Investigation of adhesion characteristics of different tyre types in different weather conditions
Treść / Zawartość
Tyre-to-road adhesion has a great influence on transmitting forces between wheels and road surface and in the consequence on the safety of automobile motion. It plays significant role in vehicle motion modelling, especially for the needs of traffic accidents reconstruction and the development of active safety systems in automobiles. Simultaneously, the knowledge about tyre-to-road adhesion is limited, especially in case of the differences between anti-slip properties of summer and winter tyres. In the paper, method of the measurement of tyre-to-road adhesion coefficient is presented. The measurement system SRT-4 consists of special dynamometer trailer, towing vehicle and test-measuring equipment. It was designed for the needs of road engineering and further developed in the Institute of Vehicles of Warsaw University of Technology. It enables to obtain adhesion characteristics, i.e. graph of adhesion coefficient as a function of wheel slip ratio. In the article, examples of tyre-toroad adhesion characteristics and velocity characteristics of peak adhesion coefficient for different types of tyres (summer, winter) in different weather conditions are presented. Differences in characteristics courses caused by tyre type and weather conditions are discussed. For instance, in case of winter tyres it was noticed that their peak value of adhesion coefficient was reached for higher values of slip ratio than it was observed for summer tyres.
Bibliogr. 5 poz., rys.
- Warsaw University of Technology, Institute of Vehicles, Section of Automobiles Narbutta Street 84, 02-524 Warszawa, Poland tel./fax: +48 22 8490303, +48 22 8490302, firstname.lastname@example.org
-  Antle, Ch. E., Wambold, J. C., Henry, J. J., International PIARC Experiment to Compare and Harmonize Texture and Skid Resistance Measurement, PIARC Technical Commitee on Surface Characteristics C1, 1995.
-  Pokorski, J., Mechowski, T., Szwabik, B., Effective Method of Determining Dynamic Characteristics of Road Pavement Friction, 2nd Eurasphalt & Eurobitume Congress, Book I, pp. 855–861, Barcelona 2000.
-  Grzesikiewicz, W., Pokorski, J., Modeling of Tangential Interaction between Braking Wheel and Road Pavement in Aspect of Friction Coefficient Measurement, X International Conference Durable and safe road pavements, IBDiM, pp. 585-592, Warsaw 2004.
-  Reński, A., Pokorski, J., Bieliński, M., Sar, H., Investigation of dynamic properties of a motor car in its curvilinear motion, Journal of KONES Powertrain and Transport, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 341-351, 2006.
-  Pokorski, J., Reński, A., Sar, H., Investigation of tyre-to-road adhesion in dynamic braking conditions, Machine Dynamics Research, Vol. 34, No 2, pp. 98-108, Warsaw 2010.