Effect of alkalization process on changes in the chemical composition of secondary sludge
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
The paper addresses the problem of how the alkalization of partly dewatered (98.2% and 98.8% H2O) secondary sludge with a calcium hydroxide suspension influences the chemical composition of the organic fraction (which undergoes changes induced by hydrolysis processes). The process of sludge stabilization was assessed in terms of the COD/TOC ratio and the atomic O/C ratio. As a consequence of the hydrolysis processes, the content of proteins and fats as well as other organic substances (primarily simple acids) decreased, which manifested itself as a decrease of the oxygen and nitrogen content in the sludge being alkalized, and an increase in the value of the COD/TOC ratio, which was concomitant with a decrease in the atomic O/C ratio. It was found that treatment with low calcium hydroxide doses sufficed to stabilize the sludge. The products obtained are of no environmental nuisance and can be used for agricultural applications.
bibliogr. 11 poz.
-  FARRELL J.B., SMITH J.E., HARTHAWAY S.W., Lime stabilization in primary sludges, Journal Water Pollution Control Federation, 1974, 46, 11.
-  MARCINKOWSKI T., Decontamination of sewage sludges with quicklime, Waste Managm. and Research, 1985, 3, 55–64.
-  WONG J.W.C., FANG M., Effects of lime addition on sewage sludge composting process, Water Research, 2000, 34, 3691–3698.
-  CAPIZZI-BANAS S., DELOGE M., REMY M., SCHWARTZBROD J., Liming as an advanced treatment for sludge sanitization: helminth eggs elimination – Ascaris eggs as model, Water Research, 2004, 38, 3251–3258.
-  CZECHOWSKI F., MARCINKOWSKI T., Sewage sludge stabilization with calcium hydroxide: Effect on physicochemical properties and molecular composition, Water Research, 2006, 40, 1895–1905.
-  METCALF & EDDY, Wastewater Engineering. Treatment and Reuse, McGraw Hill, 2004.
-  MARCINKOWSKI T., Alkaline stabilization of municipal sewage sludges, Scientific Papers of the Institute of Environmental Protection Engineering of the Wrocław University of Technology, 2004, No. 76.
-  NORTH J.M., BECKER J.G., SEAGREN E.A., RAMIREZ M., PEOT C., Methods for quantifing lime incorporation into dewatered sludge. I: Bench-scale evaluation, Journal of Environmental Engineering © ASCE, 2008.
-  DOJLIDO J., Fizyczno-chemiczne badanie wody i ścieków, Arkady, Warszawa, 1999.
-  BOBRAŃSKI B., Analiza ilościowa związków organicznych, Państwowe Wydawnictwo Naukowe, Warszawa, 1979.
-  KOWALSKI T., The effect of biochemical decomposition of organic pollutants in water and wastewater on their treatability, Scientific Papers of the Institute of Environmental Protection Engineering of the Wrocław University of Technology, 1988, No. 59.