ZnO thin film as methane sensor
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
Methane (CH4) sensitivity of zinc oxide (ZnO) thin film has been studied in the present work. The sensor element comprises of a chemically fabricated ZnO semiconducting layer and a layer of palladium (Pd) as catalyst. The catalyst layer was formed on the surface of semiconducting ZnO following a wet chemical process from palladium chloride (PdCl2) solution. Fundamental features of a sensor element e.g. sensitivity, response time and recovery process has been studied. The effect of operating temperature on performance of the sensor material has been investigated and a choice of optimum temperature was made at around 200°C. The sensor element exhibited reasonable sensitivity of about 86% at this temperature in presence of 1 vol% methane (CH4) in air.
Bibliogr. 23 poz., rys., tab.
-  J.F. McAleer, P.T. Moseley, J.O.W. Norris, and D.E. Williams, "Tin dioxide gas sensor", J. Chem. Faraday Trans. 183, 1323-1346 (1987).
-  K.D. Schierbaum, U.K. Kirner, J.F. Geiger and W Gopel, "Schottky-barrier and conductivity gas sensors based upon Pd/SnO2 and Pt/TiO2", Sensors and Actuators B4, 87-94 (1991).
-  N. Yamazoe, "New approaches for improving semiconductor gas sensors", Sensors and Actuators B5, 7-19 (1991).
-  M. Penza, C. Martucci, and G. Cassano, "NOx gas sensing characteristics of WO3 thin films activated by noble metals (Pd, Pt, Au) layers", Sensors and Actuators B50, 52-59 (1998).
-  V.V. Malyshev, A.A. Vasiliev, A.V. Eryshkin, E.A. Koltypin, Y.I. Shubin, A.I. Buturlin, V.A Zaikin, and G.B. Chakhunashvili, "Gas sensitiviy of SnO2 and ZnO thin-film resistive sensors to hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and hydrogen", Sensors and Actuators B10, 11-14 (1992).
-  A. Jones, T.A. Jones, B. Mann, and J.G. Firth, "The effect of the physical form of the oxide on the conductivity changes produced by CH., CO and H2O on ZnO", Sensors and Actuators 5, 75-88 (1984).
-  A Banerjee, A.K. Haldar J. Mondal, A. Sen, and H.S. Maiti, "Bi-layer functionally gradient thick film semiconducting methane sensor", Bull. Materials Science 25, 497-500 (2002).
-  B. Licznerski, "Thick-film gas microsensors based on tin dioxide", Bull. Pol. Ac.: Tech. 52,37-42 (2004).
-  G. Martinelli and M.C. Carotta, "Sensitivity to reducing gas as a function of energy barrier in SnO2 thick-film gas sensor", Sensors and Actuators B7, 717-720 (1992).
-  S. Saito, M. Miyayama, K. Koumoto, and H. Yanagida, "Gas sensing characteristic of porous ZnO and Pt/ZnO ceramics", J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 68,40-43 (1985).
-  D. Xiao, P. Yu, R. Du, J. Zhu, S. Peng, P. Li, and Y. Zhuang, "Investigation on new types of semiconducting ceramic gas sensors", J. Materials Synthesis and Processing 6, 429-432 (1998).
-  Z. Jiao, G. Ye, F. Chen, M. Li, and J. Liu, "The preparation of ZnGa2O. nanocrystals by spray coprecipitation and its gas sensing characteristics", Sensors 2,71-78 (2002).
-  A.M. Azad, S. A. Akbar, S.G. Mhaisalkar, L.D. Birkefeld, and S.K. Goto, "Solid-state gas sensors: a review", J. Electrochem. Soc. 139, 3690-3703 (1992).
-  A. Ghosh and S. Basu, "Spray/CVD deposition and characterization of surface modified zinc oxide thick films for gas sensors", Mater. Chem. Phys. 27,45-54 (1991).
-  F. Boccuzzi, E. Guglielminotti, and Chiorino, "IR study of gas-sensing materials: NO interaction on ZnO and TiO2, pure or modified by metals", Sensors and Actuators 7, 645-650 (1992).
-  J. Mizsei, "Activation technology of SnO2 layers by metal particles from ultrathin metal film", Sensors and Actuators B15-16, 328-333 (1993).
-  S.P.S. Arya, A. D'Amico, and E. Verona, "Study of sputtered ZnO-Pd thin films as solid state H2 and NH3 gas sensors", Thin Solid Films 157, 169-174 (1988).
-  P. Mitra and H.S. Maiti, "A wet-chemical process to form palladium oxide sensitiser layer on thin film zinc oxide based LPG sensor", Sensors and Actuators B 97, 49-58 (2004).
-  A.P. Chatterjee, P. Mitra, and A.K. Mukhopadhyay, "Chemically deposited zincoxide thin film gas sensor", J. Materials Science 34, 4225-4231 (1999).
-  P. Mitraand and J. Khan, "Chemical deposition of ZnO films from ammonium zincate bath", Materials Chemistry and Physics 98, 279-294 (2006).
-  S.W Lee, P.P Tsai, and H. Chen, "Comparison study of SnO2 thin- and thick-film gas sensors", Sensors and Actuators 67, 122-127 (2000).
-  J.H. Yu and G.M. Choi, "Selective CO gas detection of CuO and ZnO-doped SnO2 gas sensor", Sensors and Actuators 75, 56-61 (2001).
-  H. Nanto, H. Sokooshi, T. Kawai, and T. Usuda, "Zinc oxide thin-film trimethylamine sensor with high sensitivity and excellent selectivity", J. Materials Science Letters 11, 235-137 (1992).