Miocene lacustrine succession of the Hoyran Lake Basin, Isparta, southwest Turkey
The Hoyran Lake Basin is an example of a Neogene rift basin in southwest Turkey. Initially red coloured, poorlysorted, angular cobble to pebble conglomerates were deposited close to the boundary faults. These conglomerates then passed into the finer-grained, calcite-cemented pebble to granule conglomerates towards the basin interior. The distributions of other lacustrine lithofacies (siltstone/claystone, marlstone, limestone and magnesite) appear to have been dependent on the proximity of the lake margins. These occurrences show that the basin was subject to some climatic and tectonic controls. Humid seasons and/or tectonic activities resulted in increased clastic input from the lake margins, drier conditions enhanced evaporation and significantly modified the water chemistry. Ultramafic and dolomitic older rocks around the basin are considered to have been an important source for the ion concentrations implicated in the precipitation of dolomite and magnesite in the Hoyran Lake deposits.
Bibliogr. 59 poz.,Fot., rys., tabl., w
- Abdul Aziz, H., Sanz Rubio, E., Calvo, J.P., Hilgen, F. J. and Krijgsman, W. 2003. Palaeoenvironmental reconstruction of a Middle Miocene alluvial fan to cyclic shallow lacustrine depositional system in the Calatayud Basin (NE Spain). Sedimentology, 50, 211–236.
- Alçiçek M.C., Kazancı N. and Özkul M. 2005. Multiple rifting pulses and sedimentation pattern in the Çameli Basin, southwestern Anatolia, Turkey. Sedimentary Geology, 173, 409–431.
- Allen, P.A. and Collinson, J.D. 1991. Chapter 4; Lakes. In: H.G. Reading (Ed.), Sedimentary Environments and Facies (Second Edition). Blackwell Scientific Publication, 63–94.
- Altınkale, S. 2001. Hydrogeochemically and isotope geochemically comparing of the Eğirdir and Burdur Lakes. Süleyman Demirel University, Institute of Basic and Applied Sciences, MSc Thesis, 68 p. [unpublished, in Turkish with English abstract]
- Anadon, P., Cabrera, L. Julia, R. and Marzo, M. 1991. Sequential arrangement and asymmetrical fill in the Miocene Rubielos de Mora Basin (northeast Spain). In: P. Anadon, L. Cabrera, K. Kelts, (Eds), Lacustrine Facies Analysis. International Association of Sedimentologists, Special Publication, 13, 257–275.
- Arp, G., Reimer, A. and Reitner, J. 1999. Calcification in cyanobacterial biofilms of alkaline salt lakes. European Journal of Phycology, 34, 393–403.
- Barka, A. and Reilinger, R. 1997. Active tectonics of the eastern Mediterranean region deduced from the GPS, neotectonic and seismicity data. Annali Geofisica, 587–610.
- Blumenthal, M. 1944. Structure and series of the Taurus Mountain Range in the south of Bozkır. Bulletin of Istanbul University Physical Institute, 9-2, 95–125. [In Turkish]
- Blumenthal, M. 1963. Le systeme structural de Taurus Sud Anatolien. Livre a la mem. P. Fallot, 11, 611–662.
- Bohacs, K.M., Carroll, A.R., Neal, J.E. and Mankeiwicz, P.J. 2000. Lake-basin type, source potential, and hydrocarbon character: an integrated sequence-stratigraphic-geochemical framework. In: E. Gierlowski-Kordesch, and K. Kelts (Eds), Lake Basins Through Space and Time. Studies in Geology No. 46, American Association of Petroleum Geologists, 3–34.
- Bozkurt, E. and Sözbilir, H. 2004. Geology of Gediz Graben: new field evidence and tectonic significance. Geological Magazine, 141, 63–79.
- Carroll, A.R. and Bohacs, K.M. 1999. Stratigraphic classification of ancient lakes: Balancing tectonic and climatic controls. Geology, 27, 99–102.
- Cronin, B.T., and Kidd, R.B. 1998. Heterogeneity and lithotype distribution in ancient deep sea canyons: Point Lobos Deep Sea Canyon as a reservoir analogue. Sedimentary Geology, 115, 315–349.
- Demets, C., Gordon, R.G., Argus, D.F. and Stein, S. 1994. Effect of recent revisions to the geomagnetic reversal time scale on estimate of current plate motions. Geophysics Research Letters, 21, 2191–2194.
- Demirkol, C. 1981. The geology of the northeast of the Sultandağı and relation with Beyşehir-Hoyran Nappe. The Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey Report No: TBAG-382, 56 pp., unpublished. [In Turkish with French abstract]
- Demirkol, C. 1984. Geology and tectonics of the region south of Çay (Afyon). In: O. Tekeli, and C. Göncüoğlu (Eds), Geology of Taurus Belt. Mineral Research and Exploration, Ankara, 69–75.
