Multi-criteria approach to comparison of inspection allocation for multi-product manufacturing systems in make-to-order sector
This paper studies multi-product production manufacturing systems with in-line quality control. Quality control is carried at inspection stations located within a production line. Quality control has an impact on performance of the system: throughput decreases and resource utilization increases. Production lines are modeled as a multi-product Open Jackson Network, where stochastic character of routing is a result of quality control operations. Quality inspection can result in feedback to a work station of the manufacturing system. The approach developed allows for comparing different inspection allocations using three principal indices: overall cost, lead-time and equipment utilization.
Bibliogr. 25 poz., wykr.
- BAI, D.S. and YUN, H. J. (1996) Optimal allocation of inspection effort in a serial rnulti stage production system. Computers and Industrial Engineering 30 (3), 387-396.
- BALDWIN R.O., DAVIS IV, N.J., MIDKIFF, S.F. and KOBZA, J.E. (2003) Queueing network analysis: concepts, terminology, and methods. Journal of Systems and Software 66, 99-117.
- BUZACOTT, J.A. and SHANTHIKUMAR, J.G. (1992) Design of manufacturing systems using queueing models. Queueing Systems 12, 135-214.
- CHANG, S.J., HYUN, P.Y. and PARK, E.H. (1996) Quality Costs in Multistage Manufacturing Systems. Computers & Industrial Engineering 31 (1/2), 115-118.
- EHRGOTT, M. and WIECEK, M.M. (2005) Multiobjective programming. In: J. Figueira, S. Greco and M. Ehrgott, eds., Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis. Springer, New York, 667-722.
- BID M.S., MOGHRABI, C. and ELDIN, H.K. (1997) A simulation approach to quality/cost decision scenarios. Computers & Industrial Engineering 33, 105-108.
- GROSS D. and HARRIS, C.M. (1998) Fundamentals of Queuing Theory, 3rd ed. Wiley, New York.
- GURNANI, H., DREZNER, Z. and AKELLA, R. (1996) Capacity planning under different inspection strategies. European Journal of Operational Research 89, 302-312.
- HASKOE A., KINGSMAN E.G. and WORTHINGTON, D. (2004) Performance analysis of make-to-order manufacturing systems under different workload control regimes. International Journal of Production Economics 90, 169-186.
- JACKSON J.R. (1957) Networks of waiting lines. Operational Research 5, 518-521.
- JEWKES, E.M. (1995) Optimal inspection effort and scheduling for a manufacturing process with repair. European Journal of Operational Research 85, 340-351.
- KENDALL, D.G. (1953) Stochastic process occurring in the theory of queues and their analysis by the method of emblended Markov chains. Ann. Math. Statist. 24, 338-354.
- KORPELA, J., LEHMUSVAARA, A. and TUOMINEN, M. (2001) An analytic approach to supply chain development. International Journal of Production Economics 71, 145-155.
- KORYTKOWSKI, P. and ZAIKIN, O. (2007) Quality inspection stations allocation model for multi-product production system. In: Proc. 16th International Conference on Systems Science, Wroclaw, 4-6 September 2007, 529-535.
- MANDROLI, S.S., SHRIVASTAVA, A.K. and DING, Y. (2006) A survey of inspection strategy and sensor distribution studies in discrete-part manufacturing processes. IIE Transactions 38, 309-328.
- OPPERMANN, M., SAUER, W. and WOHLRABE, H. (2003) Optimization of quality costs. Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing 19, 135-140.
- PALADYNI, E.P. (2000) An expert system approach to quality control. Expert Systems with Applications 18, 133-151.
- PAPADOPOULOS, H.T. and HEAVEY C. (1996) Queueing theory in manufacturing systems analysis and design: A classification of models for production and transfer lines. European Journal of Operational Research 92, 1-27.
- RAU, H. and CHO, K.H. (2009) Genetic algorithm modeling for the inspection allocation in reentrant. Expert Systems with Applications.
- REBELLO, R., AGNETIS, A. and MIRCHANDANI, P.B. (1995) Specialized inspection problems in serial production systems. European Journal of Operational Research 80, 277-296.
- SAATY, T.L. (2005) The Analytic Hierarchy and Analytic Network Processes for the Measurement of Intangible Criteria and for Decision-Making. In: J. Figueira, S. Greco and M. Ehrgott, eds., Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis. Springer, New York, 345-405.
- SCHICK, I.C., GERSHWIN, S.B. and KIM, J. (2005) Quality/quantity modeling and analysis of production lines subject to uncertainty. Final report presented to General Motors Research and Development Center.
- SHIAU Y.R. (2003) Inspection allocation planning for a multiple quality characteristic advanced manufacturing system. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 21, 494-500.
- SHIAU, Y.R., LIN, M.H. and CHUANG, W.C. (2007) Concurrent process/inspection planning for a customized manufacturing system based on genetic algorithm. International Journal of Advanced, Manufacturing Technology 33, 746-755.
- VAN VOLSEM S.. DULLAERT W. and VAN LANDEGHEM H. (2007) An evolutionary algorithm and discrete event simulation for optimizing inspection strategies for multi-stage processes. European Journal of Operational Research 179, 621-633.