Determination of petroleum pollutants in coastal waters of the Gulf of Gdańsk
The paper presents an improved method of determining petroleum pollutants in water based on fluorescence, which allows the oil content to be estimated with an accuracy better than 50%. The method was used to measure the oil content in Gulf of Gdańsk seawater sampled at Gdynia-Orłowo between January 2006 and September 2008. The 174 measurements made during this period ranged from 1 to 120 žg kg-1, but the majority did not exceed 20 ug kg-1. The most probable level of contamination is c. 5 ug kg-1.
bibliogr. 14 poz., wykr.
- GESAMP - Joint Group of Experts on the Scientific Aspects of Marine Environmental Protection, 1993, Impact of oil and related chemicals and wastes on the marine environment, Rep. Stud. No. 50, 180 pp.
- GESAMP, 2007, Estimates of oil entering the marine environment from sea-based activities, Rep. Stud. No. 75, 96 pp.
- Hornig A.W., 1974, Identification, estimation and monitoring of petroleum in marine waters by luminescence methods, NBS Spec. Publ. No. 409,
- IMO - International Maritime Organization, 1997, International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships MARPOL 73/78, Polish Ship Register, Gdańsk, 338 pp.
- IOC - IntergovernmentalOceanographic Commission, 1984, Manual for monitoring oil and dissolved/dispersed petroleum hydrocarbons in marine waters and beaches, IOC Manuals and Guides No. 7, UNESCO, Paris, 35 pp.
- Kajdas C., 1979, Chemistry and physicochemistry of petroleum, WNT, Warszawa, 375 pp., (in Polish).
- Kaniewski E., Otremba Z., Stelmaszewski A., Szczepańska T., 2003, The oil pollution in the sediments of the Southern Baltic, ICES Coop. Res. Rep. No. 257, 118-120.
- Kawski A., 1992, Photoluminescence of solutions, PWN, Warszawa, 192 pp., (in Polish).
- NRC - National Research Council, 1985, Oil in the sea. Inputs, fates and effects, Natl. Acad. Press, Washington, 601 pp.
- Otremba Z., Stelmaszewski A., 1994, Concentration and origin of oil contaminations in the Gdańsk Bay coast water, Proc. 19th Conf. Baltic Oceanogr., Sopot, 630-638.
- Petrov A.A., 1984, Petroleum hydrocarbons, Nauka, Moscow, 263 pp., (in Russian), [1987, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 255 pp., (English translation)].
- Stelmaszewski A., 2004, Fluorescence method for the determination of oil identity, Opt. Appl., XXXIV(3), 405-418.
- Stelmaszewski A., 2007a, Discrimination of petroleum fluorescence spectra, Luminescence, 22 (6), 594-595.
- Stelmaszewski A., 2007b, Application of fluorescence for determination of petroleum content in water, [in:] Physicochemical problems of natural waters ecology, Vol. 5, Gd. Maritime Univ. Publ., Gdynia, 35-39.