- Demirkol, C. and Yetiş, C. 1983. Stratigraphy of the north of the Hoyran Lake (Isparta). Bulletin of the Mineral Research and Exploration Institute, 101-102, 1–13. [In Turkish with English summary]
- Deynoux, M., Çiner, A., Monod, O., Karabiyikoğlu, M., Manatschal, G. and Tuzcu, S. 2005. Facies architecture and depositional evolution of alluvial fan to fan delta complexes in the tectonically active Miocene Köprüçay Basin, Isparta Angle, Turkey. Sedimentary Geology, 173, 315–343.
- Dumont, J. F. and Kerey, E. 1975. General geologic study of the southern part of the Eğridir Lake. Bulletin of Geological Society of Turkey, 18-2, 169–175. [In Turkish with English summary]
- Ferris, F.G., Thompson, J. and Beveridge, T.J. 1997. Modern freshwater microbialites from Kelly Lake, British Columbia, Canada. Society for Sedimentary Geology, 12, 213–219.
- Flecker R., Ellam R.M., Müller C., Poisson A., Robertson A.H.F. and Turner J. 1998. Application of Sr isotope stratigraphy and sedimentary analysis to the origin and evolution of the Neogene basins in the Isparta Angle, southern Turkey. Tectonophysics, 298, 83–101.
- Glover, C. and Robertson, A.H.F. 1998. Neotectonic intersection of the Aegean and Cyprus tectonic arcs: extensional and strike-slip faulting in the Isparta Angle SW Turkey. Tectonophysics, 298, 103–132.
- Görür, N., Şengör, A.M.C., Sakinç, M., Tüysüz, O., Akkök, R., Yiğitbaş, E., Oktay, F.Y., Barka, A., Sarica, N., Ecevitoğlu, B., Demirbağ, E., Ersoy, S., Algan, O., Güneysu, C. and Ayköl, A. 1995. Rift formation in the Gökova region, southwestern Anatolia: implications for the opening of the Aegean sea. Geological Magazine, 132, 637– 650.
- Gutnic, M., Keller, D. and Monod, O. 1968. Decouverte de Nappes de charriage dans de nord du Taurus occidental (Turquie meridionale). C.R. ACAD Sci., Paris, 226, 998–991.
- Hayward, A.B. 1982. Reefs in coarse clastic sedimentary environments. Journal of Coral Reefs, 1, 109–114.
- Hayward, A.B. 1984. Miocene clastic sedimentation related to the emplacement of the Lycian Nappes and the Antalya Complex, SW Turkey. In: J.E. Dixon and A.H.F. Robertson (Eds), The geological evolution of the Eastern Mediterranean. Spec. Publ. Geol. Soc. Lond, 17, 287–300.
- Karabıyıkoglu, M., Tuzcu, S., Çiner, A., Deynoux, M., Örçen, S. and Hakyemez, A. 2005. Facies and environmental setting of the Miocene coral reefs in the late-orogenic fill of the Antalya Basin, Western Taurides, Turkey: implications for tectonic control and sea-level. Sedimentary Geology, 173, 345–371.
- Karakaya, Z. and Kadir, S. 1998. The mineralogical and geological investigations of the Neogene lacustrine basin unit in the north of the Konya. Bulletin of Mineral Research and Exploration Institute, 120, 121–133. [In Turkish]
- Kelts, K. and Hsü, K.J. 1978. Freshwater carbonate sedimentation, pp. 295–332. In: A. Lerman (Ed.), Lakes; Chemistry, Geology, Physics. Springer-Verlag; Berlin.
- Kempe, S., Kazmierczak, J., Landmann, G., Konuk, T., Reimer, A. and Lipp, A. 1991. Largest known microbialites discovered in Lake Van, Turkey. Nature, 349, 605–608.
- Koçyiğit, A. 1983. Tectonic of the Hoyran Lake (Isparta Bend) Region. Bulletin of the Geological Society of Turkey, 26, 1–10. [In Turkish with English sumamry]
- Koçyiğit, A. and Beyhan, A. 1998. A new intracontinental transcurrent structure: the Central Anatolian Fault Zone, Turkey. Tectonophysics, 284, 317–336.
- Koçyiğit, A. and Özaçar, A. 2003. Extensional neotectonic regime through the NE edge of the outer Isparta Angle, SW Turkey: new field and seismic data. Turkish Journal of Earth Science, 12, 67–90.
- Middleton, G.V. and Hampton, M.A. 1976. Subaqueous sediment transport by sediment gravity flows, pp. 197–218. In: D.J. Stanley, D.J.P. Swift (Eds), Marine Sediment Transport and Environmental Management. Wiley New; York.
- Mutti, E. and Lucchi, F.L. 1972. Turbidites of the Northern Apennines: introduction to facies analysis. International Geology Review, 20, 125–166. [English Translation by T. H. Nilson, 1978]
- Oral, M.B., Reilinger, R.E., Toksöz, M.N., King, R.W. and Barka, A. 1995. Global Positioning System offers evidence of plate motions in the eastern Mediterranean. Transactions of the American Geophysical Union, 76-2, 9–11.
