology and other physical parameters. SPE Paper, V. 26309.
- Tiab, D. & Donaldson, E., C., 2000. Petrophysics, Theory and Practice of Measuring Reservoir Rock and Fluid Transport Properties. (2nd Edition), Elsevier, N.Y., 899 pp.
- Zawisza, L., Gadek, W., Nowak, J. & Twaróg, W., 1995. Estimation of permeabilities and irreducible water saturation for sandstone-clay formations from well logs. Book of Abstracts of Conference and Exhibition "Modern Exploration and Improved Oil and Gas Recovery Methods ". PB-04. 194-196.