Soil radon observations as possible earthquake precursors in Turkey
Continuous soil radon gas observations in Turkey since 2002 have yielded consistent and repeatably encouraging results in terms of detection of anomalies prior to seismic events. However, earthquakes are quite complex natural phenomena and pre-seismic periods should be monitored by different techniques which may yield complementary results. Multidisciplinary research is seen necessary due to the fact that fault systems generating devastation earthquakes can be found in tectonically quite different regimes and that crustal deformation may not be detected by any of the available techniques alone.
Bibliogr. 12 poz.
- Areshidze, G., F. Bella, P.F. Biagi, M. Caputo, G. Della Monica, A. Ermini, P. Manjgaladze, G. Melikadze, V. Sgrigna, and D. Zilpimiani (1992), No preseismic evidence from hydrogeochemical parameters on the occasion of April 29, 1991, Georgian earthquake, Caucasus, Tectonophysics 213, 3-4, 353-358.
- Bella, F., P.F. Biagi, M. Caputo, E. Cozzi, G. Della Monica, A. Ermini, E.I. Gordeez, Y.M. Khatkevich, G. Martinelli, W. Plastino, R. Scandone, V. Sgrigna, and D. Zilpimani (1998), Hydrogeochemical anomalies in Kamchatka (Russia), Phys. Chem. Earth 23, 9-10, 921-925.
- Chyi, L.L., C.Y. Chou, T.F. Yang, and C.H. Chen (2001), Continuous radon measurements in faults and earthquake precursor pattern recognition, Western Pacific Earth Sci. 1, 2, 227-243.
- Dobrovolsky, I.P., S.I. Zubkov, and V.I. Miachkin (1979), Estimation of the size of earthquake preparation zones, Pure Appl. Geophys. 117, 5, 1025-1044.
- İnan, S., S. Ergintav, R. Saatçılar, B. Tüzel, and Y. İravul (2007), Turkey makes major investment in earthquake research, Eos Trans. AGU 88, 34, 333-334.
- İnan, S., T. Akgül, C. Seyis, R. Saatçılar, S. Baykut, S. Ergintav, and M. Baş (2008), Geochemical monitoring in the Marmara region (NW Turkey): A search for precursors of seismic activity, J. Geophys. Res. 113, B03401.
- İnan, S., K. Ertekin, C. Seyis, Ş. Şimşek, F. Kulak, A. Dikbaş, O. Tan, S. Ergintav, R. Çakmak, A. Yörük, M. Çergel, H. Yakan, H. Karakuş, R. Saatçılar, Z. Akçığ, Y. İravul, and B. Tüzel (2010), Multi-disciplinary earthquake researches in the Aegean extensional province (Western Turkey): Preliminary results based on geochemical monitoring, Acta Geophys. 58, 5, 767-813.
- Montgomery, D.R., and M. Manga (2003), Streamflow and water well responses to earthquakes, Science 300, 5628, 2047-2049.
- Planinić, J., V. Radolić, and B. Vuković (2004), Radon as an earthquake precursor, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res. A 530, 3, 568-574.
- Sultankhodhaev, G.A. (1984), Earthquake Prediction, UNESCO, Paris, 181-191.
- Şaroğlu, F., Ö. Emre, and İ. Kuşçu (1992), Active Fault Map of Turkey (1:2 000 000 scale), General Directorate of Mineral Research and Exploration (MTA), Ankara, Turkey.
- Thomas, D.M., J.M. Cotter, and D. Holford (1992), Experimental design for soil gas radon monitoring, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem. 161, 2, 313-323.