The procedure of evaluating the practical adhesion strength of new biocompatible nano- and micro-thin films in accordance with international standards
Wybrane pełne teksty z tego czasopisma
The possibilities of using newly developed nano- and micro-thin films in biomedicine are intensively studied at the present time. Many research institutions are looking for ways to evaluate mechanical properties of these films. One of the most important and frequently studied characteristics is practical adhesion. A very important method for evaluating the practical adhesion strength is scratch test. Often, however, the research teams use a method based on the disunity evaluation of adhesion of biocompatible surface layer. This makes the quantitative comparison of research results impossible. We designed and tested new evaluation method and procedure based on international standards in order to eliminate these problems. This article is aimed at showing the new possibility of using established standards for evaluating adhesion of nano- and micro-thin biocompatible films and at showing the application of the standards to evaluate the often studied DLC biocompatible layers. The thickness of the film was 470 nm. As a substrate a titanium alloy Ti6Al4V was used.
Bibliogr. 30 poz., il.
-  EN 1071-3, Advanced technical ceramics - Method of test for ceramic coatings - Part 3: Determination of adhesion and other mechanical failure modes by a scratch test, Brussels, 2006.
-  ISO copyright office, International standards ISO 20502: Fine ceramics (advanced ceramics, advanced technical ceramics) - Determination of adhesion of ceramic coatings by scratch testing, Geneva, 2005.
-  ASTM International, Standard C1624 (C1624-05): Test Method for Adhesion Strength and Mechanical Failure Modes of Ceramic Coatings by Quantitative Single Point Scratch Testing, Conshohocken, 2005.
-  ASTM International, Standard ASTM D7187: Test Method for Measuring Mechanistic Aspects of Scratch/Mar Behavior of Paint Coatings by a Nanoscratching, Conshohocken, 2005.
-  BULL J., Failure modes in scratch adhesion testing, Surf. Coat. Technol., 1991, 50, 25-32.
-  PERRY A., The adhesion of chemically vapour-deposited hard coatings to steel - the scratch test, Thin Solid Films, 1981, 78, 77-93.
-  PERRY A., Scratch adhesion testing of hard coatings, Thin Solid Films, 1983, 107, 167-180.
-  STEINMANN P., HINTERMANN H., Adhesion of TiC and Ti(C,N) coatings on steel, J. Vac. Sci. Technol., 1985, 3(6), 2394-2400.
-  VALLI J., TiN coating adhesion studies using the scratch test method, J. Vac. Sci. Technol., 1985, 3(6), 2411-2414.
-  VALLI J., A review of adhesion test methods for thin hard coatings, J. Vac. Sci. Technol., 1986, 4(6), 3007-3014.
-  VALLI J., MÄKELÄ U., MATTHEWS A., Assessment of coating adhesion, Surf. Eng., 1986, 2(1), 49-53.
-  PERRY A., Scratch adhesion testing: a critique, Surf. Eng., 1986, 2(3), 183-190.
-  BULL S., RICKERBY D., MATTHEWS A., LEYLAND A., PACE A., VALLI J., The use of scratch adhesion testing for the determination of interfacial adhesion: the importance of frictional drag, Surf. Coat. Technol., 1986, 36, 503-517.
-  STEBUT J., REZAKHANLOU R., ANOUN K., MICHEL H., GANTOIS M., Major damage mechanisms during scratch and wear testing of hard coatings on hard substrates, Thin Solid Films, 1986, 181, 555-564.
-  BROMARK M., LARSSON M., HEDENQUIST P., OLSSON M., HOGMARK S., Influence of substrate surface topography on the critical normal force in scratch adhesion testing of TiNcoated steels, Surf. Coat. Technol., 1992, 52, 195-203.
-  HOLMBERG K., Surface fracture toughness measurement by the scratch test method, Tribologia-Finn. J. Tribol., 2000, 19(3), 24-32.
-  HEDENQUIST P., OLSSON M., JACOBSON S., HOGMARK S., Failure mode analysis of TiN-coated high speed steel: in situ scratch adhesion test in scanning electron microscope, Surf. Coat. Technol., 1990, 41, 31-49.
-  NAKAO S. et al., Micro-scratch test of DLC films on Si substrates prepared by bipolartype plasma based ion implantation, Surface & Coatings Technology, 2007, 201, 8334-8338.
-  FUNUDA Y. et al., Adhesion strength of DLC films on glass with mixing layer prepared by IBAD, Surface & Coatings Technology, 2000, 128-129, 308-312.
-  HORIUCHI T. et al., Evaluation of adhesion and wear resistance of DLC films deposited by various methods, Plasma Processes and Polymers, 2009, 6, 410-416.
-  Durability evaluation of ultra-thin diamond-like carbon films: application note, [in:] CETR. http://www.cetr.com/ Brochures/scratch_resistance.pdf (2011 June)
-  ZHANG T., HUAN Y., Nanoindentation and nanoscratch behaviors of DLC coatings on different steel substrates, Composites Science and Technology, 2005, 65, 1409-1413.
-  VERCAMMEN K. et al., Tribological behaviour of DLC coatings in combination with biodegradable lubricants, Tribology International, 2004, 37, 983-989.
-  BLAU J., Lab Hanbook of Scratch Testing, Chapter 7. Scratch Adhesion Testing, Blue Rock Technical Publ., Oak Ride, 2002, 7.1-7.15.
-  RANDALL X., FAVARO G., FRANKEL H., Effect of intrinsic parameters on the critical load as measured with the scratch test method, Surface and Coatings Technology, 2001, 137, 146-151.
-  XIE Y., HAWTHORNE M., Effect of contact geometry on the failure modes of thin coatings in the scratch adhesion test, Surface and Coatings Technology, 2002, 155, 121-129.
-  ICHIMURA H., ISHII Y., Effects of indenter radius on the critical load in scratch testing, Surface and Coatings Technology, 2003, 165, 1-7.
-  MENEVE J. et al., Scratch Adhesion Testing of Coated Surfaces - Challenges and New Directions, [in:] Adhesion Measurement of Films and Coatings, edited by K.L. Mittal, VSP International Science Publishers, Zeist, 2001, 2, 79-106.
-  KANDEL A., Fuzzy Expert Systems, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1991.
-  SILER W., BUCKLEY J., Fuzzy Expert Systems and Fuzzy Reasoning, J. Wiley & Sons, New York, 2005.