- Önalan, M. 1997. Sedimentology; Physical Principles of the Deposition, Facies Analysis and Continental Depositional Environment. Vol. I, İstanbul University Publication No: 3825, İstanbul, 275–322. [In Turkish]
- Picard, M.D. and High, L.R. 1972. Criteria for recognizing lacustrine rocks. In: J.K. Rigby and W.K. Hamblin (Eds), Recognition of Ancient Sedimentary Environments. Society of Economic Paleontologists and Mineralogist, SP, 16, 108–145.
- Picard, M.D. and High, L.R. 1981. Physical stratigraphy of ancient lacustrine deposits. In: F.K. Ethridge and R.M. Flores (Eds), Recent and Ancient Nonmarine Depositional Environments: Models for Exploration. Society of Economic Paleontologists and Mineralogist, Special Publication, 31, 233–259.
- Platt, N.H. and Wright, V.P. 1991. Lacustrine carbonates: facies models, facies distributions and hydrocarbon aspects. In: P. Anadon, L. Cabrera, K. Kelts (Eds), Lacustrine Facies Analysis. International Association of Sedimentologists, Special Publication Number, 13, 57–74.
- Purvis, M. and Robertson, A.H.F. 2005. Sedimentation of the Neogene–Recent Alaşehir (Gediz) continental graben system used to test alternative tectonic models for western (Aegean) Turkey. Sedimentary Geology, 173, 373–408.
- Reading, H.G. 1996. Sedimentary environments: processes, facies and stratigraphy. (3 eds) Blackwell Scientific Publication.
- Reilinger, R.E., McClusky, S.C., Oral, M.B., King, R.W., Toksöz, M.N., Barka, A., Kınık, I., Lenk, O. and Şanlı, 1997. Global Positioning System measurements of present-day crustal movements in the Arabia-Africa-Eurasia plate collision zone. Journal of Geophysical Research, 102, 9983–9999.
- Renaut, R.W. and Stead, D. 1991. Recent magnesite-hydromagnesite sedimentation ın playa basins of the Cariboo Plateau, BC. In: British Columbia Geological Survey Fieldwork, Paper 1991-1, 279–288.
- Robertson, A.H.F., Poisson, A. and Akıncı, Ö. 2003. developments in research concerning Mesozoic–Tertiary Tethys and neotectonics in the Isparta Angle, SW Turkey. Geological Journal, 38, 195–234.
- Sagular, E.K. and Görmüş, M. 2006. New stratigraphical results and significance of reworking based on nannofossil, foraminiferal and sedimentological records in the Lower Tertiary sequence from the northern Isparta Angle, Eastern Mediterranean. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences, 27, 78–98.
- Savaşcin, M.Y. and Oyman, T. 1998. Tectono-magmatic evolution of alkaline volcanics at the Kırka-Afyon-Isparta structural trend, SW Turkey. Turkish Journal of Earth Science, 7, 201–214.
- Seyitoğlu, G., Tekeli, O., Çemen, İ., Şen, Ş. and Işık, V. 2002. The role of the flexural rotation/rolling hinge model in the tectonic evolution of the Alaşehir graben, western Turkey. Geological Magazine, 139, 15–26.
- Shanmugam, G. 1997. The Bouma Sequence and Turbidite Mind Set. Earth Science Reviews, 42, 201–229.
- Shanmugam, G. 2002. Ten Turbidite Myths. Earth Science Reviews, 58, 311–341.
- Şengör, A.M.C. and Yılmaz, Y. 1981. Tethyan evolution of Turkey: A Plate Tectonic approach. Tectonophysics, 75, 181–241.
- Taymaz, T., Westaway, R. and Reilinger, R. 2004. Active faulting and crustal deformation in the Eastern Mediterranean region. Tectonophysics, 391, 1–9.
- Thompson, J.B. and Ferris, F.G. 1990. Cyanobacterial precipitation of gypsum, calcite and magnesite from natural alkaline lake water. Geology, 18, 995–998.
- Thompson, J.B., Ferris, F.G. and Smith, D.A. 1990. Geomicrobiology and sedimentology of the mixolimnion and chemocline in Fayetteville Green Lake, New York. Sedimentary Geology, 5, 52–75.
- Verschuren, D. 1999. Influence of lake depth and mixing regime on sedimentation in a small, fluctuating tropical soda lake. Limnol. Oceanograph, 44, 1103–1113.
- Verschuren D. 2002. Climate reconstruction from African lake sediments ESF–HOLIVAR workshop, Lammi Finland.
- Yağmurlu, F. 1991a. Stratigraphy and depositional environments of Yalvaç–Yarıkkaya Neogene Basin. Bulletin of Geological Society of Turkey, 34, 9–19. [In Turkish with English summary]
- Yağmurlu, F. 1991b. Tectono-sedimentary properties and structural evolution of the Yalvaç-Yarıkkaya Neogene Basin. Bulletin of the Mineral Research and Exploration Institute, 112, 1–12. [In Turkish with English summary]
- Zedef, V., Russell, M.J. and Fallick, A.E. 2000. Genesis of vein stockwork and sedimentary magnesite and hydromagnesite deposits in the ultramafic terranes of southwestern Turkey: A stable isotope study. Economic Geology, 95, 429–446.