Simulating time-histories and pseudo-spectral accelerations from the 1992 Cairo earthquake at the proposed El-Fayoum New City Site, Egypt
El-Fayoum New City represents one of the new urban settlements that are recently erected all over Egypt. Because seismic recordings are not available, I used the stochastic method to simulate the largest damaging earthquake from the closest seismic source to the proposed area of the city. To verify the method and its computed results in Egypt, a study termed “method verification” was performed. I found that the October 12, 1992, earthquake (M b = 5.8) that occurred southwest of Cairo in the vicinity of the Dahshour region, at the coordinates 29.77°N, 31.07°E, is a significant earthquake to the city. The parameters of the path from the hypocenter of the event to the city were taken into consideration. To determine the site parameters, a shallow seismic refraction survey was carried out in the studied area. Accordingly, I simulated time-histories and pseudo-spectral accelerations from the October 12, 1992, earthquake at the location of seismic profiles. Finally, it is demonstrated that the site is characterized by high ground motion amplification factors, producing a high ground motion acceleration value.
Bibliogr. 27 poz.
- Abou El-Enean, K. (1997), A study on the seismotectonics of Egypt in relation to the Mediterranean and Red Seas tectonics, Ph.D. Thesis, Ain Shams University Cairo, Egypt.
- Abou El-Enean, K., H.M. Hussein, A. Abu El-Ata, and E.M. Ibrahim (2000), Seismological aspects of the Cairo earthquake, 12th October 1992, Ann. Geofis. 43, 485-504.
- Aki, K. (1967), Scaling law of seismic spectrum, J. Geophys. Res. 72, 1217-1231,DOI: 10.1029/JZ072i004p01217.
- Andrews, D.J. (1986), Objective determination of source parameters and similarity of earthquakes of different size. In: S. Das, J. Boatwright, and C.H. Scholz (eds.), Earthquake Source Mechanics, 259-268, AGU, Washington, D.C.
- Atkinson, G.M., and D.M. Boore (1995), Ground motion relations for eastern North America, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 85, 17-30.
- Boore, D.M. (1983), Stochastic simulation of high frequency ground motions based on seismological models of the radiated spectra, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 73,1865-1894.
- Boore, D.M. (2003), Simulation of ground motion using the stochastic method, Pure Appl. Geophys. 160, 635-676, DOI: 10.1007/PL00012553.
- Boore, D.M. (2005), SMSIM: Fortran programs for simulating ground motions from earthquakes, Version 2.3: A revision of OFR 96-80-A, U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Brune, J.N. (1970), Tectonic stress and the spectra of seismic shear waves from earthquakes, J. Geophys. Res. 75, 4997-5009, DOI: 10.1029/JB075i026p04997.
- Brune, J.N. (1971), Correction, J. Geophys. Res. 76, 5002, DOI: 10.1029/ JB076i020p05002
- Egyptian General Organization for Physical Planning (2000), Technical Report for Soil Mechanics at the Proposed Area of El-Fayoum New City, Egypt. Internal report submitted to Egyptian Ministry of Housing, Utilities and Urban Communities.
- Egyptian National Seismological Network (2006), Egypt. Seism. Bull. VI. El Hadidy, S. (1993), Source process of the 1992 Cairo, Egypt earthquake using far field seismogram, Report for the Course of Seismology 1992-1993, IISEE, Japan.
- El Hadidy, S. (1995), Crustal structure and its related causative tectonics in Northern Egypt using geophysical data, Ph.D. Thesis, Ain Shams University Cairo, Egypt.
- Fahmy, S.E. (1969), Biostratigraphy of Paleogene deposits in Egypt, Proc. 3rd African Micropaleontol. Colloq. Cairo, 477-484.
- Hanks, T.C. (1982), Fmax., Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 72, 1867-1879. Hanks, T.C., and R.K. McGuire (1981), The character of high-frequency strong ground motion, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 71, 2071-2095.
- Hassan, M.Y., O.H. Cherif, and N.S. Zahran (1981), Geology and stratigraphy of the Giza Pyramids plateau, J. UAE Univ. Al' Ain 2.
- Hemdan, M.A. (1992), Pliocene and Quaternary deposits in Bani Suef-East Fayoum area and their relationship to the geological evolution of River Nile, Ph.D. Thesis, Cairo University Cairo, Egypt.
- Japanese Expert Team (1993), Report of Japan Disaster Relief Team on the earthquake in Arab Republic of Egypt of October 12, 1992.
- Jennings, P.C. (1983), Engineering seismology. In: H. Kanamori and E. Boschi (eds.), Proc. Intern. School of Physics "Enrico Fermi", LXXX, 138-173.
- McGuire, R.K., A.M. Becker, and N.C. Donvan (1984), Spectral estimates of seismic shear waves, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 74, 1427-1440.
- Mohamed, A.A., A.A. Tealeb, M.A. El-Hefnawy, H.H. El-Qady, K. Abdel-Rahman, and A.K. Abd El-Aal (2002), Seismicity and seismic hazard assessment for EL-Fayoum New City, Egypt, Bull. Fac. Sci., Zagazig Univ. 24, 67-87.
- Moustafa, S. (2002), Assessment of ground motion variation for seismic hazard mitigation in the vicinity of Cairo metropolitan area, Ph.D. Thesis, Ain Shams University Cairo, Egypt.
- Said, R. (1990), The Geology of Egypt, Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Takahashi R., and K. Hirano (1941), Seismic vibrations of soft ground, Bull. Earthq. Res. Inst. Tokyo Univ. 19, 534-543.